Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Bulldogs crash in SEC Championship Game loss

13»

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could it be that our offense is hamstrung, at least partially, because of our "huge" OL? They seem to be so big and devoid of ability to move horizontally that their only blocking ability is solely straight ahead which makes it easy for DL to fill the gaps and stuff the runs between the tackles.

• Options
    BigredBigred Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Not sayin this is why we lost but our equipment mgr is apparently awful at the cleat selection for the turf. Unreal the number of injuries caused by them. Lsu had zero injuries to our ten or more

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

No it is not the most idiotic question, it is the 800lb silverback in the room that everyone knows to be the truth. All they can do now is pray that Justin Fields does not win the Heisman or a Natty, or both!!!

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

The way Kirby likes Fromm I doubt Fields would get any chance regardless. Plus some fans would go crazy once he makes a mistake. Either way, that’s in the past. Georgia needs to rethink its offense this postseason

• Options
    OfRayRayOfRayRay Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman
    edited December 2019

Wasn’t the unstated, but generally considered the reason Fromm beat out Fields was because of Fromm’s superior ability to manage the game and do what was necessary to win, albeit not with some top ten team offensive numbers across the board? Unless I’m imagining the whole thing, Fromm has been generally lauded for his game management more so than his arm, legs, or accuracy, right? He really hasn’t shown, to me or anyone in the wide wide world of NCAAF, an amazing pro-like arm like that of Trevor or Tua, no less Burrow, Hurts, Big Skinny, and now Fields. The thing is, one doesn’t need to “game manage” when their arm or legs are lighting up the scoreboard. Sure, maybe in a close game such a comparable skill set would be beneficial, but those guys I listed, with the exception of Eason, hasn’t had to manage a thing because they aren’t in close games. Oh, wait, Hurts and Tua have been in close games in back to back years where game management was being done by their opponent’s QB. The only thing Hurts and Tua managed, using arms and legs, was a comeback victory at the Dawgs expense.

• Options
    ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

If you can't say that Jake Fromm's stock is down, you really need to give this job to someone else.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My thoughts are not based on just this game but for the season as a whole. I understand we were playing one of the top teams in the country tonight and they were healthy and we were not. Our chances were not good from the start. Cager and Pickens out, Swift definitely not anywhere close to 100% and then the pleather of injuries sustained during the game. Realistically our chances were low. I’ve tried to put my finger on the decline in Fromm all year and this is what I think, Jake Fromm is not comfortable with James Coley. When Coley moved from receivers to qb coach last year it had a negative effect on Fromm and this year has seen a huge decline. Coley’s offense sucks plain and simple. Kirby has to get an OC he is comfortable enough with to remove his hands from the offensive side of the ball. Cortez Hankton is not developing anybody at receiver. Sloppy routes and not giving it 100% seems to be ok with Cortez. Smart needs to open the check book to get Bobo in here and turn the offense completely over to him. I know Coley is this South Florida ace recruiter but you still have to coach and developer or it don’t matter who you recruit. We have to be able to score points against the top tier SEC teams.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Easy to overreact after a tough loss. One of the few games that played out exactly as the matchup predicted—a huge offense completely out-scheming a very good defense, and a moribund offense that couldn’t move against a good and improving, but not great, SEC defense. But we learned several important things, particularly about the offense, and can only hope Kirby learns as well. First, while five extremely large humans is helpful, it does not guarantee rushing success, particularly against six, seven or more defenders. Second, pass catchers matter, so don’t sign WRs without uncommon height, speed and glue for hands. Two of the three are minimum requirements. Third, creative play design—formations and route trees—does not exist on our offensive coaching staff and should be priority ONE for improvement. I don’t know if Bobo is the answer, either as an OC, QB coach or analyst, but his offenses set scoring records and QBs flourished. Fourth, recruiting matters, but coaching matters more. Our very good defense, while featuring only a few “elite” recruits, has clearly been well coached. Our offense, featuring many more “elite” recruits, has grossly underachieved. I understand the loss of WRs, both from last year and through injuries this year, but the lack of pass catching development from several (not freshman) WRs is unacceptable. I admit that I am not in a position to evaluate individual coaches, especially when trying to balance recruiting and coaching proficiency, but development of QBs and WRs seem particularly lacking. From my limited perspective, only Sam Pittman escapes extreme scrutiny. On defense, and NOT on offense, regardless of what we heard this week, I saw a different game plan than “normal,” which was game-planned to the opponent. And while the three-man rush did not produce enough pressure, the running game was stunted, and the QB scrambles were mostly contained, with some timely exceptions. At least there was acknowledgement that “normal” wouldn’t be good enough and some things needed to be different. While results were mixed, I give at least some points for creativity. On offense, I saw very little different, other than a bit more effort at throwing toward the middle and some slants and trying to get Cook involved, when Swift was obviously limited. Clearly, we are VERY predictable and not difficult to game-plan for. I didn’t expect us to win this game, but I expected at least a bit more of offensive success. Give LSU credit. That’s an elite, Heisman-worthy QB, and very good WRs. The pass game coordinator is a savant. It’s a great blueprint for offensive success. I hope Kirby sees it that way and uses it to improve the future of the UGA program. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you @ShoottheHooch, a lot of blame on Fromm here, but he didn't just now wake up and be terrible. We SAW with our own eyes what he did as a freshman and sophomore. We didn't accidentally get to the National Championship game and it wasn't just because we had Chubb and Michel and Roquan Smith. If that was the case, then we would have won with them in 2016, Kirby's first year. Our receivers (along with the O-Line) showed absolutely ZERO improvement all year. In turn, I think that led to Fromm's regression. I think the lack of growth by the receivers, the O-Lines lack of dominance, even against average defenses, and Fromm's sudden problems with accuracy and game management, are the biggest disappointments (and mysteries) this year. Throw in Rodrigo Blankenship's inability to hit field goals in the clutch (something that's been happening since the 2018 Ga. Tech game) and it's a recipe for what we have -- an 11-2 season that somehow feels like we went 6-7.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When you have three straight years of top 5 recruiting and get beat this badly, then there is really only one place to lay the blame: coaching. It is time to scrap the Pro Style offense!! Hire Bobo and a new receivers coach. Start getting the most of our talent-laden offensive players. I'm tired of humming this same old tune every year; it's a continuation of the Richt era.