Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA/Tennessee Game

francofranco Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Hi everyone - thanks in advance for any information and also my apologies if this is not the right place to post this question.

I am making the trip to Athens next weekend for my bachelor party. It was an easy decision to come to Georgia as we've read great things about the atmosphere there on game days and the southern hospitality in general. We have a group of 10 guys in their early 30s.

Hoping people can point me in the right direction of the must go places on game day. Also looking for a good BBQ place. The northeast does not know how to smoke meats.

Greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Comments

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Butt Hut for BBQ. Best tailgating would be at Meyer's Quad or North Campus. As far as bars go, Georgia Theater rooftop bar, Magnolia's, Silver Dollar, and General's are all good. If you're into craft beer check out Creature Comforts downtown. Terrapin is another good brewery, but out of the way for a gameday experience.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

For a completely historical thing, you have to check out The Varsity.

I like the Mellow Mushroom....but hell....I'm also old.

• francofranco Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Added all of your recommendations to-do list. Thanks to the both of you!

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@franco said:
    Added all of your recommendations to-do list. Thanks to the both of you!

Last Resort is my favorite restaurant in town (their red velvet cake and white chocolate chip cheesecake are great) and Mama's Boy is a good breakfast spot, but I'm sure they'll be pretty packed out on a game weekend. If you're a coffee drinker swing by Jittery Joe's. Blue Sky is another great bar that has a really wide selection of craft beers.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bachelor Party? Toppers - if that's still a thing. It's been 6 years since I've been to Athens but will also be going back UT/UGA weekend. I'll be with my Fiance so I won't see you at Toppers, but have fun! Just hit up the downtown area and bar crawl until you find one that suits your style.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg Gone Good BBQ downtown is pretty good. Rustic is a compliment to the building. Food makes up for it, though.

Saucehouse is okay.

As mentioned earlier, Butt Hutt ain't bad.

Try the spinache divine if you go to DDawg Gone Good. I hate cooked spinach. I love his spinach divine.

Have a great visit to Athens town.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Bachelor Party? Toppers - if that's still a thing. It's been 6 years since I've been to Athens but will also be going back UT/UGA weekend. I'll be with my Fiance so I won't see you at Toppers, but have fun! Just hit up the downtown area and bar crawl until you find one that suits your style.

Hahaha. Yeah my man stay clear

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@franco - hope you have a blast this weekend! Go Dawgs!