Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football offense: 'There's no reason to worry'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football offense: 'There's no reason to worry'

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart plans to keep “chopping wood” on offense, and his players seem fine with the notion even if some fans aren’t. The No. 10-ranked Bulldogs (6-1, 3-1 SEC) play against No. 7 Florida (7-1, 4-1) at 3:30 p.m. next Saturday in Jacksonville. RELATED: Greg McGarity details new 2-year

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There you have it....Kirby sticking with his "vaunted" ground game. Not to worry, he says. Florida said they are hoping he stays on the ground.....? Hope Kirby is miss-steering Florida.....you suppose?

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby and Coley have game-planned to emphasize the team’s perceived strengths and protect their perceived weaknesses. Just past half way those perceptions have been proven only partially correct. The OL hasn’t been as dominant as expected, and the D has been much better, minimizing the need for a dominant ball-control, time of possession-focused team. The concerns about WRs have been on target. They’re talented, but the lack of SEC experience is showing in the inability to separate and get YAC. The disappointment fans have registered is due to lack of originality in play/formation designs and predictable play-calling, particularly in the run game. Today’s athletes are big and fast. The best offenses utilize space, getting playmakers in one on one matchups where their skills shine. The comparison is not Smart vs. Richt as a head coach or program builder, which I think almost no one questions. The comparison IS Richt/Bobo vs. Smart/Chaney/Coley as offensive designers, and fans want more creativity and excitement. Ground and pound still works when you have superior athletes, but without chunk runs, it’s boring, even when you win 21-0 in a monsoon. I understand that Kirby doesn’t care what fans think. He’s paid to win and he’s doing so at a high rate. We just think he’s wasting some outstanding talent, though maybe he’s just trying to protect them. I’m thrilled with the trajectory of the program and think the team IS getting better. I’m hoping the head coach is, too. Go Dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem with offensive geniuses is their blatant disregard for defense. Calm and cool Lincoln Riley and his genius gave up 48 freakin' points to K State. Every game our receivers gain experience. Our offense is going to get better. Oklahoma's defense is hopeless!

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Markdawg Richter was calm and people hated it. Kirby is fiery and people hate it. OU lost today to KState btw, so calm didn't do much today. Also, do you really want a coach that calmly watches his team get 50 points hung on them every week?

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2019

"Don't worry about the offense?"

This offense that scored 17 points (with a game tying drive, due to a penalty) against a SC team, that a TN team just scored 41 on. I know 14 were on special teams, but still 27!!! With a lousy qb.

Just watched Lynn Bowden complete a 43 yard pass, IN THE RAIN. A WR!!!

So we are supposed to believe Fromm can get it done this year? Is there an injury isn't being talked about?

I hope the offense has been hiding things, if so, that is another problem that needs to be discussed. But the way the season is playing out, the offense just doesn't look like they are very good. Do the have the players, yes. Just not using them. And definitely not playing to their full potential.

I just think that recruiting is going to start taking a hit. This rate, Fla may be just about to catch Ga in talent (at least to play like 5*). And TN may not be far behind. Pruitt is getting a lot out of his players (even though he grabs a players facemask). People can believeit or not, but the gap is closing a lot faster than it was expected to happen.

Don't know how the game will end, but ND " so-called great defense", has already given up 17 points to a Michigan offense. In the 2nd qtr. And fans shouldn't worry. Lol.

Go Dawgs.

• OzoradawgOzoradawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

We all saw the South Carolina game. Even without the turnovers the offense was not good. The OC couldn’t get the plays in on time in the Notre Dame game which save Fromm to Cager we might have lost. It is getting far enough along in the season to see better than what these last two weeks have brought. James Cook has been wasted this year. We all know Jake Fromm is a great QB. All signs point to a poor job from the offensive coordinator. You can’t blame all this on the receivers. I have seen some Georgia teams that were short on talent. This isn’t one of them.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is plenty of reason for concern. But there is also reason for excitement. Kirby needs one of those “I told you so” moments to (re)prove his concept. Oh please, let it be this game.

Fact is, Ga just doesn’t have the offensive playmakers. We are kidding ourselves if we think they do. And the best players are injured. Cager, D-Rob, Jackson, all dealing with issues. Kirby isn’t ****, he’s making the best (sort of) of what he has. I agree with most that Coley could do a lot better. But it is not as easy as some have suggested.

• FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anyone who watched how easily Michigan shredded Notre Dame should be very worried about Georgia offensively and defensively. Michigan looked much more physical and speedy against the Irish than Georgia did and they aren't even a top tier team. Face it guys, it's regrettable but UGA simply is not a very good team this year and they are going to finish with at least 3 losses.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If and when Smart is let go, UGA can find a great HC on Dawg Nation.