Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opinion: There's still time for UGA's offense to prove its Playoff worthy

SystemSystem Posts: 10,692 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageOpinion: There's still time for UGA's offense to prove its Playoff worthy

Georgia heads to Auburn Saturday with a chance to clinch the SEC East, and on the shortlist of top Playoff contenders. However, there’s seemingly a lingering feeling among some UGA fans that the Bulldogs’ offense might not quite be good enough to achieve those goals. Those concerns are probably overstated. The fact

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJimmy Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Why don’t we stop running it up the middle almost every first down. It’s not working. You want to have a great offense Georgia? Do something the other team doesn’t expect. I can set on the sofa and call the runs up the middle before they happen. Geeez!!

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

That's part of the plan to wear a defense down. Kirbs had said so himself. And given our defense's dominance he sees no real need to change that. Our time of possession is insane. If we can keep Cager healthly, we should be ready for LSU in Atlanta. And I think Kirby might be holding Swift the receiver in his backpocket on purpose....

• Options
    johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me.

• Options
    DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was at the game Saturday on the 50 yard line, great seats. So much better than TV because you can see the routes play out. Too bad Fromm doesn't see them because D-ROB is fast, and he was open on about 85% of the pass plays. Fromm is not anticipating well at all, and seems to lack confidence. Until Fromm speeds up his recognition, we won't go far. Perfect examples are the late throws to Wolf and Kearis in the end zone.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are winning by wearing down the other defense later in the game, right? What happens when/if LSU does not wear down later in the game? We lose something like 30-20. Defense wins games and offense wins the championship. At least that is how I see this turning out unless we turn the offense loose down the stretch. I don't like the odds of counting on our defense to take us to the playoffs, even as good as they are right now. A couple missed assignment on defense and we will be screaming for our offense to score 40 +.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know if it's because he's short but I have seen Swift open for a TD at least twice in key moments this year and Jake simply never saw him. It happened again against Missouri the other night. Swift was at the goal line uncovered and Jake threw to the tight end who had a guy draped on him in the same general vicinity but 5 or 6 yards into the end-zone. Find him Jake! He's usually open.

• Options

We need to run against Auburn but we can't go about it conservatively as in Run,Run, 3rd and 8, here comes the pressure and so on. Got to be aggressive like they did in the Championship game against Auburn after we had our lunch handed to us on the plains.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to say this but even if Georgia was perfect for the rest of the season (including winning the SEC Championship). They still may not make the playoff and here is why i think that. (join in if I haven't thought of something else)

Lets say Clemson and Ohio State remain undefeated (Committee will not penalize them for that). So that leaves UGA, AL, and LSU all with 1-loss. I truly believe the committee will pick LSU and AL over UGA once they start comparing resumes and other supporting material (points scored, allowed, general eye test, flashiness, etc.)

I'm not sure how much weight the strength of schedule plays into things, but the loss to South Carolina has been nothing but detrimental as they keep losing games (last week to App State). AL only loss would be LSU, and LSU only loss would be from the SEC Championship Game.

Even though no other team has had a rushing TD (knock on wood) and UGA have beat 3 top 15 teams in the year, i still think the committee finds a way to put LSU and AL in the playoff somehow. I pray that i am wrong, but the committee hasn't been too kind to UGA (hint last year).

It almost seems like that teams now have to go undefeated to make it, which doesn't seem realistic with the push for strength of schedules and hopefully there will be an 8-team playoff adopted to accommodate 1-loss teams.

Please let me know if i haven't thought of something that would adjust the situation, but UGA has to keep focusing on 1-game at a time and for the offensive to get hot starting this weekend at the Plains.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Billy, Alabama is toast for the playoffs if we beat LSU in the SEC Championship game. LSU beat

Alabama, we beat LSU, how does Alabama get in the playoffs. Are they going to jump LSU with one loss after losing to them?

• Options

Clemson is going if they win out, so is Ohio St if they do. If UGA wins out and beats LSU at #1 or #2 they get in. 3 conference champions . then the question is who is the team that didn't win it's conference but is the 4th best team in the nation. Might depend on the closeness of the UGA-LSU game( of course provided we win out). If say UGa beat LSU handily(in theory) LSU my guess wouldn't make it in, and Alabama might. BAMA lost by 6 with a Tua who looked like he was about 80% with that ankle as far as scrambling(which is a big part of his game).

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

What the author didn't mention, intentional or not, is that 2015 Alabama team had to score 45 points to win that national championship. If Georgia is to win one that offense is going to have to step up in a big way

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I will take a great defense over a great offense eight days a week. It only makes sense the only good thing an offense can do is score. A great defense can not only stop the opposing offense but they can also, you guessed it, score!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hell will freeze before UGA is snubbed after beating LSU in the SECCG. Yeah, No