Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Cover 4 on Georgia football: The nation's top 4 teams. .. right now and later

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageCover 4 on Georgia football: The nation's top 4 teams. .. right now and later

Which four teams deserve to be in the playoffs right now? Which ones will be there at the end? The latest DawgNation Cover 4 on Georgia football plugs away at those questions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

A playoff including SEC champ (hopefully the Dawgs), Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State would draw the most national interest, but can it happen? The Big 12, Big 10, and ACC champs are going to all have to go undefeated if they hope to keep a second SEC team out of the playoff this year. Clemson has the easiest path, but Ohio State or more likely Oklahoma have a good chance of stumbling at some point.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

FWIW, the four best "looking" teams right now: Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma. That's based on both offensive and defensive performance, and regardless of opponent. My picks to make the CFP: LSU, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma/Georgia/Alabama. Alabama's defense has been sub-par, especially by their standards, and I think LSU beats them because they can score with them, and if LSU is unbeaten into the SEC Championship game, I think they get in win or lose. Clemson and OSU both skip to conference championships and are likely unbeaten and unavoidable entrants. (Although Wisconsin is a dark horse in the B1G.) Oklahoma gets in only if they are unbeaten AND the SECC loser gets their second loss there. If both SECC entrants are unbeaten, chances are good both get in, unless Clemson, OSU and OU are all unbeaten. History says they won't be. Of course, history says both the SECC participants won't be either. Auburn could get in, but with yet to play LSU, UGA and UA, I think they'd have to win the SECC with less than two losses. Oregon isn't dead yet, nor Washington, and neither are Penn State or Wisconsin, but I expect their remaining schedules to take a toll. I love the Dawgs and like their chances, and have believed for two years that 2019 would be the year. However, as strange as it may seem, the questions I have are about the offense, not the defense, which has been extremely good. The OL has underperformed slightly, and the play-calling has been too predictable and cautious. To beat any of the contenders, we'll need to score a lot of points. Most of those teams have been a lot more creative than we've seen from Coley so far. I KNOW our playmakers match up with anybody else's, but we sure haven't let them loose. I hope that changes this week. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's not forget that everyone was saying the same thing about OSU at this point the last few years and then they find a way to lose to an Iowa State. Auburn gets everybody excited then winds up with four losses. That's just who those teams are just like Richt's team that had superior talent, start in the top ten and finish with three or more losses. Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Bama. Seeding to keep Bama and Clemson from playing for the NC again and to avoid UGA and Bama from playing two straight games against one another.

• Options
    BiggDawgBiggDawg Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

As good as LSU looks, they just can't ever get past Bama. They haven't beat Bama since Saban took over in Tuscaloosa. Heck, last year LSU was pretty darn good and got walluped by Bama 29-0 in Baton Rouge. They play in Tuscaloosa this year, so I see very little chance of LSU winning that game.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

I'm shocked no one picked Oklahoma. Jalen Hurts might be unstoppable with this offense. Oklahoma's defense is their weakest link, but their defense is definitely better than previous seasons. There is nothing much other than Texas in their way of running the table. That might be a close game initially, but Oklahoma should win.

IMHO, the Best teams right now are LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. UGA won't make the playoffs with a continued conservative style offense. We almost blew the game against ND.

It's WAY too early to predict who will be in the CFP. The Dawgs have a very tough end of season schedule, and if they don't pretty easily take care of business against Tennessee, South Carolina, and KY then there is no way this UGA team makes the playoffs. We should not struggle to beat these 3 teams. There is no excuse if we are, in fact, playoff material.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Ohio State have pretty much shown all they've got on offense with OU and OSU playing against air. The Dawgs with their young receivers coming of age still have a lot in the playbook to draw upon. I agree that with eight or nine in the box we've got to burn some defenses over the top, but all things being equal, a 20 yard run is just as good if not better than a 20 yard pass.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone is sold on Auburn. No me. If the freshman Nix who hasn’t looked good at all passing over 10 yards is going to go into the swamp and come out with a win, idk. After this week we’ll see but I wouldn’t be surprised if Auburn’s 8-4 or 7-5 by the end

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

I believe I said this earlier in the week, but I cannot believe I'm about to say this again...I'm pulling for Florida (man, that hurt to type).

I can't stand either team (at this point I think I like Auburn less because Florida isn't our recruiting competition) , but I think it helps us for Auburn to lose. Right now, Auburn is a 2.5 favorite.

Plus, Florida plays LSU the next week at LSU and I think LSU will take care of them.

LSU plays Auburn and Alabama, so I think they stand a good chance at losing at least one of those games.

So the enemy of my enemy is my friend...and, no, I'm not about to do that **** gator chomp.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone saying OSU and Fields playing against "air" but didn't each team have cupcakes, Murray St?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like all your picks because we are in all of them. However, at least two of the teams are "pie in the sky" because of the "criteria?" the "selection committee" uses. One year it's the "best 4 at the time of selection", another year it's the "overall resume", another year it's ouija board, tea leaves, star alignment, who knows what? If ohio state finishes unbeaten and alabama finishes with no more than 1 loss (possibly 2), those two are in.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Alabama fails to make the SEC Championship game, with one loss. Say they lose to a one loss LSU, or even a one loss Auburn, I don't think Bama should be an automatic lock for the play-offs.

If they do that again, it's essentially rewarding Bama for failing to even win the West. Even worse, giving any team a by into the play-offs is also giving them a huge advantage of being able to rest up, and game-plan, while the other teams are getting beat up in their conference championship games.

Hell, many Bama fans are likely hoping for that very result. They actually think they deserve it. Not this year. Not after what Clemson did...