Rank our OL, 1 -10, assuming they're all healthy

theoriginalpitbulltheoriginalpitbull Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thomas, 2\3 tie: Cleveland, Galliard, Wilson, Kindley, Mays, Baker, Hill, Schaffer, Salyer?

In their current condition: Thomas, Galliard (back at practice, assume all good), Wilson, Kindley, Cleveland (back at practice, but has a ways to go before being back to his pre-injury level), Baker, Hill, Mays (stinger), Schaffer, Salyer?

Comments

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

are you asking to rank our current offensive lineman from best to worst?

i'll just give some people some fun stats on the guys. I am going to rank them on how high they were recruited

Jamaree Salyer: Freshman 6'4" 325 pounds and a 5* OG recruit who was ranked as the number 1 OG in his class and number 10 recruit in the nation. Highest level offensive lineman ever recruited by UGA I do believe

Isaiah Wilson: Sophomore 6'7" 340 pounds and a 5* OT recruit who was the number 14 overall recruit in the nation in his class and 5th in his position. Recruited higher than Richard Lecounte and D'andre Swift

Cade Mays: Freshman 6'6" 320 pounds and a 5* OT who was ranked as the number 3 OT in his class and 22 ranked overall recruit in the country. We have all seen how physical this guy is and how quickly he has caught onto Sam Pittmans system

Andrew Thomas: Sophomore 6'5" 320 pounds and a 4* OT recruit who was ranked 9th in his position in his class

Trey Hill: Freshman 6'4" 330 pounds and a 4* OG who was ranked as the number 3 OG in his class. Trey Hill and Jake Fromm played on the same High School team

Ben Cleveland: RS Sophomore 6'6" 335 pounds and a 4* OT recruit who was ranked the number 10 OT in his class

Lamont Gaillard: RS Senior 6'2" 310 pounds and a 4* DT recruit

Kendall Baker: RS Senior 6'6" 305 pounds and a 4* OT that was ranked number 21 in his position

Justin Shaffer: Sophomore 6'4" 345 pounds and a 3* OG who was ranked number 23 in his position

Solomon Kindley: RS Sophomore 6'4" 335 pounds and a 3* OT who was ranked number 89 in his position

the funnest part of this is that the above guys make up 3 freshman, 5 sophomores, no juniors and a 2 seniors

average height = 6'5"
    average weight = 327 pounds

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 395 ✭✭✭ Junior

Interesting topic. I don't know enough about the intricacies of oline play to participate, but will be following this thread.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just a shot here. Not sure of the stats and who has graded out the best but here goes:

1 Thomas
    2 Galliard
    3 Cleveland
    4 Wilson
    5 Mays
    6 Kindley
    7 Baker
    8 Salyer
    9 Hill
    10 Shaffer

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

IMO:

Thomas
    Galliard
    Cleveland/Mays
    Wilson
    Kindley
    Hill
    Baker
    Salyer
    Shaffer

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

i'll just give some people some fun stats on the guys. I am going to rank them on how high they were recruited

Jamaree Salyer: Freshman 6'4" 325 pounds and a 5* OG recruit who was ranked as the number 1 OG in his class and number 10 recruit in the nation. Highest level offensive lineman ever recruited by UGA I do believe

Isaiah Wilson: Sophomore 6'7" 340 pounds and a 5* OT recruit who was the number 14 overall recruit in the nation in his class and 5th in his position. Recruited higher than Richard Lecounte and D'andre Swift

Cade Mays: Freshman 6'6" 320 pounds and a 5* OT who was ranked as the number 3 OT in his class and 22 ranked overall recruit in the country. We have all seen how physical this guy is and how quickly he has caught onto Sam Pittmans system

Andrew Thomas: Sophomore 6'5" 320 pounds and a 4* OT recruit who was ranked 9th in his position in his class

Trey Hill: Freshman 6'4" 330 pounds and a 4* OG who was ranked as the number 3 OG in his class. Trey Hill and Jake Fromm played on the same High School team

Ben Cleveland: RS Sophomore 6'6" 335 pounds and a 4* OT recruit who was ranked the number 10 OT in his class

Kendall Baker: RS Senior 6'6" 305 pounds and a 4* OT that was ranked number 21 in his position

Justin Shaffer: Sophomore 6'4" 345 pounds and a 3* OG who was ranked number 23 in his position

Solomon Kindley: RS Sophomore 6'4" 335 pounds and a 3* OT who was ranked number 89 in his position

the funnest part of this is that the above guys make up 3 freshman, 5 sophomores, no juniors and a 2 seniors

average height = 6'5"

Recruiting rankings mean nothing once a player gets in the program.

@WCDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

average height = 6'5"

Recruiting rankings mean nothing once a player gets in the program.

