Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs pass SEC West road test

SystemSystem Posts: 10,538 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs pass SEC West road test

Georgia football defense front seven played incredibly well, but the secondary gave up some big plays in the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs' 21-14 win

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not my column so you can post the grades you think but it does appear that you may have graded the "O" on an upward curve

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think OC Coley, Fromm, the receivers as well as the whole offense deserve much credit for what they accomplished.

The offense had to overcome a hostile crowd against a great defense who had two weeks to prepare.

And the sorry SEC officials were allowing the Auburn DB's to grab and hold our receivers on essentially every play. It really is a credit to the young receivers that they were able to get open as often as they did.

Makes me wonder what they would've been able to accomplish (passing game) had the officials not allowed such egregious play by the Auburn defensive backs...

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake Camarda played no small part in stuffing Auburn for three quarters. If he can do that consistently he will be a very valuable piece to this team. Well done to all the players for giving their best.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think grading the offense that good should be. You said it yourself, "the 3 times they passed the aub 40". ONLY 3 TIMES ALL GAME. SMH.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anybody that isn't just "tickled pink (Red, in our case)" is unbalanced. If the game had been back and forth with us scoring our third touchdown late in the 4th quarter, all the naysayers would talk about "how the offense came through in the end". Well they came through in the game and that is plenty for me. Anytime you go to "the barn" and come away with a win is satisfying. Just my opinions.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were 2 games played by the Dawgs. The first 3 quarters and the last. The first 3 was pretty awesome and an overall solid "A". The last quarter, however, was a "C-" at best.

Look, I hate being negative, but while the first 3 quarters were awesome, the last we practically tried to give Auburn the game. If the game went into OT, we'd lose 100%. If the game went another quarter, Auburn would win by 7-10 points. We stopped doing everything that was working well and decided that it'd be best to do a zone, prevent defense and allow them to start getting easy passes. It's amazing how quickly a team can get 50+ yards when you do that and all of a sudden Auburn finds their rhythm (imagine that) and the crowd starts getting into it (also imagine that). You can't do that. Geez, hasn't our recent history told you that? You need to "finish them off" and continue to do what's been working.

What does it tell you when the play of the game nominated by CBS was a missed pass by Auburn? We gave them an easy wide open slant (surprise, they have been doing those all game) that not only would've been a first down but could've given them lots and lots yards. How about that onsides kick too? We totally weren't even prepared for that even though it was a pretty high probability with them being 2 TDs down late in the game. It only didn't work because of a mistake on their part.

It's a great victory and I'll take it, but if you're like me, you started believing that we were going to lose once Auburn started getting that momentum and still feel unsatisfied. All of that work done in 3 excellent quarters was practically undone by sloppiness in the 4th. We couldn't get a 1st down to save our life. Our penalties starting increasing including sloppy delay of games.

I'm not sure what happened whether it was overconfidence or what, but the coaches need to get it together and not allow it to happen again. LSU would turn that sloppiness into 4 TDs without blinking.

Go Dawgs though! We're heading to the Championship game, but lets make sure A&M doesn't sneak a victory on us.

• Options
    tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Why is there not a grade for the most important item. Defensive and Offensive schemes.

First 3 quarters Defense A+

Last Quarter Defense D Changed from a dominating scheme to a bend not break and it left me with no finger nails.

Whole game Except for our 3rd touchdown drive Offense C grading on the curve.

OC needs to go back and review that drive and hopefully he will see (what anyone else can) what worked. It has been there all year but we seem to use it occasionally then shelve it.

Grading the players is fine but they can only perform the scheme the OC and DC put in place.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm proud of our DAWGS, but like Fromm said, we've got to figure out how to get this offense moving consistently. We'll never survive against LSU if we can't keep Joe Burrow off the field. Our defense is impressive.

Remember, LSU only beat Auburn by 3 points, but they did rack up over 500 yards of offense including almost 200 yards on the ground. We did about half that much total yards yesterday and had like nine 3-and-outs in the 2nd half.

I don't anticipate us moving in the CFP rankings. We should stay at #4.

Keep the foot on the gas and finish the drill. Beat those Aggies!

SIC 'EM DAWGS!!!

