Our 10 highest rated players thru 6 games according to Pro Football Focus..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  1. Lamont Galliard 82.3 ( 334 snaps.
    7 tie. Jordan Davis. 83 ( 52 snaps)
    7 tie. Ben Cleveland 83 ( 204 snaps)
    7 tie. JR Reed 83 (305 snaps)
    1. Richard Lecounte 84 (327 snaps)
    2. D'Andre Walker 84.5 (308 snaps)
    3. Tyler Clark 88.6 (164 snaps)
    4. Deandre Baker 90.2 (308 snaps)
    5. Justin Fields 90.4 (98 snaps)
    6. Andrew Thomas 90.8 ( 206 snaps)

Notes. Thomas has the highest rating for any OT and it'sjust under Wynn's 2017 rating.
Personally I think Fields' should at best have an incomplete.
Fromm has the 6th highest QB rating in CFB but isn't our highest rated by PFF....makes sense to me.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 10

My first thought is that the list goes down in rank then back up again. Or is it up then down again?

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

My second thought is I agree with you on Fields. And Davis for that matter. I have no idea how they come up with the score, but there should be a minimum number of snaps required.

• sanddc178sanddc178 Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

No surprise seeing Tyler and DeAndre that high. I'd put either of them at #1 instead.

And yeah, the numbering is .... off?

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 191 ✭✭✭ Junior

Surprised that Jordan Davis in only ranked in a tie for 7th. Would be hard to be more impressive than what he's shown (albeit in mysteriously limited snaps). I demand PFF do a recount!!!

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    10. Lamont Galliard 82.3 ( 334 snaps.
    6. Richard Lecounte 84 (327 snaps)
    5. D'Andre Walker 84.5 (308 snaps)
    4. Tyler Clark 88.6 (164 snaps)
    3. Deandre Baker 90.2 (308 snaps)
    2. Justin Fields 90.4 (98 snaps)
    1. Andrew Thomas 90.8 ( 206 snaps)

Notes. Thomas has the highest rating for any OT and it'sjust under Wynn's 2017 rating.
    Fromm has the 6th highest QB rating in CFB but isn't our highest rated by PFF....makes sense to me.

Thoughts ?

Why wouldn't Davis be an incomplete as well? Only 52 snaps. I don't see any break in the sequence...it's the top 10 starting from # 10, right? Where is the down again, up again thing supposed to be/

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PFF is difficult to understand. I haven’t personally tried to understand it, I just review the grades. Believe this isnt based off of snaps so these are our most productive players regardless of snaps per PFF.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

Thoughts ?

Why wouldn't Davis be an incomplete as well? Only 52 snaps. I don't see any break in the sequence...it's the top 10 starting from # 10, right? Where is the down again, up again thing supposed to be/

is it the three way tie for 7th that is throwing people off?

• Sparky_DAWGSparky_DAWG Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t understand why Fields made the list and Fromm didn’t. 🤯

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 10

@Bulldawg90 said:
    My first thought is that the list goes down in rank then back up again. Or is it up then down again?

When they're up they're up
    When they're down they're down .
    When they are only half way up
    They are neither up nor down.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

Thoughts ?

I concur.. out he goes.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Something weird. Wc's op starts at 10 then 3 at 7 then goes 6-11 down to Thomas. However if you quote the post ,it goes 1-10 Thomas to Galliard respectively. ITS MAGIC

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    PFF is difficult to understand. I haven’t personally tried to understand it, I just review the grades. Believe this isnt based off of snaps so these are our most productive players regardless of snaps per PFF.

I think it's on a per snap basis.

@sanddc178 said:
    No surprise seeing Tyler and DeAndre that high. I'd put either of them at #1 instead.

Brain fart...big ole case of cranial gas, I didn't notice till just now.

@RPMdawg said:
    Something weird. Wc's op starts at 10 then 3 at 7 then goes 6-11 down to Thomas. However if you quote the post ,it goes 1-10 Thomas to Galliard respectively. ITS MAGIC

Sorry I am.

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

Sorry I am.

WC read my post again and look at Don's post when he quoted you. It is numbered correctly if you use the "quote" button. That's the magic

@WCDawg said:

Thoughts ?

