Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As Georgia defensive line shines, Kirby Smart still looking 'to find ways to use Travon Walker's tal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageAs Georgia defensive line shines, Kirby Smart still looking 'to find ways to use Travon Walker's talents more'

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. As Georgia defensive line shines, Kirby Smart wants to see more from Travon Walker Georgia's defensive line

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CEPHCEPH Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Travon might as well find himself a nice soft cushion on the bench. Once Kirby starts saying he needs to play you more you are done (i.e. James cook) In this case why does he have to say he needs to play more, JUST PLAY HIM!!!!!!!! Why do you have to make an issue out of it to the press. Again how many times has he brought up Cook's name in the same scenario?

• Options
    FlallnaturalFlallnatural Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Our defense has been quite the surprise this year. I love watching the defense go to work whether they have sacks or not, we can rely on them to get it done.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CEPH I have noticed that James Cook and Zamir White have experienced a decrease in playing time. But you gotta think about the two guys in front of them.... Swift and Herrien have been absolute savages out there on the field and this is their last year (Swift/Draft and Herrienn/Senior). So Cook and Zamir are going to get their fair share of snaps next year if healthy. I can see the argument of having Cook out there as the slot. it's crazy how explosive and elusive that kid is...

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CEPH I think there is something to this, and it may help explain why we don't get very many highly rated DL recruits.

I think some of it is that we are so dependent on the LBs for havoc, and the DL is perceived as just kind of being there.

I've said this multiple times, but if I had a son and he wanted to play DL, I'd encourage him to go where he will be used to shine.

To me, that explains why Clemson has gotten so many over the years. IIRC, Clemson has gone to a 3 man front because they lost several last year to the NFL.

Travon would be an awesome recruiting tool for potential DLinemen if we could showcase him and say "If you come to UGA, your boy will stand out!"

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Again,

Kirby don't know how to utilize his players talents. That's a HUGE problem

• Options

I agree to these replies. The case I am trying to make is if you aren't going to play them quit bringing it up. The fans start questioning, WHY does Kirby keep saying they need to play but, then they don't. Cook is absolutely a mystery to me. He has proven he is threat every time he touches the ball. I would have him in the slot every play, no linebacker in the world can cover him. Clemson gets the best D lineman in America or either they have the best D lineman coach. Those guys are outstanding, period!!!!!

• Options

Incidentally all the players agree that Cook is the toughest guy in the open field to either cover or tackle.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have to disagree a little with the "right now it doesn't matter" mantra. It seems to me that any team, even number 1, will not drop in their respective rankings if they win out. There are exceptions, of course. If all the one loss teams win out, I don't believe those below us will jump over us. Therefore, if we were below them, it would be very difficult for us to jump them. We would have the best chance if that scenario played out because we would be SEC Champs but being the top 1-loss is one less way for a previously unfriendly (to us) committee to deny us being in the top 4. Just my opinion.