WHAT IS WRONG WITH UGA RECRUITING

pippin888pippin888 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is happening to recruiting? We got two. TWO!!! Look at all the players leaving the state . But don't worry we have TWO recruits. Somebody please shine some light on this for me. The state looks like house fire with people pouring out of every exit.

Tagged:

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That is what happens when you go 8-5 and lose to Vandy

• donmdonm Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the smaller numbers we can take this year, it's hard to be highly ranked. As several have posted, if we can fill key spots we'll have done well. I think we can sign a larger class in 2019. Will the new rules limit any class to 25 max? In spirits the of the seemingly slow start, I think the staff has a plan they are following. It's not easy to be patient when others are getting tons of commits, but I don't know what else to do.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clearly salyer and hill are the most important, but we also need some pass rushers and DT's... if we lose out on Brenton Cox this week, we are in for full panic mode.. I had read on a site that cox is making a video and Jeff sentell was being cagey about cox, so I'm really hoping they helped him with his video. If we get cox this week and Zeus in June.. things will start looking up..

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ladawg said:
    Clearly salyer and hill are the most important, but we also need some pass rushers and DT's... if we lose out on Brenton Cox this week, we are in for full panic mode.. I had read on a site that cox is making a video and Jeff sentell was being cagey about cox, so I'm really hoping they helped him with his video. If we get cox this week and Zeus in June.. things will start looking up..

Let's hope that there is a video I love those things! And we need some good news! Our pattern last year was bad news, good news. Bad news we lost a OT bc of stupidity, good news...Well we will see ;)

• spradlin24spradlin24 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:

I think we are going to be fine with recruits on the offensive side of the ball in this class. None of the top guys are locks for sure, but we have a shot at landing some really good players on that side of the ball. The issue I see with this class is on the defensive side of the ball and the spots we need to replenish seem to be the areas we are not pushing hard for based on what the recruits are saying.

Monday is an Auburn lean because we have had minimum contact with him since we offered. Adam Anderson and Chatman are LSU bound now. One of the top DT in this class is TK and he has told us Mississippi State and Duke are recruiting him harder than his home state. Sims and Reese are both Michigan bound. Tutt seems like a sure thing to Bama and Allen is headed to ND. Kyler McMichael is not projected to come to UGA, but I do think we still have a chance with him. Michael Harris would be a nice player to land and maybe we gave him something to think about this weekend, but he seems headed to OSU as of right now.

If we can finish strong and maintain the level of contact with Trey Dean, Chris Smith, T.K., Tannor, Jefferies, Tindall, Cox and Jibunor we could have a good defensive haul this class. Hoping we can pull some magic and land Tyreke or Anthony Cook to complete the DB class, but those chances are not as strong as they were a few months ago. As per this listing we are not landing the top guys like we did last year in the state. I am putting all my confidence left in the fact that Kirby knows we have to reload this class in certain areas so we can maintain building high level talent. Not saying we are done for in recruiting, but we are going to have to work hard from now to NSD to be a top 10 class with all the talent that is making their choices early.

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=GA

• SnoopDawgSnoopDawg Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:
    That is what happens when you go 8-5 and lose to Vandy

BOOM! Snoop concurs

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are other things to think about.. if we are winning this year and lead the east things could easily turn.. if hunter Johnson starts at Clemson, Trevor Lawrence could flip back... robert cooper has a 247 crystal ball way after he committed to fsu.. I don't think we ever really wanted mascoll or derrick Allen.. so really the players we want are still pretty open... there's a lot of time, but for sure the margin is getting thin.. but we gotta win, Eason needs to get better, and so does o line.. but the good news is that I think we don't have an issue at WR anymore..

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just information to put out there we have not offered Jibunor. He is overrated in my opinion based off the level of competition he sees at his school and in his region. I think he might look good in shorts but I don't think he can play. I just don't think someone like him has produced like a D-1 prospect should produce.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, jmo here. I still trust the UGA recruiting staff knows what they are doing. Yes, it does indeed seem as if we’re losing a lot of Georgia recruits, but to my knowledge the only 2 we are hitting very hard right now are Salyer and White. Granted those 2 are of grave importance, but the next 10 – 12 in the pecking order we have to assume are being hit pretty solidly as well – we just don’t know exactly who they are at this point. You have to remember, even though he’s only ben HC for just over a year now, CKS is a “keep it close to the vest” kind of guy. I also fully believe he is a hard core “I want players who will work their tails off on this team” type of coach. I know that Lawrence was definitely was a want/need for the UGA staff which we missed on, but there has to be more out there that are hearing from our staff on a several times a week basis.