I'm for real its freaky^^^

@Sparky_DAWG said:
    I don’t understand why Fields made the list and Fromm didn’t. 🤯

me neither. Makes me question how these grades are arrived at. If they're not UGA coaches' grades, they are suspect to me.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no idea what this list even means, but if it is some sort of MVP listing, I’d expect Hardman, Holyfield and Hot Rod to be on it.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

The more detailed version:

10 - C Lamont Gaillard - 82.3 (334 snaps)
    In 334 snaps, second on the team behind Isaiah Wilson, has an 82.3 overall grade, fifth among all FBS centers in the country with over 100 snaps and by far the best in the SEC, with Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins next at 73.9, good for No. 14 overall. For reference, Gaillard graded out with a 72.2 his junior season, his first at center, and a 72.7 his sophomore season at right guard.
    The 86.8 pass-blocking grade on 159 snaps is third on the team, No. 8 in the country, and No. 2 in the SEC behind Lloyd Cushenberry III (88.1). Gaillard has yet to allow a quarterback sack or hit, and has allowed three total quarterback hurries in those snaps, with one penalty. His 78.0 run blocking grade on 175 snaps is fourth among Georgia offensive linemen and eighth overall on the team, but good for fifth among all FBS centers and best in the SEC, with Jenkins again next in the country with a 67.7 grade, good for No. 25 overall.

7 - (tie) DT Jordan Davis - 83.0 (52 snaps)
    Davis has made the most of his playing time this season, with his 81.5 run defense grade on 34 snaps ranking fifth on the team. Davis has also done fairly well on 18 pass rush snaps with a 70.2 grade, good for fourth on the team in that area, with two quarterback hurries. The freshman has yet to miss a tackle or get called for a penalty this season.

7 - (tie) RG Ben Cleveland - 83.0 (204 snaps)
    After emerging as a quality starter at right guard last season (72.0 overall grade), Cleveland is beginning to show why he was highly rated coming out of high school. In 100 snaps, Cleveland has a 91.2 pass-blocking grade, best on the team, best among all FBS guards, and No. 5 among all FBS offensive linemen. He has yet to allow a quarterback pressure of any kind and has no penalties so far. His 81.4 run-blocking grade is third-best on the team, second among the Bulldogs' offensive linemen this season thus far, tenth among FBS guards and second to Vanderbilt's Bruno Reagan (81.5) among SEC guards.

7 - (tie). S J.R. Reed - 83.0 (305 snaps)
    Last season saw Reed emerge as arguably the biggest surprise for Georgia, from a little-known Tulsa transfer to one of the most productive defensive backs in the SEC, ending the year with a 72.0 overall grade. Now, Reed is making his presence felt across the board. His overall grade is No. 18 overall among FBS safeties with 100 snaps and seventh in the SEC. Reed has a 74.6 run defense grade on 124 snaps, a 68.8 tackling grade, and an 84.8 coverage grade on 179 snaps, third-best on the team, 18th . Reed is tied with Natrez Patrick for the team-high of five missed tackles on the season but has allowed just 59 yards and zero touchdowns in coverage thus far, with an interception, a pass breakup, and a 43.5 passer rating when targeted.

6 - S Richard LeCounte III - 84.0 (327 snaps)
    In a defense-high 327 snaps, Lecounte is shining in his first season as a starter. He has the fourth-best overall grade on the defense, No. 14 among all FBS safeties and fifth among SEC safeties. his 75.4 run defense grade on 131 snaps is 13th on the team, his 79.5 tackling grade is 11th on the team, with three missed tackles to date, while his 85.8 coverage grade on 196 snaps is second on the team and No. 14 among FBS safeties, allowing 93 yards, no touchdowns, with three pass breakups this season.

5 - Edge rusher D'Andre Walker - 84.5 (216 snaps)
    Walker is about two games from surpassing his 272 snaps played from last season, and playing at a similar level to his junior campaign, where he also ended with an 84.5 overall grade. That grade thus far this season is good for No. 13 among FBS edge rushers and fourth in the SEC. He has a 75.3 run defense grade on 81 snaps, 15th on the team, and a 75.0 tackling grade, 22nd on the team. His team-best 80.5 pass rushing grade is good for No. 22 in the country and fourth in the SEC at his position. While the 22 coverage snaps may have raised some eyebrows, Walker,s 79.7 grade in that area actually ranks sixth-best on the team and No. 12 at his position in the country and second-best in the SEC. He has been targeted five times, allowing one catch for five yards, with one pass breakup, one penalty, and a 39.6 passer rating when targeted.

