Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How About A Section For Politics, Social Issues, and Sports

kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a suggestion. That way, if someone doesn't wanna participate, they can move on to another topic entirely? They're important issues, just not always germane to UGA....but for those who want to engage in it, I don't see why we can't have a place for that. Just mark it so that people know: danger zone. But be civil. Try to anyway.

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can you change the subject to “I’ll say it” and move the subject to the first sentence? Then I’d support this idea.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

HA! lol - Actually, I thought they were pretty funny at first and a relief from a lot of the other stuff. This off-season is driving us all nuts (I'll say it: I'm repeating myself there) - it's like a form of cabin fever or something.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This off season seems far worse than last year, that’s for sure. Hopefully recruiting info picks up or they start spring workouts sooner than normal because I’m worried some around here are about to go off the deep end.

edited February 2019

Unfortunately, it's already here...just comes under different thread headings. So, all I'm proposing is a way to make everyone aware, stay away if you don't want to do it. I've been involved in one pol thread. But I always see people making jabs at conserv this, lib that. And it's written plainly "no political rants." Rants are different from civil exchanges. If it doesn't work out then we can end it. Gutters and strikes. Sometimes you eat the bar.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... there is an off topic subject to post in. Can't really get mad if people post things not about UGA as an off topic subject.

edited February 2019

@RxDawg - True, but I'd like more specificity. Too often a thread about a player ends up in an argument about someone kneeling.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the way I see it:

there is an off-topic section

you are not forced to click on or read any threads

you can view threads by category so that they do not even show up on your screen (https://forum.dawgnation.com/categories)

this is not directed at you, @kelly_b but more so those who are emotionally and/or intellectual incapable of understanding the above

edited February 2019

@tfk_fanboy - No worries. Not taken personally. I'm just seeing a lot of politics mixed in w/ our main subject here. The OT section is cool, but broad. Could be anything. If we cue people to know that, hey, stay away if you don't wanna part of that, then a separate heading could be useful. It's caused a lot of division.

In other words, it's a way to let people know who has another agenda here besides UGA sports.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

The people who need coddling over discussion topics being posted and who want to play “Hall Monitor” are the worst. Just dont click on the thread again. Take a xanax if you are really that bothered. Having the board’s primary village idiot tell a group of people they all look like idiots does not carry much weight and is more comical than insulting.

How about a ban against anything slightly negative about UGA? The bashing of our players bothers me more than political discussion could ever bother someone else.

Meh. You may be right. I'm beginning to regret the whole idea. It's s.tupid to think creating a category for politics in sports would change anything. Too many metaphors to worry about going through. Bad idea.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

you left out lies, but maybe thats inferred with the internet as a whole....but i thought that was already a thing called facebook....

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree--off topic should cover it. However, those political/social issues threads really get out of hand fast with people getting vicious. With mods to keep discussion on track, it might work out. Too many personal attacks and jibing. Just state your opinion and converse--not belittle or attack the opinion of another. I enjoy honest and respectful debate on any topic.

@JayDog - Yes, and as long as those discussions relate to sports...and don't trail off into irrelevant rants that are supposed to be a violation of board policy. But to be realistic, I just gave up the idea of this because, well, I've already said why.

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

LMMFAO 😂 😂 😂

U reckon? That one got me good @RoyGaff. I just couldn't stop laughing. Lol now I feel bad 😆

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a political junky and have participated in a private (pay site) political message board for years. I can still remember watching the Republican and Democrat National Conventions leading up to the '68 presidential election, when I was only 7 years old. I was riveted to the tube.

In my experience it doesn't matter how persuasive a political argument (including factual documented references) one brings to the table, people from the opposite end of the political spectrum will ignore it and counter with their own dogma. Changing people's political beliefs is like trying to convince someone their religion is false.

Off the top of my head I can think of two other moments in history where the country was as divided as it is today. The first being the Civil War. We're certainly not at that level today. The other is the Vietnam era of the 60's and 70's. I'd like to see this group of Bulldog fans come together as a community rather than open the floodgates of further division. Therefore, I would be against adding a Political section to this board.