And I just don’t buy the argument of us having an 8 – 5 season last year as a reason for not getting some of these early recruits. Yes, some committed early, but NSD 2017 was AFTER that 8 – 5 season and we ended that day with a stellar class. We have to believe Smart and company has a well thought out plan – we just don’t know what that is at this point.

I'm also going to throw out the idea of hardwork and what these kids are doing when they are at the respective schools camps. I know the stories of Ramik and Herrera stealing reps and cutting line at Dawg night to get more reps. Which makes a big impression on coaches. I'm just saying maybe some of the guys who people are talking about not being offered don't work hard during the week. I think work ethic comes into play. I rather have a strong work ethic than a guy who can just ball. It just a thought to put out there.

I'm also going to put this thought out there about receivers. The one thing I remember CKS talked about weekly was receivers blocking. I think Smart and company are looking for guys who don't mind the dirty work of blocking. It's also one of the toughest thing to do in football. It's hard to teach and if you are wasting time on a freshman learning how to block you are wasting valuable practice time. So it's just another idea to think about.

Vandy has more 2018 commits than Kirby has. VANDY!

Put that in your Pez Dispenser and munch on it

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2017

@tiger_62082 said:

@dbrown7494 said:
    I'm also going to throw out the idea of hardwork and what these kids are doing when they are at the respective schools camps. I know the stories of Ramik and Herrera stealing reps and cutting line at Dawg night to get more reps. Which makes a big impression on coaches. I'm just saying maybe some of the guys who people are talking about not being offered don't work hard during the week. I think work ethic comes into play. I rather have a strong work ethic than a guy who can just ball. It just a thought to put out there.

I'm also going to put this thought out there about receivers. The one thing I remember CKS talked about weekly was receivers blocking. I think Smart and company are looking for guys who don't mind the dirty work of blocking. It's also one of the toughest thing to do in football. It's hard to teach and if you are wasting time on a freshman learning how to block you are wasting valuable practice time. So it's just another idea to think about.

A lot of generalities and vagueness in your post. Give me an example of "some of these kids not working hard throughout the week." I just posted 2 direct, credible sources that say the opposite of Mr. Jibunor. His work ethic and attitude have been universally praised- including by Jeff. Specificity- not spin and blind speculation- makes you more credible. If your point of view is that you trust the coaches no matter what and would follow them through the gates of hell, then that's fine. No one will complain about that. However, don't trash these kids or insinuate bad things about them because you want an excuse to suit your point of view. That's disrespectful.

As for "credible" sources in the recruiting business--there are often conflicting stories. Just to cite one reason---what a recruit says from reporter to reporter might change. The paid organizations (not Dawgnation) we are spammed with on this forum have their own agendas to promote as well. @dbrown7494 is indeed speculating as to a reason we don't chase after some kids as hard as some think we should. The point is--you don't "know" enough to criticize the staff as if they are not doing their jobs. You can cite all the sources you want, but unless there are as many leaks coming out of our program as the Trump administration, you won't ever know the reasons for what this staff does. Criticism is not questioning. It is drawing a conclusion. And if you don't have all the facts from both sides--it is pure speculation. Don't trash our program just to suit your point of view. That's disrespectful.

@spradlin24 said:
    Not saying we are done for in recruiting, but we are going to have to work hard from now to NSD to be a top 10 class with all the talent that is making their choices early.

Don't forget, the choice these kids make can be like shifting sand. We are not done until they sign the LOI.

@SnoopDawg said:

@donm said:

@SnoopDawg said:

\Not sure I'd want to bet that it will end up that way by signing day....maybe in #'s it may be close but not in quality.

@JayDog apparently we are the only ones on the same page here. I was trying put some thoughts out there. That's why I said the word thought 8 times. I don't understand the attack by him when I'm putting some thoughts or ideas out there. I guess that's what happens when someone doesn't fit their agenda of who they want.

@tiger_62082 coaches always look at competition when looking at a boy. They ask who is the best player they faced all year as well as teams they face. It's a great way to look at film as well as to know when to show up to watch the boy play.

@JayDog said:

@spradlin24 said:
    Not saying we are done for in recruiting, but we are going to have to work hard from now to NSD to be a top 10 class with all the talent that is making their choices early.