4 - DL Tyler Clark - 88.6 (164 snaps)
    Clark is truly enjoying the breakout season many projected. After grading out with a 64.5 as a freshman and a 68.0 as a sophomore, Clark has exploded with an 88.6 this junior campaign so far, good for No. 8 overall in the country and No. 4 in the SEC at his position. Clark is the team's top run defender with a 90.4 grade on 68 snaps, good for No. 6 overall in the country and third in the SEC among interior defensive lineman. He has a 79.7 tackling grade, good for No. 10 on the team, with zero missed tackles, a 73.1 pass rush grade on 96 snaps that is second best on the team.

edited October 11

3 - CB Deandre Baker - 90.2 (308 snaps)
    Baker has improved each season, getting a 55.8 grade in 2015, a 75.3 grade in 2016, an 86.8 grade in 2017, and a 90.2 grade so far this season, best on the team and best among all FBS cornerbacks and No. 14 among all defensive players. Baker has a 70.4 run defense grade on 123 snaps. A team-high 89.3 tackling grade that is No. 6 among FBS cornerbacks and best in the SEC, and a 90.4 coverage grade that is the best in the country at his position and No. 7 among all FBS defenders. Baker has been targeted 24 times this season, allowing 14 catches for 111 yards, zero touchdowns, with two interceptions and six pass breakups, good for a 35.2 passer rating. He has two penalties this season, both in the South Carolina game. He has yet to miss a tackle this season.

2 - QB Justin Fields - 90.4 (98 snaps)
    Fields has made a strong case for seeing the field, with his overall grade good for No. 12 in the country if he played enough snaps to qualify. His 81.6 rushing grade is eighth among FBS quarterbacks. His 80.5 passing grade on 36 snaps is best on the team and No. 47 overall among FBS quarterbacks and fifth in the SEC.

1 - LT Andrew Thomas - 90.8 (206 snaps)
    Thomas has picked up where 2018 first round selection left off. Wynn had a 91.3 overall grade, 85.0 pass-blocking grade, and a 90.9 run-blocking grade in 2017. Thomas has a 90.8 overall grade, best in the country among offensive linemen, a 74.4 pass-blocking grade, and a 90.5 run-blocking grade, best in the country for FBS offensive tackles and second-best among FBS offensive linemen.

Just missed: DE David Marshall (81.1), DB William Poole III (80.4)

Special Teams: Rodrigo Blankenship's 85.7 field goal grade is fourth-best in the country and best in the SEC. His 90.4 kickoff grade is by far the best in the country, with the next-best being an 88.1. Jake Camarda's 73.5 punting grade is No. 21 in the country, fifth in the SEC. Mecole Hardman Jr.'s 89.7 punt return grade is 13th in the country, second-best in the SEC behind Alabama's Jaylen Waddle (90.2). His 79.0 kickoff return grade is No. 25 in the country and third in the SEC.# #

@RandomFan said:
    Baker has improved each season, getting a 55.8 grade in 2015, a 75.3 grade in 2016, an 86.8 grade in 2017, and a 90.2 grade so far this season, best on the team and best among all FBS cornerbacks and No. 14 among all defensive players. Baker has a 70.4 run defense grade on 123 snaps. A team-high 89.3 tackling grade that is No. 6 among FBS cornerbacks and best in the SEC, and a 90.4 coverage grade that is the best in the country at his position and No. 7 among all FBS defenders. Baker has been targeted 24 times this season, allowing 14 catches for 111 yards, zero touchdowns, with two interceptions and six pass breakups, good for a 35.2 passer rating. He has two penalties this season, both in the South Carolina game. He has yet to miss a tackle this season.

Fields has made a strong case for seeing the field, with his overall grade good for No. 12 in the country if he played enough snaps to qualify. His 81.6 rushing grade is eighth among FBS quarterbacks. His 80.5 passing grade on 36 snaps is best on the team and No. 47 overall among FBS quarterbacks and fifth in the SEC.

