Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH Georgia coach Kirby Smart outlines 3 biggest concerns with Texas A&M

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH Georgia coach Kirby Smart outlines 3 biggest concerns with Texas A&M

Georgia football will have its hands full with Texas A&M on Saturday, and here's 3 reasons why Kirby Smart is concerned about Aggies

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Uxga_XUxga_X Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

@mikegriffith32, typo, TAMU is 7-3, 4-2

• Options
    AskBillyBAskBillyB Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike, the "SEC Grind" is exactly why Clemson and Ohio State are odds-on favorites to win a Natty this year. While those schools rest their 1st-teamers during 2nd halfs vs. Northwestern, Maryland & Rutgers, Wofford, NC State & Wake, Dawgs are slugging it out in the trenches for 4 quarters vs. Florida, Mizzou and Auburn. LSU has played a similar schedule.

OSU screams "We play Penn State this week!" Correct, and it will be easy to get ready for the one game you play this month. Last month, you had one game to get up for, who was it? Oh right, Wisconsin. And since a seasoning opening victory over Texas A&M, Clemson has had three months off!

Now, let's turn to the task of determining a national champion. In tight matchups, give the edge to the club which is the freshest and least injured come playoff time. Hands down, that would be Ohio State and Clemson.

This disparity makes the case for CFP to have a system which yields more equitable schedules. Alas, that will never happen. So, instead, CFP selection committee should place a greater emphasis on schedule strength. Hopefully, that would lead to all schools scheduling more difficult out-of-conference games.

• Options
    GODAWGS70GODAWGS70 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

When most teams win a big game they are very potentially vulnerable for a motivational let down in their next game........especially if they are favored to win in their next game.. It is up to Kirby and his staff to ensure that this does not happen. Let's hope this does not happen and also lets hope that there will be a few less up the middle calls with a cloud of dust and most times only a few yards and that there are more end arounds , reverses and a few more deep balls to keep A&M on their toes. A little more variety in the play calling will keep the defense on their toes and not be able to predict what will happen on most of the plays.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To every talking head I watch, UGA is an afterthought. They all are talking about the final ranking and who is going to be the one seed between LSU and OSU. The Dawgs just need to take care of business against A&M (hopefully, while resting Cager). The Dawgs have a big advantage the final week playing a terrible Tech early while LSU will be playing late against a tough A&M team. With the Dawg defense and run game, LSU will be in trouble!

Get UGA to the playoffs and the Dawgs will be a totally different team. Griff mentions the "SEC grind". By what exponent is that grind magnified when 5 of the past 6 teams have had off weeks leading into their game against the Dawgs. With almost a month to get healthy, most importantly, and prepare between the SECCG and the playoffs, the Dawgs will finally be playing on a level playing field with their opponents.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Georgia number one concern is themselves and their lack of consistency as a team. They have the coaching staff and the talent to be a very elite team, but lack the consistency. The inconsistency Georgia show week to week is why they do not get the national respect they deserve like Bama and Clemson. Georgia has been talking about getting better on offense after each game, which getting better is always a goal. However, they are not showing signs of improvement. Maybe Kirby and his staff needs to relook their approach of getting better by figuring out why they are not improving. In my opinion, they are not attacking the middle of the field, so the receivers can make explosive plays and create separation. They are crippling the receivers with these sideline routes because they now have to work against a defender and the sideline. Second, try more plays to the edges and stop running between the tackles when you know the other team scheme is to stop that from happening. Maybe show more eye candy to the defenders, so it put them in a pickle in staying discipline in their assignments. I think these are adjustments that will help improve the offense. I heard Kirby say they try to do some of these things, but the other team defensive schemes limit their offensive plans. This is another reason making in game adjustment is needed. I know teams do not want to get away from what they plan, but sometimes it is necessary. Just like teams Georgia has played since the Notre Dame game, where Notre Dame exposed the defense with slant routes and Georgia have not adjusted to stopping that. Whenever teams needed a big play or first down, that was their go to play. Look at the game this weekend against Auburn and previous games. Getting better is knowing your weakness and having a plan to fix it or improve it, which Georgia has lacked in doing. I acknowledge Kirby concerns with Texas A&M, but that is only because he has concerns about his own team abilities. You never hear Saban or Dabo talk about concerns they have with an opponent. Their team is programmed to dominate without playing scared or to lose. Right now this is what separating Georgia from those two teams because Georgia has shown they can play with Bama and dominate them until they get to the point of playing safe. This why Georgia do not get the same respect. They talk about how great Bama is, but do not mention how Georgia dominated Bama the last two years without the wins. And Georgia has just as much talent, if not more. 

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Kirby Smart apologizes..." Who among us is perfect?

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is nothing wrong with apologies and no one is perfect, but making adjustments and fixing problems to get better I understand. I learned how through tuff situations during deployments. I know about breaking a person well through this same experiences. I am not a football coach and never dreamed of being one, but understanding situation and how to adjust to make a team better...I think I am pretty good at.