Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia report card: Bulldogs start slow in 63-17 win over Murray State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia report card: Bulldogs start slow in 63-17 win over Murray State

Grading Georgia football, Bulldogs overcome a slow start and race past Murray State, 63-17, in home-opening game at Sanford Stadium

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

A B- on 6.7 yards a carry, many of those carries from 5th string or lower backs behind 3rd and 4th string offensive line? Get a grip, Mike.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs could have rushed for 400 yds if coaches chose to. Not sure why you consider them yet to show a killer instinct. No point in kicking a dead horse.

• Options
    Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Griffith.the Dawgs have outscored their opponents 93 - 23 playing everyone on the bus and side line yet they have no “killer” instinct? How badly do you need to beat someone before you get an original thought rather than attempting to create some kind of phony story?

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought we abandoned the run game in order to facilitate pitch n catch practice. Which I loved!!

our defense was sloppy and unfocused but it’s harder to keep an edge with empty stands

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's worth pointing out that the rushers listed above averaged 8.8 ypc.

All in all, though, I think an overall B is fair, considering the opponent.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

I am a realist. So far I can't truly tell how good of a team we are this year, because of our cupcake early schedule. I hate these patsy games. The best way to improve and determine TRUE grade is to play to equal or better competition.

Giving the Dawgs a 'B' grade for this game is probably sufficient, but it doesn't reveal much. It's hard for players to get excited about Murray State or Arkansas State (or Vandy for that matter), and all it really does is give those teams a chance to POSSIBLY upset the big Dawg. It does nothing for our program other than create a 'scrimmage' practice that doesn't prove much nor does it even give our guys the ability to go up against quality opponents.

The proof in the pudding will come with Notre Dame and beyond. We won't know much about this team until the 2nd half of the schedule kicks in. I've seen what Oklahoma, LSU, and even Ohio State has done early this year, and I am not convinced we would beat any of these teams right now.

• Options
    dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

They just need to play cleaner 4 plays in Murray game are cleaned up its 63-3...a handful of plays and many many penalties in vandy game are cleaned up that game is easily 40/45-0 (all vandy points were given on drives kept alive by uga penalities) killer instinct is wrong description - clean and fatal error free game is more like it - I would rather not peak now an peak as the season goes on anyway - Clemson had similar issues early in year last year too

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,043 mod

Being a "realist" should you not note that the teams you've seen also played....

OU- Houston and South Dakota State

OSU- Florida Atlantic and Cincinnati

LSU- GA Southern and Texas

Albeit I'll give you the great win by LSU over Texas, but comparing what you've seen from these teams and ours, and making that judgement, I'll give you a D- just for typing it.......

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

ghostofuga1 said...

" Albeit I'll give you the great win by LSU over Texas, but comparing what you've seen from these teams and ours, and making that judgement, I'll give you a D- just for typing it......."

Texas whipped us in the Sugar Bowl, and we lost to LSU last year. I'd say we have no room to talk right now comparing us as better than either of those teams. With what I've seen from our defensive secondary this year, I'd bet Joe Burrow would pick us apart just like he did Texas.

LSU won against TX with a brand NEW offense, on the road early in the season against a hostile crowd, with a banged-up defense that made several goal line stands. I'd say LSU makes a lot more sense at #3 than we do right now. And Oklahoma and OSU have impressed me more against their level of competition than our patsy games. I'm just saying there is nothing in our resume currently that makes me think we can beat any of these teams right now. That's what I am saying. The Dawgs have disappointed me many times before.