Don't forget, the choice these kids make can be like shifting sand. We are not done until they sign the LOI.

I agree with you which is why I said we are not done for yet. It is just going to be harder the further behind we get with kids deciding early and then recruiting for the school they choose. I hope many of the top guys change their minds after a great season this year. I remain on the fence of how this class will turn out and will continue to ponder some of the decisions made that this awesome staff points out to us all. We don't have to sign the type of class we did last year, but we still have several holes to fill based on who is leaving next year and who could leave early. DL, LB, DB and RB are all positions of need in this class since we are losing several to graduation and several more could go early if they have a great season.

@dbrown7494 said:
    @tiger_62082 coaches always look at competition when looking at a boy. They ask who is the best player they faced all year as well as teams they face. It's a great way to look at film as well as to know when to show up to watch the boy play.

I agree with this to a point, but NIck Chubb did not play elite talent in high school because Cedartown was a lower class high school, but he was still a grown man. Brian Herrien was another that played for a terrible team and in a region that was not very good all around, but he has turned out really good too. I agree part of the equation has to be the level they play in because not everyone is fit to play on the SEC level, but it can only be a small portion of the entire evaluation.

@spradlin24 I think everyone realized Chubb was a grown man at birth. Lol Herrien was hindered by playing at a new school and not having the grades to not get a lot of looks early on. It does go into evaluation when you are looking at a boys position. For example how much does the boys oppentents throw the ball when you are looking at a corner and things like that matter in evaluating a player

I totally agree with that, but that is also where the camps come into play. Some kids play in regions that will not throw the ball. Especially in Georgia with the wing-t being a big part of this football culture. You are correct that a lot goes into making sure this guy is able to play at the highest level in college.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    @JayDog apparently we are the only ones on the same page here. I was trying put some thoughts out there. That's why I said the word thought 8 times. I don't understand the attack by him when I'm putting some thoughts or ideas out there. I guess that's what happens when someone doesn't fit their agenda of who they want.

No @dbrown7494 , you and @JayDog are not the only ones. I agree wholeheartedly with you. Its ok for him to bash others, but boy let someone disagree with him and the gloves come off.

I still don't like camps because of anyone can look good in shorts and a tshirt. I think there too much emphasis placed on them by media and fans. I rather see pads do the talking.

I watched a linebacker who currently is at Georgia, 6 different times who was a 4 star recruit get carried 30 yards by a running back to the endzone for a touchdown. Note 3 other teammates were dragged there on that play as well. But in those 6 times watching him I never saw anything that stood out to be 4 star. So I guess shorts and tshirt do pay off for some.
    I thought the running back should of had his offers because by the end of the year he was second to Chubb in yards and had more touchdowns than Chubb.

This blog post is off topic but relevant to the discussion in this thread--Critical Thinking vs Criticism
    https://suzannemanningblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/critical-thinking-versus-criticism-helping-students-know-the-difference/

@dbrown7494 said:
    I still don't like camps because of anyone can look good in shorts and a tshirt. I think there too much emphasis placed on them by media and fans. I rather see pads do the talking.

I watched a linebacker who currently is at Georgia, 6 different times who was a 4 star recruit get carried 30 yards by a running back to the endzone for a touchdown. Note 3 other teammates were dragged there on that play as well. But in those 6 times watching him I never saw anything that stood out to be 4 star. So I guess shorts and tshirt do pay off for some.
    I thought the running back should of had his offers because by the end of the year he was second to Chubb in yards and had more touchdowns than Chubb.

I agree that kids often get over looked when they are great. My nephew was in the top 10 in rushing in the state with a bum ankle the last 3 games in 2014, but because he did not fit the size parameters that many schools have he was not offered. Grady Jarrett that played at Clemson and now for the Falcons was not brought in at UGA because he was considered too short to play DT. He said when they played us those two season he used that to motivate him to win his battles each snap. The kid you are referring to was quite the back. I follow a lot of high school ball all over the state and he was special in his time. Kids like that all over get overlooked.

Yeah that's the unfortunate truth of the game. He was a little small height wise though

More and more it's Salyer to Clemson, Zeus to Bama or Ohio State and Hill anywhere but Athens

@dbrown7494 said:
    Yeah that's the unfortunate truth of the game. He was a little small height wise though

Truth

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SnoopDawg c'mon man don't be so negative.