Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closer look: Georgia football offensive identity by the numbers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageCloser look: Georgia football offensive identity by the numbers

Georgia football had a tough outing against South Carolina, but the game appears to be an outlier, and Kirby Smart isn't panicking

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, please help me understand why we're considered pro style when over the last 3 1/2 years our QB, takes the snap in the shot gun 90% of the time with 3 to 5 wides and our run game is primarily between the tackles. All of this are staples of a spread offense. The Falcons, Patriots, Cowboys, among others are pro style. The Chiefs are spread. Bama,Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, and Auburn among others are spread teams and our base offensive sets looks exactly like theirs: Shot gun, 3 to 5 wides, incessant runs between the tackles. Please enlighten me.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe the spread offense is more about offensive philosophy than about where you take to snap. Spread offenses typically feature a highly mobile QB who is a threat to run on every play. It features the zone read in the running game, where the QB reads the DE or OLB and decides to either hand off or keep it himself. It also features lots of RPOs with quick throws outside to WRs or RBs one on one in space, where one missed tackle can go the distance. It's all about space and matchups. Building a roster for the spread usually requires "scatback" type WRs and RBs, as opposed to long and physical playmakers. OLs are usually (but not always) smaller, but quicker and highly mobile. Because of the ball leaving the pocket quickly, they don't have to pass block for long or power-run block often, usually only chipping the DL and looking for LBs and DBs to create cutback lanes for the RBs and WRs. TEs are usually featured on either crossing routes (remember the ND game?) or seam routes down the hashes, and set lots of picks. Both spread and pro-style can be effective, particularly at the high school and college levels, but the spread generally only works in occasional use in the NFL because the defensive athletes are universally elite. Spread teams frequently have strong offenses and meh defenses, though this appears to finally be changing at the upper college levels. In brief, the personnel requirements are very different for these offenses, and you don't switch from one to the other overnight. It takes intention and several recruiting classes. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, since you included UK in future opponents, is there a reason you didn't include Mizzou and TAMU? I understand leaving out the bee team, which is a perfect example of how difficult it is to change offensive philosophies (see below) using athletes recruited for one system to try and run another. A decade of triple option athletes are not equipped to become a pro-style or spread offense without changing the attributes of almost all offensive personnel. It also leaves you with QBs that can't throw and OLs that can't do more than cut-block effectively. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am grateful that our offense is predicated on the run.

I just wish the running plays would be more creative. Why do the majority of our running plays include an "option read" from Fromm? Is it just a timing mechanism, or does Coley think this "freezes" the linebackers?

If he thinks this it affects the linebackers, we need a new OC immediately because opposing defenses have zero respect for Fromm running the ball, and Fromm never keeps it anyway.

If we were so bound and determined to run an option-read offense, we should have let Justin Fields do more than run fake punts.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JoeFann

Very good points on spread offenses. Thank you.

• Options
    tvradioguytvradioguy Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I guess a positive that comes out of these rankings is that even though we are not lighting up the world right now on the field, our stats are better than Auburn or Florida's in most categories. Two teams that pose the biggest threat down the road...There is that.

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

A closer look at the #s

Mark Richt

1999                                                                         Recruiting rank (national): 1st

2000                                                                         Recruiting rank (national): 23rd

2001 1st 8-4                                                          Recruiting rank (national): 10th

2002 2nd 13-1                                                      Recruiting rank (national): 9th

2003 3rd 11-3                                                       Recruiting rank (national): 9th

2004 4th 10-2 (5-1 through game #6)             Recruiting rank (national): 7th

3-1 bowl record

1 - SEC title

Kirby Smart

2014                                                                   Recruiting rank (national): 8th

2015                                                                   Recruiting rank (national): 6th

2016 1st 8-5                                                    Recruiting rank (national): 6th

2017 2nd 13-2                                                Recruiting rank (national): 3rd

2018 3rd 11-3                                                 Recruiting rank (national): 1st

2019 4th 5-1 (5-1 through game #6)

2-1 bowl record (2019 season incomplete)

1 - SEC title

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

diesel_7, those stats are deceiving.

The records are similar, but Richt won mostly by the skin of his teeth. In 2002 alone, the Clemson, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee games all came down to the last minute. Yes, UGA went 13-1, but very, very easily could have gone 7-5 in the regular season.

Kirby, by contrast, blows everyone out, Saturday's game notwithstanding.

I'm just going to have to believe my lying eyes on this one, buddy.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just curious, but why is Ohio State above UGA in every offensive category? Wish I could my finger on the reason. (Sarcasm intended).

• Options
    KennesawJayKennesawJay Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

The stats are a little deceiving when a lot of that came against poor teams like Vandy, Murray State, Arkansas State and Tenn. LSU, Auburn, Mizz and Fla are not in the same category as our early competition.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Considering both GA and Ohio State played similarly bad teams, they are ranked better in most of the defensive categories also.

I would be OK with only scoring 35 points a game. BUT, they have to hold the ball for at least 38 minutes a game, and only give the other team 5 possessions a game. Since that won't happen, they need to score over 42 each game. I am fine with ball control. 8-9 minute drives, 10-15 plays each. That is imposing their will. But when you run the same plays on 1st and 2nd and 3rd down in the same order, it's hard to hold the ball that long.

14 or so drives, only produced 17 points. Think about that. SAD. With an offense like that ,losing the 4 SEC games in Nov is a real possibility.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

KennesawJay, the stats are framed as rankings, which are, of course, comparative. Georgia's played mostly easy opponents with one game against a legit contender. There aren't many teams anywhere near the top who can say much, if any, more than that at this point in the season.