Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN has one big question for Georgia football as Bulldogs enter tough November stretch

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageESPN has one big question for Georgia football as Bulldogs enter tough November stretch

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. ESPN has one big question for Georgia football While Georgia hasn't been perfect to this point in the season,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Connor, or for that matter any Dawgnation reporter, I would be intrigued to get Kirby’s feedback on not only the tough November schedule, but also his thoughts on having to play 3 SEC teams in a row in November that are all coming off of bye weeks (aka UF, AU and MO have two weeks to prepare and scheme for UGA, not to mention the 2 extra days of prep GT will get by playing the preceding Thursday). UF is the only team on that list where we also get two weeks to counter-prepare. Seems the disparity is much more prevalent this year. Is it the SEC that handles this scheduling or did someone at Georgia drop the research ball? It sure puts Kirby at a huge disadvantage in my opinion.

On that note UGA will have had to face 5 SEC teams after their bye weeks this season whereas of the other Top 5 SEC teams Alabama and LSU are only in this unfair advantage for 3 SEC games each but actually 2 or less because they also have a bye, and Florida and Auburn only have 1. Florida is the ONLY team that has to face 1 SEC team coming out of a bye that also has a bye (you guessed it, UGA). How does the SEC justify such a skewed schedule? Eventually (as evident by Muschamp’s great defensive schemes against our Dawgs) such a disadvantage is going catch up with you. Kudos to Florida for figuring out how NOT to be at a competitive disadvantage by the way!

I would love to see an article on the bye process. From what I understand I believe only Notre Dame faces more teams coming off bye weeks than Georgia does. Would make for an I terrible article. Can’t figure out why the sports talk talking heads and experts continue to fail to discuss this. Thanks Connor.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would make for an *interesting article, not *terrible...dang spellcheck autocorrect!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article.

not really sure how we get our offensive swag back. I believe it starts with leadership on the offensive side of the ball. Love that swift stepped up, but I think it’s going to take more than just him.

Yall remeber after the 1st auburn game in 17, how our leaders stepped up and approached Chaney about changing the offense? Wonder what would happen if we could have some dawgs step up and have a chit chat with Coley?

l do love the Dawgs, but if our offense don’t get squared up we are going to be in for in next Saturday.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" Something’s wrong with Georgia’s offense. The line isn’t playing up to par, the running game has been inconsistent and wide receivers haven’t been doing a great job getting open,” Scarborough wrote. “Jake Fromm, who has been as steady as any quarterback in the country the past three seasons, isn’t himself.  "

Bingo. Add a porous defensive secondary to the list of problems, and you have the makings of another disappointing season. But first and foremost, coaching and play calling have got to improve. If Kirby's strategy is to wear down opposing defenses and run the clock to keep opponent's offenses off the field, it won't work when we can't make a high % of 3rd and 4th down conversions. Besides, that strategy is playing not to lose instead of playing aggressively to win.

The #1 goal is a National Championship. Period. We've won several SEC Championships and that was great, but it's only the means to an end.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

That is the million dollar question, now isn’t it?

If you haven’t done so, I highly recommend watching Mike Griffith’s “on the beat” on dawgnation’s YouTube page. He best describes the reasons why you are seeing the current product on the field. The guy is spot on! People hate on Mike, but he is an amazing analyst and reporter.

I, for one, am ready to put my trust in coach Smart (again) and quit complaining about the offense. I’m ready to get behind the team again and just enjoy the football season. I’m ready to let the coach do what he’s paid to do. There will be no booing from me.

That, of course, is as long as they don’t lose to FL. Haha!

* I am not an employee of Dawgnation and my comments are my own. I have not been paid for any of the above references.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Take the calls out of Fromm and Kirby's hands and let Coley live or die running this offense. Heard some chatter on the message boards that Fromm Checks out of plays way to often to his liking, and yes, it works sometimes. He has a comfort level also, but the joke on the Gator message board is " we are preparing for all 6 of Georgia's plays they run"

• Options
    NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reality for UGA is that the game in JAX will determine our path for the rest of the year. Win, and confidence in the team, coach, and the overall program from its fan base, media, and nationally will gain significant tread again on the road to the playoff.

lose, and the current tension and questions about where we are as a program and where Kirby is as a coach will only grow and will not stop during this season and upcoming off season

coach smart, who I fully believe is the right man for the job, set the bar for this program as SEC championship and CFP or bust. Anything less is a failure. He’s recruited all the players he needs, has all the facilities and resources from the AD and UGA and he has his a fan base who overall believes he is the one to get us the holy grail of college football

i think he knows this, and will do everything in his power to win this upcoming game. I am sure he knows the conservative approach of 3 yards and a cloud of dust won’t be enough to beat Florida. I just hope his counter punch will be enough to have Grantham with his pants around his ankles once again.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bye weeks are good and bad. They allow for needed healing of injured players but throw off the week to week rhythm teams need to maintain forward momentum. The SEC is all over the board with bye weeks this season. Facing its toughest part of the schedule, UGA may need to heal following these on-field battles. Well, UGA has been disadvantaged again. Hey, it is what it is...UGA has played through before and won out.....let's see them do it again....they have the talent...do they have the team?

• Options
    CTBigDawgCTBigDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

What is wrong with the Dawgs? Seems the answer to this question is on a lot of people's mind. Inconsistency due to several things- (1) injuries to key personnel (2) blown assignments both offensively and defensively (3) poor decision making by coaches and playmakers at crucial times and (4) poor play calling. To me it seems this team has an identity crisis- are we a running team who throws the football to keep the opponent off balance or are we a passing team? I think some of that was corrected this past Saturday in the rain when in the second half of the game the leaders on this team decided to bow up and just play hard nose football. Hopefully we will see this team playing hard nose football for the rest of the season. Go Dawgs