I just simply organized them in order of recruiting ranking

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 6

Thomas
    Gaillard
    Cleveland
    Wilson
    Kindley
    Mays
    Hill
    Baker
    Salyer
    Shaffer

Feel like Wilson and Kindley haven’t gotten the recognition that they deserve this year. There have been very few times I can remember this year where Wilson was beaten for a sack. Don’t think many people thought that Kindley would have been able to hold on to his guard spot this long.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 193 ✭✭✭ Junior

How do we feel about Wilson? Tbh he hasn't impressed me so much this season. I wonder if Mays could move over when cleveland comes back?
    Also here's a hot take:
    If Gaillard has to sit saturday, Hill will start at center for the rest of the season

@benjaminwgregg said:
    How do we feel about Wilson? Tbh he hasn't impressed me so much this season. I wonder if Mays could move over when cleveland comes back?
    Also here's a hot take:
    If Gaillard has to sit saturday, Hill will start at center for the rest of the season

I doubt it, but not because Hill isn't good enough. I think Gaillard is proven and is going to get paid after this season so benching him at this point would be a slap in the face. Hill's time is next year.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is up with Jamaree Salyer? Is he getting any significant playing time? I thought I saw him on the field against Kentucky for a few snaps but don't know if he played a lot of snaps earlier this year. Hill and Mays seem to be the first two in if somebody goes out with an injury. Was hoping Salyer would see more playing time.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭ Junior

How has Wilson graded out at RT this year? Has there been much, if any, drop off between Wilson this year and what Thomas gave us last year at RT?

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Imo if we're talking about the importance to the team and being a cohesive unit:
    Thomas
    Gaillard
    Cleveland
    Wilson
    Mays
    Kindley
    Hill
    Salyer
    Shaffer
    Baker

If Salyer would or could have enrolled early I think he'd be starting at left guard; so as far as ceiling he'd be up there somewhere between Thomas and Cleveland imo

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    What is up with Jamaree Salyer? Is he getting any significant playing time? I thought I saw him on the field against Kentucky for a few snaps but don't know if he played a lot of snaps earlier this year. Hill and Mays seem to be the first two in if somebody goes out with an injury. Was hoping Salyer would see more playing time.

Hill and Mays were early enrollees. Salyer was not. Makes a big difference.

Salyer is going to be just fine long term. A starter for sure, and likely a star.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I disagree with both points. Wilson has been very solid and Gilliard will be the first center taken in the draft.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoroDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I disagree with both points. Wilson has been very solid and Gilliard will be the first center taken in the draft.

I haven’t noticed Wilson but a few pressures/sacks earlier in the year. Usually a good thing if you’re not “noticing” your o-linemen. I think he’s done well, and his under appreciated quality is that he’s played all the snaps (outside mopup duty). No other linemen can say that.

Regarding Gaillard, I think he fits the old coaching staff’s mold of a linemen. He’d probably excel even more in the zone blocking scheme. He’s still really good, and I think will be like David Andrews in the NFL. Aka not the biggest guy, but knows his job and does it well. Haven’t looked at eligible centers, so not sure where Gaillard will go.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,373 admin
    edited November 6

I'll throw in here.

Plays at an ALL-SEC level
    * Lamont Gaillard (There is no upper-tier proven stopgap at this position. Not yet.)
    * Andrew Thomas

On the verge of ALL-SEC consideration
    * Ben Cleveland
    * Solomon Kindley (has made a lot of strides since last year)

Solid SEC starter
    * Kendall Baker
    * Cade Mays
    * Isaiah Wilson

Incomplete grades
    * Trey Hill (very close to the next tier)
    * Jamaree Salyer
    * Justin Shaffer

I think that the Bulldogs need 3-4 more guys in the first two groupings to be able to hang for four quarters with the elephant in the room.

@JeffSentell said:
    I'll throw in here.

* Lamont Gaillard (There is no upper-tier proven stopgap at this position. Not yet.)
    * Andrew Thomas

* Ben Cleveland

Solid SEC starter
    * Kendall Baker
    * Cade Mays
    * Isaiah Wilson

Incomplete grades
    * Jamaree Salyer
    * Justin Shaffer

I think that the Bulldogs need 3-4 more guys in the first two groupings to be able to hang for four quarters with the elephant in the room.

So next year, then? Assuming further progress from Wilson, Mays, Hill, and Salyer.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 6

One of the threads above which was really long mentioned Kendall Baker as a 4-Star OT.

247 Lists Kendall as a Guard. I think they revise those pages after they enroll and begin their career in college.

Rivals listed Kendall as a 4-Star DT in 2014 when he signed. I began following the team in 2015 during my daughters freshman year and am pretty sure he was at DL for one or two years before switching to OL.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/kendall-baker-28999

I would not argue that talent wise / ceiling wise, Kendall would be on the lower half of the rating chart for UGA. With that said, he has been of tremendous value the past two years. Most of us including me had probably dismissed him a couple of years ago and never thought he would be a starter. While he is not starting this year, I think he is just as valuable with the ability to play guard and tackle, in particular when you can only travel 70. D. Hayes was a chance worth taking, but he never developed into a someone to be counted on in the two deep at OT and Baker provides the depth that we need to at least get by at Tackle.