• Options
    GREGGDGREGGD Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Kirby Smart is a great recruiter.......not so much as a head coach

• Options
    jodeauxjodeaux Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

This has to be a joke, why does the AJC constantly cover-up for Jake Fromm's play? We had 2 yds TOTAL in the 4th quarter!! He was awful on Saturday, our gameplan was awful. We don't win because of Jake Fromm

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Sorry in advance for the length of this.

Kirk, I usually find your comments refreshingly levelheaded. Not so, in this case.

You say, "We gave them an easy wide open slant (surprise, they have been doing those all game) that not only would've been a first down but could've given them lots and lots yards." No, that wasn't a slant; it was the runningback going out into the flat. It might seem like a trivial distinction, but it makes a difference. If on 4th down, the defense failed to account for Auburn's go-to play, then you'd be right that that would be a solid point of criticism. But that simply is not what happened. Despite all that momentum, the defense put them in a 4th down situation, and hey, they caught a break! It happens all the time.

You say, "How about that onsides kick too? We totally weren't even prepared for that even though it was a pretty high probability with them being 2 TDs down late in the game. It only didn't work because of a mistake on their part." The first player from either team to fall on the ball was Kenny McIntosh. It slipped from his grasp (as bouncing footballs tend to do), but he was there to make a play on it. Not to mention, the "mistake on their part" was illegally blocking Chris Smith, who was also on a direct path to the ball after it went just a few yards. At that point, all options were on the table for Auburn. A conventional onside, kicking it deep, or a pooch somewhere in between. If Georgia pulled everyone up or dedicated a number of certain personnel on the field to defend the onside, they would have been more vulnerable to the pooch, and I'm sure there would have been no shortage of gnashing of teeth had they fallen victim to that. I suppose you could quibble over the execution in the end, if you really wanted to, but I don't see how you can chalk it up to a lack of preparedness.

You say, "If the game went into OT, we'd lose 100%. If the game went another quarter, Auburn would win by 7-10 points." What? Auburn scored their second touchdown with 7 minutes left, after which, they gained 2 first downs and 0 points. There was no overtime, and I've never seen a college football game with 5 quarters (quintets?).

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Continued from previous post:

Yes, Auburn outplayed Georgia for about half a quarter. It's not exactly a revelation that when it rains there, it pours, which is what we saw for the first 8 minutes of the 4th quarter before the Dawgs were able to tamp it back down. There's a point to be made about going into prevent too early, and I'll admit it ended up being a nail biter. But I think the main story here is how sparingly all the circumstances stacked up in Auburn's favor actually manifested. Going into the game, with all the questions about the health of the OL and Cager, and with Auburn strolling off a bye into that home field advantage of theirs, did anyone think it would be as (relatively) easy as the Dawgs made it look for the first 3 quarters? The Dawgs started and ultimately ended the game showing that they deserved the win. For a short period in between, we got a taste of how that game could have gone had Georgia not been so generally capable of conquering the situation. 

Again, Kirk, I normally like and agree with your comments. I don't mean to call you out. But you've made some specific comments here that I felt should be addressed. Let's face it, as a fan base, we can find the negative in just about anything - even a win over the Barn - and your post just happens to provide the structure to address a lot of the negativity that I'm sure is out there. 

GO DAWGS! 

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for all your great articles, videos, etc. Mike. On behalf of us whiny Bulldog fans I want to say how much I appreciate your hard work bringing so much coverage of our favorite team (that we invest way too much of our time and interest in). First let me say Go Dawgs!!! On Wednesday last week I was really nervous about how the Dogs were going to play and would have been happy with any win. So yes, I am happy. That said, count me as among those concerned about how we won.

Through 3 quarters, I was satisfied with the play of the team and the result - but that 4th quarter, OMG. The play calling got so conservative and the team played so tight, they were playing "not to lose" instead of " to win". Thank goodness they won, otherwise, can you imaging what these posts would look like? I listened to your comments on Dawgnation last week about the success of this game being on the shoulders of Jake Fromm. Aside from the nice play action TD to Blaylock, I would say his performance was C- at best. Many times he fakes like he still has the ball after handing off to Swift, and pretends to run the bootleg option. I swear, that play was there several times yesterday. He needs to fake the hand-off and run the keeper, but he NEVER does. He can't keep the OLB from crashing down into the box if he never runs the ball.

We have another tough test when TA&M comes to town next Saturday. Hopefully we can pull that one out and keep our playoff hopes alive. Go Dawgs!