Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Does Georgia football have to beat LSU for 2019 to be a successful season?

2»

Comments

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My answer is yes. If we're not consistently competing for NC's at least every other year then this current program is just a regular season win total better than CMR's program and in some ways it would be worse because CKS has way more talent than CMR ever had. The 2017 season raised my expectation beyond just getting to the SECCG. CMR did that at least 5 times and should have been 2 more except for Mizzou. The last 2 seasons just won't allow me to be satisfied with making it to the SECCG and end up with a New Years 6 Bowl game. Sometimes quick success will spoil the fan base.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What does competing for NC's every other year mean? In the final? In the playoffs? In the hunt for playoffs?

• williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

I believe the main goal has always been to win the SEC. Now that there's a national championship game I suppose the goal has changed. I don't think winning the SEC East carries a lot of clout these days. To win the conference means winning one more.

• EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

this is the kind of article an beatwriter pens when they think their team is about to lose.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel as tho the answer to this question is yes.

but not directly as failure = losing to LSU, but success this season would mean us playing to our full potential ( which I still feel we haven’t seen yet) and I feel if we play to our potential LSU will need some blood stop and ice packs from this Blugening.

go dawgs !

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Are we holding Kirby to the same standards that Mark Richt was held to? We fired a very good head coach because winning the east was not good enough. Too Mark Richt's credit, he competed against some heavy weights (Phillip Fulmer, Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, James Franklin and Gary Pinkel) to win the east and he certainly didn't recruit on the same level as Kirby but the man did well with the players that he develop.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I sure as hell hope that we are NOT holding Kirby to the same standards that we held Richt. I hold Kirby to a much...MUCH Higher standard....Kirby is expected to produce championship teams

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GBAL, competing for championships to me means being in the playoffs. With the way we recruit, it's not unreasonable to expect to be in the playoffs every other year.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gregg McGarity set the standards high for all the coaches including Mark Richt. That was my point. Mark Richt didn't meet those standards and was let go.

Would you ever put an ultimatum or certain number of wins in any given sport that a coach would need to attain and would do that to Richt?

Gregg McGarity- "No, I would not ... across the board. I think our first meeting that we had with our coaches back in September, that was one point that was made very clear. All our coaches know what’s expected of them, they’re expected to compete for championships, to be in the hunt, and that’s an expectation that we all have. So I’m not here to put a number of wins or anything.