I remember walking to G-Day two years ago when I struck up a conversation with Lamont Gillard's family and they were so excited that I knew who he was and that he was making the switch to Center. While not the tandem of Chubb / Michel or Carter / Bellamy, the ability of Baker and Gillard to convert to OL and play so well the past two years was incredibly important. Despite not being a starter this year, I think that Baker is probably one of the leaders on the team that had to replace so many leaders that graduated this past year. If he has not been a Captain yet, he sure deserves to be named Captain for one game.

@JeffSentell said:
    I'll throw in here.

* Andrew Thomas

* Ben Cleveland

Solid SEC starter
    * Kendall Baker
    * Cade Mays
    * Isaiah Wilson

Incomplete grades
    * Jamaree Salyer
    * Justin Shaffer

Most of that will come with age, when we play them in 2020 these guys will be juniors and seniors

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

average height = 6'5"

SO AWESOME!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoroDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I agree 100% @BoroDawg . Gaillard will be a 1st rounder and imo is the best center in the country. If anyone watches the games over. He VERY rarely misses an assignment and just this year there have been SO many runs where he seals off his assignment and gets to the next level to also get a hat on the LB'er. This will make 2 seasons in a row we've had a lineman go in round 1. Wonder when the last time that happened.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

Size and depth is what makes this unit. The depth that this Oline has is insane. Don't know if any team has this depth. Young too! Maybe in years to come the skill will be the main thing, but for now depth is our best attribute.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@BoroDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I agree 100% @BoroDawg . Gaillard will be a 1st rounder and imo is the best center in the country. If anyone watches the games over. He VERY rarely misses an assignment and just this year there have been SO many runs where he seals off his assignment and gets to the next level to also get a hat on the LB'er. This will make 2 seasons in a row we've had a lineman go in round 1. Wonder when the last time that happened.

There’s been 3 centers taken in the first round in the past 5 years. So, even if he’s the best in college, he’ll still have to wow the scouts to get taken first round... I checked a few sources, who keep up with the position rankings week to week, and none of them have Gaillard in their top 10 of draft eligible centers.

@Teddy said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@BoroDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

There’s been 3 centers taken in the first round in the past 5 years. So, even if he’s the best in college, he’ll still have to wow the scouts to get taken first round... I checked a few sources, who keep up with the position rankings week to week, and none of them have Gaillard in their top 10 of draft eligible centers.

as stated above... it is just not popular for centers to be taken in the first round of the draft... their demand is just not as high. It is possible that he goes in the first round, but if he does not it is due to the position.... not his skill set

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I took the question differently. Rank the entire OL as a unit and give that unit a grade from 1-10. I would give our OL unit an 8, but expect that number to rise with experience.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:
    Size and depth is what makes this unit. The depth that this Oline has is insane. Don't know if any team has this depth. Young too! Maybe in years to come the skill will be the main thing, but for now depth is our best attribute.

Ed Orgeron called GIlliard the best center he's ever seen.

@BoroDawg said:

@ThisDawg said:

Ed Orgeron called GIlliard the best center he's ever seen.

Ed O is a notorious sunshine pumper.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 271 ✭✭✭ Junior

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I like Wilson's size, but I tend to agree with you. Mays has been a pleasant surprise this year and his upside is off the charts. He's so good Pittman wants him on the field regardless of the position. And to answer your direct question... yes with the return of Cleveland Mays could slide over to RT and be highly effective. Perhaps Wilson could move to LG giving us a lineup that looks like this:

Thomas - LT
    Wilson - LG
    Galliard/Hill - Center
    Cleveland - RG
    Mays - RT

That could be filthy good.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    I'll throw in here.

* Andrew Thomas

* Ben Cleveland

Solid SEC starter
    * Kendall Baker
    * Cade Mays
    * Isaiah Wilson

Incomplete grades
    * Jamaree Salyer
    * Justin Shaffer

Jeff I would move Isaiah Wilson's current play up to On the verge of ALL-SEC consideration. Early in the season you could beat him but the job he did against Florida and Kentucky was at an SEC level.

I also want to ask about Cade Mays what other freshman in the SEC could have filled in like he has?

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Also here's a hot take:

I like Wilson's size, but I tend to agree with you. Mays has been a pleasant surprise this year and his upside is off the charts. He's so good Pittman wants him on the field regardless of the position. And to answer your direct question... yes with the return of Cleveland Mays could slide over to RT and be highly effective. Perhaps Wilson could move to LG giving us a lineup that looks like this:

Thomas - LT
    Wilson - LG
    Galliard/Hill - Center
    Cleveland - RG
    Mays - RT

That could be filthy good.

I used to agree with you but the last several games Wilson has come on. You almost never hear his name and that is very good. What is amazing to me is how well Mays and Hill have played. Just think what the 2017 season would have been like with Justin Shaffer, Cade Mays and Trey Hill on the team as freshmen.