Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Cover 4 on Georgia football: Which SEC East team is the biggest threat?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,701 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageCover 4 on Georgia football: Which SEC East team is the biggest threat?

The SEC East schedule continues in Knoxville on Saturday. Which division rival poses the biggest threat to the Bulldogs this year? The DawgNation Cover 4 guys tee that one up today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff is right on about Florida.

We ignore them at our own peril.

The team with Trask as QB is not the same team that struggled against Miami, or the 1st half against Kentucky before Franks was injured.

I watched that game, and the team instantly responded to Trask in a way not disimilar to how UGA responded when Fromm came in against App State.

They probably don't have the depth or the coaching that we have, but anything is possible down in Jacksonville.

Auburn is the one that is getting me concerned, but that's after Florida. Speaking of those teams, we'll see how they play each other this weekend, and then Florida gets the other Tigers (LSU) the following weekend.

Florida may be beat up by the time we play them, which may make them even more of a challenge.

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I Agree with Jeff. Florida is a better team than all the other East team pretenders. Underestimate them at your own risk.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are capable of beating Tennessee by at least 35 points which I hope we do. South Carolina by at least 21-28 points which I also hope for. I myself have seen Missouri as a trap game during the off season like I felt LSU would be last season, regardless of their inexplicable loss to Wyoming. I’m not trying to underestimate the Gators, I just believe our guys will be more motivated to beat them because well, they’re Florida, as well as it being a bye week before we play them. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

Florida is clearly the strongest challenger in the East, no question. Mullen has not competed on the level of Georgia in recruiting, but as an X's and O's coach has proven he can get the best out of their players on gameday. It will be a fight down in Jacksonville this season for sure. My hope is that Auburn takes Florida down this week, as I don't think they can handle LSU in Baton Rouge. Of course Georgia just needs to take care of business, but a two loss Florida team should make for an easier path to domination in the East.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't ignore Missouri. They may not be the strongest East team, but their SEC schedule is the easiest. Just look at FPI. Missouri is expected to lose 2 SEC games (Florida + Georgia) while Florida has 3 tough SEC games (Georgia + LSU + Auburn). If Missouri takes care of these easy SEC teams (Ole Miss + Arkansas) which they should since they beat Carolina by 20 points then all they have to do is Beat us.

If they win against us and even with a loss to Florida, they'll be at 1 SEC loss with a tie breaker against us which means they WIN THE EAST even if we beat Auburn!

Mark that game on your calendar. They will be coming in with a bye week to prepare to give it everything they've got while we'll have just come off a physical game with Florida. If we aren't prepared and ready, our season ends right there.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In 2014, #9 UGA had one of the most embarrassing losses in team history to UF in Muschamp's last year as a Gator. After the game, a UGA player said, "We took the Gators for granted." I don't see that happening under Smart, but that will be the only reason we lose to any team in the east this year.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Inside the division, Florida gives me the most concern. As many have said, Mizzou is a trap game but we just have enough athletes, to beat them at the end, if it comes to that. Plus, they only "hope" they can win, they don't believe they can. Florida, on the other hand, not only "believes" that it can and will beat UGA, they also have enough first-team athletes to play us evenly, especially if some of their injured players return. We cannot start slowly against them. They'll stack the box because they STILL don't believe Jake Fromm can beat them with his arm, especially with the secondary they have. And truth be told, if we aren't successful in the run game, I'm not sure we can beat them through the air, either. Plus, their offense is much better with Trask at QB. He may have not started since junior high, but unlike Franks, he's not a head case and his teammates play hard for him. The key to beating Florida, in my opinion, is get out to an early lead and take away their belief that we can be beaten. But first, let's take care of UT, SC and KY

• Options
    Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Florida is the only threat.....there is no “trap” game with the superior talent Georgia has at every position against Missouri....good grief MG.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as Mizzou being a trap game, lest we forget, the Dawgs play with a 12th man (person) at Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium! There's a good chance the game will be at 7 on ESPN. When the fourth quarter is ready to begin and the stadium goes dark, the lights of hell will illuminate 93,000 red and black screaming demented Dawg demons and the Tigers will be ready to get on their bus and head back to purgatory!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

90% of the time-The answer to this question has been and will continue to be... The Florida Gators. Until we have -at minimum- a decade of dominance against FLA, they will continue ot go into these match ups believing in their core that they can beat UGA. There are two reasons for this 1. We play every year IN FLORIDA. This is ridiculous in my opinion. I believe CKS and half of the UGA faithful agree with me. 2. They have beaten us far too many times when were favored to win and they rarely lose to UGA when they are favored. Look at the stats!

You know I speak the truth on this board.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll offer a pithy answer - none!