Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Theo Johnson: The hold-up and the new thought process for the elite TE

SystemSystem Posts: 10,443 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageTheo Johnson: The hold-up and the new thought process for the elite TE

Theo Johnson is not committing on Monday. Or at least for another week. He tells DawgNation about why stepping back from his previously-state commitment timeline no longer works for him.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

We need him and Washington. Now that would change the culture. You need two great TE's to dominate defenses. Imagine running double TEs, the flexibility that would give with run or pass. Both TEs can split out and become a receiver and present real match up problems for any defense. I know, I'm dreaming, but why not?

• Options
    cbthomascbthomas Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I like the idea of both Johnson and Washington coming to UGA. But if we’re being honest, we hardly ever throw to the tight ends. We use them to block and Coley can’t seem to create anything exciting.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA is chomping at the bit to feed their TEs. They just haven't had one with the skill sets Theo Johnson possesses.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Kirby, every offensive player is a blocker. Even Jake, I believe on a Michel TD run in the Rose Bowl, got downfield to block. Any offensive player that doesn't put the team first and do his job whether it is running routes or blocking based on the play call is not going to be a good fit at UGA. Hopefully, this young man considers the benefits of becoming a complete TE and not just a receiver at the TE position.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And another one bites the dust. Just keep playing that run first throw if you have to and watch all the elite receivers go right on by.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck to the young man! Good on him for recognizing the magnitude of the choice and not be chained to a date. Lots of things are cyclical, even at schools, as offensive personnel, coaches and philosophies come and go. UGA has had lots of great TEs--Leonard Pope, Orson Charles, Benjamin Watson to name a few. Mr. Wolf has brought a unique skill set this year--size, speed, hands--that was missing in the room. Much of UGA's offense is built to their personnel, with a dominant OL, elite RBs, inexperienced WRs and an experienced QB whose football IQ is off the charts. Next year will be a completely different team. No recruit should choose a school based on one or two attributes, especially not football attributes, which change with the wind. The relationships formed, the education obtained and the character built are the bedrock of your future. Choose wisely, young man. Best of luck! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I think setting these commitment dates is silly in the first place. Just pick a school when you pick a school and go with it. No need to set a date because invariably, they go on recruiting trips and see and hear other things and then, like with this kid, their mind gets all jumbled up. He's not coming to UGA and that may be fine. Personally, I think we ought to recruit TE's like we recruit kickers -- get a good 3-star, or even a strong 2-star, and just coach them up. At Georgia, as long as Kirby is there, the PRIMARY focus of a tight end will be to block, block and then block some more. If he happens to catch a pass or two every three or four games, that's just gravy. It just gets me that all of these TE recruits keep saying, "I just want to see how Georgia uses its tight ends." Have they not been paying attention? We DON'T use our tight ends so when they come on an official visit and the TE doesn't catch a single pass (and may not even be targeted), they're like surprised. But I'm not sure why, THAT'S Georgia's offense. The sooner we start refocusing what kind of kid we want at that position, the better we'll be. Just get a pretty good kid who's really hungry and coach him up. Or even go find a good one out of the junior college ranks. But let's quit hotly pursuing these 5-stars who want to be more star receiver than committed blocker because that's not the Georgia way. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Once upon a time, tight ends and fullbacks thrived here in Athens. Hard to believe these days.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All due respect to Charlie and Eli, our current offense would be putting up much better numbers if we had an elite TE on this team. I'm certain of it.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stay prayerful! The good Lord will make it clear which school is right for you.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Commit to the G" and don't listen to all these negative nelly armchair coaches about our TE's. We don't have 'elite' guys in the room right now, plain & simple. As Coley says, CHANGE THE GAME. In Kirby We Trust...