Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH Jake Fromm after 21-14 win at Auburn: 'We have to get better on offense'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH Jake Fromm after 21-14 win at Auburn: 'We have to get better on offense'

Georgia football QB Jake Fromm was pleased with the victory, but he was not satisfied with the offensive output in the 21-14 win at Auburn

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Offense and defense did get a little over-conservative in the 4th, but that's how Kirby does it. The defense picked it up when they needed to, however. A little concerned about the offense, but then again, LSU only scored 23 against Auburn so it's not like they give up a lot of points. And of course prevent defense by everybody doesn't seem to do much. All it prevents is blow-outs to me.

Didn't see Pickens out there much? Were they concerned about his emotional level? All in all though, great win! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens is practically the same player as Marshall for LSU...except for an extra year's experience. The same with Blaylock and Chase for LSU. That gives us a lot to look forward to next year, but this year we need those two and the rest of the receivers pick their game up if we are going to put the points up to beat the Tigers!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great defense!! Best we've had in many, many years. But our offense is so disappointing. I know, Auburn has a great defense. But we have scored 27 or fewer points in 6 out of our last 7 games now. That won't cut it against LSU. For the most part, Fromm has time to throw, but can't find anyone open. Is this poor receiver execution or poor play calling? Whatever the reason, it has to be fixed for us to be legitimate contenders.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So thrilled that we won this game! It is a hard thing to do on the road and I love our Dogs.

With that said, I just don't know what's wrong with our offense. Some will say "players have to execute" but I'm starting to believe it is more than that. It is not that we are getting beat...we are not showing consistency. I have to believe part of the offensive ineptitude is due to a change in offensive coordinator and a WR corps that looks inexperienced. I wish we could see film to analyze what the WR's are doing. We are a ball control offense and Jake seems to play that way to a fault--always looking for shorter yardage. I don't know what it is but I know we are asking a lot of our defense when our offense can't get a first down. Going 3 of 15 on third downs is unacceptable too. I am scratching my head...

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

GA "D" was great. Ga "O" was inept although they did make the most out of a couple of great plays. Punting was superb but punting 11 times in a game is a sure indication that your third down efficiency is not as desired.

Like others I can't determine whether it is poor play calling (i.e. running Cook up the middle) or poor route running by receivers.

Hope the injured intern has a full and speedy recovery

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Receivers Coach is Cortez Hankton. We need to start looking for a replacement.

• Options
    OKDAWG64OKDAWG64 Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

To have a true understanding of our potential issues we need to watch the All-22 film to see if Jake is truly making the correct choice running through his progressions. The TV commentators love to say he is but I often see an open receiver BEYOND THE 1ST DOWN MARKER but Jake dumps it off to his RB well behind the 1st down marker and ni chance to get it.

I love Jake, don't get me wrong (as a Warner Robins guy I take pride in all the guys coming out of Warner Robins schools), but I think he is thinking too much instead of just playing. Jake can place the ball where it needs to be where only his guy has a shot at the ball. That being said, he should be able to pick a defense apart using a tight end who is a mismatch against a defender in almost all cases. I also watch other QBs (I live in pass happy Big 12 land) and I think their QBs throw the ball when the receiver is covered but in a way the receiver makes a move on the ball to get it. If we wait until our receivers have a 5 yard cushion before throwing the ball we are rarely going to have "open" receivers. I think it's time to watch what other successful teams are doing and going out and trying to execute in a similar way.

• Options

We have now played 10 games. The Freshmen players can no longer use inexperience as an excuse and the coaches can't protect them using that as an excuse. They need to step up.

• Options

I assume I'm not the only guy that watches multiple games per week. Why does it seem as if our coaches have no faith in letting Jake play and truly run our offense for FOUR QUARTERS? I watch how conservative we get and it scares the hell out of me because we purposely kill the momentum we had up to the point where we change philosophy. We kill our momentum which allows our opponents to get momentum then we have to hope and pray we had enough points to ride the wave. It makes the end of games unnecessarily close and it's a surefire way to lose games. If the onside kick would have been ruled in AUs favor there's a good chance we lose that game as we had lost, NO, WE ACTUALLY GAVE AUBURN THE MOMENTUM. We will not always be so lucky and the issue is we do it to ourselves as a matter of game philosophy. So I ask the question. Why do our coaches not let Jake do his thing for 4 QTRS, 60 full minutes? I watch other teams and they let their QB continue with what got them there. That's why you see all these guys with 300-400 yards passing each week and many don't have near the talent Jake has. Then you have Jake...can never get into a rhythm, hardly ever throws in 4th qtr unless necessary, and runs basic, vanilla offense if we have a 14 point lead. It's hard to say this but I MISS COACH BOBO. I would have loved to have seen what Coach Bobo could have done with Fromm.

A theory just hit me as I typed. Any chance the coaches are hamstringing Fromm this year so his Draft grade comes back indicating he would benefit from another year in college?? Then they promise him they will open up the offense his Senior year, letting him throw more downfield, especially since Swift will be gone, and the receivers will be more experienced?? I think this is very possible.