What is the answer to our short yard struggles?

law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is the answer to our short yard/ red zone struggles?

I say Justin Fields. And before you say it no this is not another play Justin Fields post. But think about it Justin Fields provide so many challenges to a defense. Putting him in short-yardage and red zone situations would be brilliant.

What do you guys think would be the answer too short yardage & Red Zone situations?

«1

Comments

  • greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @YaleDawg said:
    Spread the defense instead of bunching 11 defenders over the ball and running up the middle. Also utilize fields

    Same, and shift the line laterally

  • oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    The real answer is continuity on the O-line. There is no reason that with the talented players Georgia has that they have trouble getting one yard. Of course that is not going to happen this weekend Because of Gaillard's injury. A jump pass by Fromm or if Justin is in the game a rollout pass. Everyone is looking for Georgia to keep running between the tackles.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Give coach @nycdawg more input for the playcalling

  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    more cowbell

  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Made it three comments before the s h i t posting started. This forum has really gone downhill

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @YaleDawg said:
    Made it three comments before the s h i t posting started. This forum has really gone downhill

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @YaleDawg said:
    Spread the defense instead of bunching 11 defenders over the ball and running up the middle. Also utilize fields

    They should spread it out with Fromm still in there. They can still run in this formation. Clearly allowing 10 defenders in the box isn’t working.

  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Teddy said:

    @YaleDawg said:
    Spread the defense instead of bunching 11 defenders over the ball and running up the middle. Also utilize fields

    They should spread it out with Fromm still in there. They can still run in this formation. Clearly allowing 10 defenders in the box isn’t working.

    Yeah it's not an all or nothing philosophy. I think we should do both

  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Kasey said:

    @YaleDawg said:
    Made it three comments before the s h i t posting started. This forum has really gone downhill

    @pgjackson sheds a tear for every off topic post made on the forum. Please think of his feelings before posting

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Teddy said:

    @YaleDawg said:
    Spread the defense instead of bunching 11 defenders over the ball and running up the middle. Also utilize fields

    They should spread it out with Fromm still in there. They can still run in this formation. Clearly allowing 10 defenders in the box isn’t working.

    Spread the formation along the LOS, mix it up, defenses are being allowed to just stack the center of the line without concern for anything else. Use seal blocking instead of just clogging running lanes with bodies.

  • VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 6

    Do the same thing but with fields. In the goal line stand against UF, the backside edge man was crashing downhill and making contact at or before the LOS. 13 and 7, IMHO, were lined up too deep for such a short gain requirement making the play take too long to develope. Tighten up the formation and consider giving it to Ford at FB.

    Also put in fields. Fromm CANNOT sneak it in when the whole world knows we are running up the gut. Fields can hand it off just as well as Fromm but brings a devastating threat of a naked boot. The edge men must play disciplined or it’s 6 every time.

  • BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Spread the defense 3 or 4 wide and put Fields back there. Dangerous.

  • DieHardDogDieHardDog Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

    Instead of trying to run through the line how about going over it. Maybe Herschel, Gurley & Knowshon could give a class.

  • donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @DieHardDog said:
    Instead of trying to run through the line how about going over it. Maybe Herschel, Gurley & Knowshon could give a class.

    A Herschel type leap is good. A Tebow type jump pass is good. Widening the line splits on occasion might be good.

  • MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @BoroDawg said:
    Spread the defense 3 or 4 wide and put Fields back there. Dangerous.

    THIS is the answer! Just as the field becomes more condensed in the red zone, teams are putting EVERYBODY in the box and bringin the house. Spread the field and make the defense respect every inch of it instead of a 12 ft box. Besides that, these are the EXACT times to utilize the athleticism of Fields. Do some roll outs where he has the run/throw option and I guaran d a m n tee Fields will stick it in somehow!

  • a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 55 ✭✭ Sophomore

    The offensive line getting healthy, more experienced and having more depth. Which should happen next season when most of this current group (sans the center, the only senior) returns and the recruiting class has at least 3 and hopefully 4 new guys to add to the mix. That is all.

  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Spreading it out at least on occasion, even shifting pre-play from a spread to compact or vice versa to create confusion. I love smash mouth football, but it hasn't worked yet. I don't understand the logic of taking Fields out and having Fromm running the sneak. If Fromm has been in the whole drive then sure he sneaks it, but when Justin was just in there why not him?

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Spreading it out at least on occasion, even shifting pre-play from a spread to compact or vice versa to create confusion. I love smash mouth football, but it hasn't worked yet. I don't understand the logic of taking Fields out and having Fromm running the sneak. If Fromm has been in the whole drive then sure he sneaks it, but when Justin was just in there why not him?

    You can also take advantage of a defense stacked to the middle by moving the QB laterally on RPOs, often there will be wide open receivers or clear running lanes.

  • MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Spreading it out at least on occasion, even shifting pre-play from a spread to compact or vice versa to create confusion. I love smash mouth football, but it hasn't worked yet. I don't understand the logic of taking Fields out and having Fromm running the sneak. If Fromm has been in the whole drive then sure he sneaks it, but when Justin was just in there why not him?

    You can also take advantage of a defense stacked to the middle by moving the QB laterally on RPOs, often there will be wide open receivers or clear running lanes.

    Amen @WCDawg . We're talking literally 2 yards or less. Getting a stud athlete away from all those bodies piled at the LOS and letting a TE release on a roll out is nearly unstoppable. If the backer or safety covers the TE, Fields can moonwalk into the endzone. If he tries to make the tackle on Fields it's literally a 5 yard pass or less.

  • PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 6

    Putting Fields in a shotgun with a back beside him forces the defense to worry about the edges. Adding a WR or two moves a minimum of two corners out, and likely more. Then just pound the rock up the middle. Fields could also, once they are spread out, run up to the center and sneak it. All ways to get bodies out of the middle and not change our net offensive force one bit. He could also jump pass to keep them honest. I’m surprised they haven’t figured this out. Fields is harder to bring down than Jake, too.

  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @YaleDawg said:
    Spread the defense instead of bunching 11 defenders over the ball and running up the middle.

    This. ^^^^^

    Or, maybe running wide instead of trying it up the middle against an 11-man stacked in the box defensive formation.

  • PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 281 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Wild Dawg?

  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    THERE ARE Several really proven ways to "stunt" ....Trap blocking, mis-direction, off-tackle runs, & counters just to name a few... these are just some of the age old ways of creating even just something as small as just 1.0 to 1.5 seconds of a glimmer of defensive line confusion??? That is enough to create the hole in the line necessary to break through. Then? Some Georgia offensive success will bring about the confidence that follows!!! GEORGIA ALREADY HAS WHAT IT TAKES.... THEY SIMPLY NEED TO BELIEVE!!!! KEEP CHOPPING!!! GO DAWGS!!!

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @MacDawg15 said:

    @WCDawg said:

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Spreading it out at least on occasion, even shifting pre-play from a spread to compact or vice versa to create confusion. I love smash mouth football, but it hasn't worked yet. I don't understand the logic of taking Fields out and having Fromm running the sneak. If Fromm has been in the whole drive then sure he sneaks it, but when Justin was just in there why not him?

    You can also take advantage of a defense stacked to the middle by moving the QB laterally on RPOs, often there will be wide open receivers or clear running lanes.

    Amen @WCDawg . We're talking literally 2 yards or less. Getting a stud athlete away from all those bodies piled at the LOS and letting a TE release on a roll out is nearly unstoppable. If the backer or safety covers the TE, Fields can moonwalk into the endzone. If he tries to make the tackle on Fields it's literally a 5 yard pass or less.

    Let's be clear, I never mentioned Fields, Jake is very capable of running those plays.
    Of course they could be run with Fields as well.

  • ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Called a fullback. If you don't know what that is: it's a larger more powerful back that hits the hole ahead of the regular running back. Also a great fake option or hand it to the big boy. One of my favorite UGA players of all time was JT Wall

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 6

    @christopherules said:
    THERE ARE Several really proven ways to "stunt" ....Trap blocking, mis-direction, off-tackle runs, & counters just to name a few... these are just some of the age old ways of creating even just something as small as just 1.0 to 1.5 seconds of a glimmer of defensive line confusion??? That is enough to create the hole in the line necessary to break through. Then? Some Georgia offensive success will bring about the confidence that follows!!! GEORGIA ALREADY HAS WHAT IT TAKES.... THEY SIMPLY NEED TO BELIEVE!!!! KEEP CHOPPING!!! GO DAWGS!!!

    I like just isolated seal/trap blocking in goal line situations. Zone blocking to both sides of center is good as well, but puts more on the table for the QB to read, which can take too long, as we've seen this season.

    Center seals in, guard and tackle seals out, with a TE taking out defenders trying to plug the hole or releasing to become a target in RPO.
    or.. TE, T and G all seal in and either a RB or QB runs off tackle with a receiver blocking downfield and another receiver getting open for a possible pass.
    There is a whole mess of possibilities we aren't using. Bobo became very good at mixing it up near the goal line.

  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

    PTDB

  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

    And I don't if it really matters if it's Fields or Fromm for just 1 yard... Having Fromm back there could at least make them think about the pass a little more. Not that Fields can't throw it either, but he (or the coaches) have seemed to abandoned that part of his game for now.

  • judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    I personally think we need to use a fullback somehow. That’s how teams have solved short yardage problems since football was invented.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.