Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to measure up to South Carolina

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to measure up to South Carolina

ATHENS — Georgia football doesn’t need many more reminders of its massive failure on Saturday against unranked South Carolina. Coach Kirby Smart is more about encouragement than tough love after losses, even the 20-17 double-overtime defeat to the Gamecocks. COLUMN: Georgia football changes needed after shocking

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

F

failed to show up, coach, or compete.

as fans we have either been lied to or deserve refunds

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, I give coaching an F. A Shockingly poor performance In every phase of the game, top to bottom.

• Options
    DaReal_KenDaReal_Ken Posts: 7 ✭✭ Sophomore

You’re being generous with Fromm’s grade. He also had the fumbled snap. And we should only go to under center when ahead later in the game. Not much YAC which is on play calling and design, as well as execution. But you want to really know what Georgia fans are thinking about: Justin Fields making defenses look ****. Watching LSU beat Florida I couldn’t help but see an offense who never took the foot off the gas pedal. Making great throws downfield late in the game. There was nothing conservative about that game. Just saying! Multiple backup quarterbacks in the SEC played better than Fromm today.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was a Gator fan early on growing up in SW Florida & a FL alum Dad but he moved us to the Atl and at 10 years old I became a Dawgs for life. With the exception of the 1980 miracle season, what happened Sat in Athens is par for the course. The Dawgs often play uninspired football, lose one or two games they shouldn't every year, make easy games difficult and often fail to finish. So far during the Smart tenure nothing appears to have changed.

All I can do is keep telling myself that Saban was a very average coach, Dano Swinney was nearly fired after 6-7 season in his third year at Clemson and both coaches struggled over eight years at major programs before winning national titles in their 9th year. Today Saban & Swinney are the two best coaches in college football. Maybe the best coaches have last names starting with S and if the timing is correct 2024 should be a helluva year for Dawg fans and the beginning of the glory years in Athens. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good assessment of the entire team and coaching staff....clearly not ready to play yesterday w their lackadaisical approach to the game.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Never in my lifetime as a UGA alum (class of 84) does UGA have a roster that is as talented and as stacked as we have now. No one can remotely argue that we do not have the players (probably a top 4 roster in all of college football). After this loss and other meltdowns in championship games, the question that becomes evident is whether UGA has the coaches. The art of game planning and making in-game adjustments cannot be understated. I will continue to support Kirby & staff but the loss yesterday will go down as one of the worst in my lifetime given what UGA has & what USC has. Had we lost to Nichols State a few years ago - that would have eclipsed yesterday's performance, but not by much.

Lastly, in my rants over the past 18 hours, I never gave credit to Muschamp and USC. Congratulations!!!! As a fan in general, I would have hated to see USC lose that game given how valiantly they played with everything stacked against them.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake Fromm is a limited QB, I have been saying Aaron Murray 2.0 for the longest. All circumstances must be near perfect for him to excel and you need to your QB to pull off some magic with his legs at least 2-3 times a game. SC backup QB did a better job threatening the defense.

The problem at UGA is culture. Until they get a true dual threat QB, this will continue to be the case. Sad thing is, they had one and could not adqeuately develop him for fear of replacing the status quo. Kinda reminds me of America.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Coaching: F

What's amazing to me and truly shows how good Nick Saban REALLY is...his coaching staff turns over and is replaced with new coaches almost every year. Yet, the team keeps winning. And Saban is like 17-0 against former coaches.

Maybe we need to do the same, eh?

• Options
    FrankDGFrankDG Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

The offensive playcalling was just bad. This team has way too many weapons for this kind of egg laying. The O line didn't block well and the receivers couldn't get off anyone. Fromm was having to throw under heat and into tight windows just about the whole game. He rarely gets to throw to a receiver running open in space. That's a problem. I don't care who you have playing QB, anybody would have struggled with that playcalling, the bad protection and bad receiver play. If we don't figure out a way to get separation it's going to be a long day against Florida. Defense looked flat in the first half but played pretty well overall. Overall looked like a team not ready to play that thought they could show up and win the game. SC punched them in the mouth and they didn't handle it. Hopefully this is a badly needed wakeup call for everyone --including coaches.

• Options
    GODAWGS70GODAWGS70 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

COACHNG F-.inept, lack of creativity on play calling , and unable to motivate the team.....Smart is a great recruiter but not a great game manager

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

C’s and D’s? Yeah, no! As Mr Hand would say in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” coaching: F! Offense: F! Overall: F! What are you people? On dope?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These grades are way too generous. In fact, for a performance like this I would suggest we dispense with the letter grades in favor of a 0-100 scale to show how deep into F territory most of these grades should go. I won't get so granular as to break it down by position, but...

Offense: 20 (the long touchdown drive when they needed it keeps this from being a 0)

Defense: 70

Special Teams: 40

Coaching: 0

This was an unmitigated failure. I've been an eager defender of Smart in the face of what I have seen as surprisingly consistent criticism. And to be honest, I still don't agree with a lot of it (the backlash to his opting for the field goal against ND most readily comes to mind). But man, I'd be lying if I said my confidence in him didn't take a hit on Saturday. I can only hope this display of ineptitude was as much an eye-opener for him as it was for me. I guess only time will tell.

• Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

S C took the measuring stick and beat the dawgs with it!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you say so, although I would argue that when you lose to a 20-point underdog at home and you're ranked #3 in the nation, it should just be an F overall. But I want to dispel one narrative that keeps coming up and it applies to Tyler Simmons. His shoulder brace did NOT prevent him from catching that pass in OT. He got BOTH hands on it. He dropped it because he turned his head as the ball arrived, apparently looking to run after catch. I'm sure the brace doesn't help things, but that brace shouldn't be an excuse. If he can't make normal football plays out there (and that was certainly one) he shouldn't be on the field. Also, why don't you grade coaching?