Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brian Herrien explains why recruiting rankings aren't everything when it comes to college football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,704 admin
edited July 2019 in Article commenting

imageBrian Herrien explains why recruiting rankings aren't everything when it comes to college football

Part of the reason Georgia running back Zamir White has so much hype surrounding him has to do with his recruiting ranking. White was the No. 1 ranked running back in the 2017 class and a 5-star prospect. Because of this, he's got incredibly high expectations heading into 2019 for someone who has suffered two

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Along with Richard LeCounte, this is another guy I am pulling extremely hard for. Runs like a runaway freight train going downhill, never complains and is always ready when his number is called. He probably won’t get a 1000 yards in this offense if Zamir is healthy but would love to see him with at least 800 and a shot at the NFL. DGD! Go Dawgs!
  • Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This kid is going to play on Sundays and the fans will look back and wonder why we were so quick to cast him aside every chance we got.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

This kid is a hard worker and a team player. I'm excited to see him be a leader on this team and I wish him great success as a player this year.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herrien, with 15 or so carries a game this year, will be a huge surprise. The kid is a sleeper. runs tough

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Between Brian and Monty Rice, it's a toss-up as to which is my favorite current player..GoDAWGS!
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My prediction (might as well give it since every opinion seems to count) is that Herrien will play a lot only if Zamir White and Swift cannot. He runs hard and he has a big heart, but he's not as talented as any of the other running backs on the team. And l hope people remember (but they won't) that the star rating is not about college potential, but about NFL potential, with 5-stars meaning a kid is a lock to eventually play in the NFL and then going down from there. I agree that zero stars may have been too low for Herrien, but he certainly isn't in the category of Swift, or Cook or a healthy White. He just isn't. And you better believe stars and camps mean something cause I don't see Kirby Smart chasing down 2- and 3-star players. And I don't see many National Championships being won by teams loaded with 2- and 3-star players. either. So they must make some sort of difference. I like my prediction record, too: Two years ago I predicted Roquan Smith would be an All-American and a top draft pick (check). Last year, I predicted Elijah Holyfield would have a breakout season (check). This year, my prediction is that D'Andre Swift and Zamir White lead Dog's to spot in the playoffs with both finishing in SEC Top 10 rushers. (Herrien will be a decent, albeit occasional, change of pace). Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll take a team with exclusively 4 & 5 stars and I guarantee I will win more than the teams with lesser talent. Just as a 5 star may not live up to the hype, the same can be said for a 3 star not living up to his so-called limited potential. However, the more 5 stars, the better your chances of winning. It is Kirby Smart's blueprint and obvious as rain.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

I strongly agree about the number of 4 and 5 star rankings being relatively predictive of a team's success, but Mr. Herrian is the exception to the rule that exists for almost every rule. I am pulling for him to have a great year, and save wear and tear on ALL of the other backs, as well as staying fresh himself. He is a competitor. Sharing the backfield with all those other backs makes him better, and his drive and competitiveness will make all the other backs better, too.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know you gotta have serious confidence when you're a self described Zero Stars player on this Georgia team.

I'm going to hand it to young Mr. Herrien. I hope he has a great year. I've been impressed with him since he was working hard to achieve an academic qualification (which was in question). He has earned our respect and deserves more of it than some fans give him.

It can only help our team if he makes people eat their words.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

I've been a fan of him ever since he signed. The back story of just needing a little guidance on how to go about it in his later high school years and then putting that advice to work says a lot about him. His picture with his jersey in Kirby's office around the time he signed looked like a much younger kid's expression fulfilling a dream.