Thomas has picked up where 2018 first round selection left off. Wynn had a 91.3 overall grade, 85.0 pass-blocking grade, and a 90.9 run-blocking grade in 2017. Thomas has a 90.8 overall grade, best in the country among offensive linemen, a 74.4 pass-blocking grade, and a 90.5 run-blocking grade, best in the country for FBS offensive tackles and second-best among FBS offensive linemen.

Special Teams: Rodrigo Blankenship's 85.7 field goal grade is fourth-best in the country and best in the SEC. His 90.4 kickoff grade is by far the best in the country, with the next-best being an 88.1. Jake Camarda's 73.5 punting grade is No. 21 in the country, fifth in the SEC. Mecole Hardman Jr.'s 89.7 punt return grade is 13th in the country, second-best in the SEC behind Alabama's Jaylen Waddle (90.2). His 79.0 kickoff return grade is No. 25 in the country and third in the SEC.# #

Very impressed by Big Ben's performance. Didn't know he was rated as highly as he is. Still wish I knew how the #s were arrived at.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭ Junior

The detailed report helps, still think a few should be left out due to the minimum number of snaps.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sanddc178 said:

I'm embarrassed that it took so long for me to figure out what you were getting at. 🙄 3 Card Monte, anyone?

@donm said:

@RandomFan said:

Very impressed by Big Ben's performance. Didn't know he was rated as highly as he is. Still wish I knew how the #s were arrived at.

The numbering system uses an advanced metrics platform, other than that it's Greek to me.
    Not accounting for volume is a huge flaw. I'm guessing Swift would have rated higher than either Chubb or Michel using this method last season. Starting is a more complete test than simply coming in for a few snaps.

Thomas, Baker and Fromm are our 3 top players, I don't need a formula to see that much.

@WCDawg said:
    Thomas, Baker and Fromm are our 3 top players, I don't need a formula to see that much.

The point I've been trying to make. Many stats - advanced or not advanced - sounds like an adjective designed to give credibility to the statistic being created - I digress - are not really an upgrade over a good coach's eyes - or even a forum based coach like many of us are. I mean, ypc in the 3rd quarter against an SEC West opponent, on the road, in a night game, following a blowout win against a decent FCS team which was preceded by a close call against an SEC opponent...how picky can these things get? What does Sam Pittman think of his OL guys once he watches film. Good enough to keep starting or not? That's about all I care to know. I guess it's better to be highly ranked like our kids are than to be ranked lower...I guess.

• Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

I feel like the PFF #s gives the best insight on OL (because they have always been graded, and most of us don't always know how they actually did) and Cornerbacks, where it has many statistics to grade. Several of these others are subjective and give little insight. I'm not sure how you grade intangibles of line checks by QBs and LBs.....Or safeties that don't miss a tackle because they weren't aggressive enough to be a part of the play anyway. We have had safeties (not mentioning names) that do a great job showing up once the ball carrier is on the ground.....I'm sure they graded ok.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Pretty sure PFF rates every snap as a -2, -1, 0, 1, 2. They then use some formula for sum_of_snaps/number_of_snaps and come up with a traditional 0(really probably 40 or so)-100 scale. Generally, it seems to me that it rewards consistently solid play more so than neutral play with some bad mess ups but a couple of really big plays. So even if you forced a fumble, recovered it, and scored on that play, you’re still only going to get a +2 on that play, so if you were getting blown off the ball for 10 plays in the game, you’ll still grade out poorly.

@umooner said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Pretty sure PFF rates every snap as a -2, -1, 0, 1, 2. They then use some formula for sum_of_snaps/number_of_snaps and come up with a traditional 0(really probably 40 or so)-100 scale. Generally, it seems to me that it rewards consistently solid play more so than neutral play with some bad mess ups but a couple of really big plays. So even if you forced a fumble, recovered it, and scored on that play, you’re still only going to get a +2 on that play, so if you were getting blown off the ball for 10 plays in the game, you’ll still grade out poorly.

@umooner said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Looking at the number of snaps for Fields and Davis, it seems impossible they factor quantity into their rating.