Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH Georgia coach Kirby Smart on George Pickens: 'We're gonna help him grow up'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH Georgia coach Kirby Smart on George Pickens: 'We're gonna help him grow up'

Georgia freshman WR George Pickens has great talents, but he has an issue with immaturity and controlling his emotions, and now it will cost his team as they head to Atlanta to play LSU next Saturday

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll be surprised if Pickens is with the team next year! Obvious academic issues in his first semester is not surprising for a player that barely qualified. Million dollar talents with 10 cent heads for the Dawgs usually thrive at Auburn.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens, at 18, has to learn a hard lesson...this is not high school anymore. He may be a 5-Star star but I do not see much of this type of reckless behavior in NCAA football often because of automatic ejection and setting out first half of the next game. Now UGA has to suffer for it as well as a team. Self control will come as he matures into the game of college football. He is very talented. Kirby says he will help bring George along in his maturity....hope so. He could have easily been injured in the altercation...that was another of Kirby's fears. LSU is next ....the Dawgs must do to them what they have done to 11 other teams.....BEAT THEM! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow. Really surprised to see the hate on Pickens. What he did happens in nearly every game. Ref should have thrown a flag on both players and let it go at that.

I would like to see the team pursue every appeal possible to get him eligible to play. I guarantee you that’s what Bama or LSU or Ohio State would do. If they don’t, I can see Pickens entering the transfer portal.

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s like that old, VERY politically incorrect joke about mixed blessings – about your wrecked Cadillac and your Mother-in-Law.

No way it was worth it, and unless he makes some BIG changes over the off-season, he’ll be sitting on the bench next year, or he’ll be gone – and he’ll deserve it.

But at the same time, he’s shown all year he’s willing to defend himself and his territory. He’s shown that he’s tough enough and aggressive enough for the SEC.

And right now, he’s shown ME that I wouldn’t trade his potential for a dozen D-robs.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree entirely with his ejection and all the comments made by Smart, Fromm etc... However once again, this instance highlighted the many problems with officiating. Every bit of that fight took place within three feet of the ref who was staring at the Swilling and Pickens anticipating the fight. How in the world did he miss the initial/many haymakers thrown by Swilling? If ever a play needs a review it is those involving fights. While being the "one that got caught" does not excuse Pickens, both players should have been ejected and Tre Swilling who will be back at Tech should sit the first half of their next game to start 2020.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spdawg. It’s not so much hate on Pickens as it is fans are tired of seeing instances where he has hurt the team. Champions play with poise and discipline. Past instances have occurred where he drew or could have drawn a flag for his boneheaded shenanigans. He was about to do a throat slash after a reception (forget which game) and Charlie Woerner grabbed him and prevented a fifteen yard penalty that would have negated the reception. I said early In the season he was going to seriously hurt this team if he doesn’t get under control. Here we are. This is where we need him the most and he’s gone for half of our biggest game of the year. Great talent but poor lack of poise and discipline. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

He's clearly going to be a great player, but the only way the coaches can make Pickens "get it" is to take away the ONE THING he wants above anything else: playing time. It will make a dent now. You act up, you don't play. And if he's still gonna play **** then he'll be off the team. Period.

• Options
    CdogCdog Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Heres some advice to pass along, If you keep making the same mistake people will begin to think you are not very smart.

• Options
    rockswedenrocksweden Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I believe by this point in a players 1st year they have matured and bought into the team as much as they are going to. I hate to lose him but I seriously doubt Pickens finishes his cfb career with the Dawgs. He either gets kicked off or more than likely transfers out to a program that fosters the “me 1st” mentality aka UF or AU. I really hope he proves me wrong, though.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

What should he have done? Let Swilling pull him out of bounds, punch him, throw him down and stomp him? A penalty flag should have been thrown at the outset when Swilling grabbed Pickens jersey and pulled him out of bonds. Smart would have whipped Swilling's A and so would any other TOUGH Georgia player. Pickens for Heisman!!!! or at least, Badass award. BAM! Up against the fence!

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

All you pathetic whiners below are not facing the truth. Swilling started the fight. SO! SHUT UP!!!