Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs suffer sting wounds despite 52-7 win

SystemSystem Posts: 10,490 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs suffer sting wounds despite 52-7 win

Georgia football won big on the scoreboard, 52-7, but the Bulldogs lost momentum in other areas, such as on the personnel front

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

They are going to need a very solid gameplan to get a win next week. And A efforts on the report card all around. We’ll see if they are up for the challenge.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was very happy to see both Woerner and Simmons catch TD passes. They have both put so much heart and soul into this program, glad to see them come through with big plays - DGD’s both of them!

It appeared that Simmons was no longer wearing the shoulder harnesses that he had been earlier in the season. He will need to come up big if we are to have any chance of beating LSU. Speaking of shoulders, I thought I had noticed Swift favoring that shoulder against A&M. On the fumble play, it didn’t look much like he got hit on it, rather he got twisted funny when he fell.

I thought the coaches did a great job on the halftime adjustments to get the offense moving again in the second half. I was really glad to see Bennett in the game late in the 3rd and Fromm safely on the sideline. The second and third team members got some great extended minutes and you could tell they were fired up to be hitting some guys in gold helmets and getting some real action.

LSU is going to be a tough mountain to climb but if our D can keep them under 30, then I think we have a real punchers chance. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Blaming the coaching staff for Pickens' taking a swing at Swilling seems a little unfair given he sat the first half for an unnamed violation. What were they supposed to do, hold him out of the game completely to avoid something like this?

• Options
    MOSSMAN93MOSSMAN93 Posts: 44 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree 100%!!! Everything you read on this site is doom and gloom no matter how big the Dawgs win. All we read everywhere after the Kentucky win was how bad Fromm looked. WE WON BY 21 POINTS IN A DADGUM TROPICAL STORM....AND SHUT THEM OUT! I've really about had it with Dawgnation as the quality of the content has really gotten weak. It's the same stuff every week. I wish there were some real experts writing real facts. As it is, I don't read too many of the articles here because of this garbage. #GODAWGS & TO HELL WITH LSU!

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Note the current Dawg Nation reporter goes to one post game press conference anybody can see on YouTube and files at least three different news posts on CKS's comments. At least this post is mostly based his original, first hand, observations and opinions.

This writer likes to stir up controversy where is little or none. George Pickens 'issues' are well known and the coaching staff has been working with him for months. This incident, while troubling and hurtful to the young man and THE TEAM, does NOT reflect on the staff, the team or the University.

At the very same post game news conference Smart stated Swift wound probably not miss any practice or future games. In fact CKS noted Swift could have continued to play. Since Tua was injured, the media has jumped on the bandwagon of leaving good players in games, risking injury to them. Its a valid point but I am sure Swift wanted to redeem his earlier fumble, get at least 100s in the game and help the team. I am sure a player like Swift ALWAYS wants to play and that is why all players play the game. If was the third quarter, not the fourth.

Lastly, play calling was GREAT! We did get Cook involved more this game than others in recent memory. Plays were equally balanced between runs and passes. We tried more slant pattern and other passes to the middle of the field. I think Jake made some progress with his passing. My only quibble is we did not take advantage of last minutes of the 2nd quarter. Jake used to be a master of the two minute drill. But he had little opportunities this year. We missed an opportunity to give him some practice and change to gain some confidence after the slow start.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Griffith is always looking for controversy or to be critical; I know at least a few times I, and most other commenters, thought his grades were too lenient.

But this time, I do think he is being overly critical.

He blames Swift for having the ball in the wrong hand "even before the injury." Didn't Smart already explain that Swift was already having issues with his left side? And wouldn't that explain why the ball was in his right hand?

I've seen quite a few takes on the Pickens situation that I would consider questionable, but I'd put blaming the coaching staff and other players in its own category of overreaction.

And while there were obviously some issues on special teams that would preclude an overall decent grade, the fact that the special teams touchdown wasn't even mentioned (and maybe even the perfect execution in pinning tech inside the 2 or so) seems indicative of an intent to focus on the negative.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It WAS indeed a sloppy game especially in the first half. Passes dropped, deflected, fumbling balls all over the place, etc. I know that may seem crazy given the final score, but let's face it - if we played that way against LSU, we would've been scoreless at the half.

The only upside was indeed the defense which looked amazing all game. Certainly not what we expected coming into the season.

But that all means nothing. We will be running on overdrive next week and will need to calm ourselves and make passes happen. My guess is that LSU will be ready for any run and won't change that strategy even if we get the passing going. The game will be decided based on the Receivers grade. Make those passes and we head into the playoffs. Be sloppy and we will lose by 10 to 17 points.

• Options
    MOSSMAN93MOSSMAN93 Posts: 44 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yes Smart did say that about Swift's trouble with his off shoulder, which would explain why he didn't have it in that arm. But you see that is what the horrible TV commentator said during the game, drawing specific attention to it during the game. Orlovsky I believe? Griffith must have heard the comments on it. But Orlovsky is a goober and doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm thinking overall B not C-