Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What's next for Georgia: Bowl bid, players leaving, potential staff changes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWhat's next for Georgia: Bowl bid, players leaving, potential staff changes

Georgia football will have a lot of moving pieces in the next 48 hours, with several players determining their futures, Smart considering his staff and then hitting the recruiting trail

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DaReal_KenDaReal_Ken Posts: 7 ✭✭ Sophomore

Recruits don’t want to play for a boring offense, just saying.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely a bad loss and bad luck and execution. Just a fail. Bad enough to where even if we had won to SC, we'd still be out of playoffs after that loss. Now we see how far we drop. I'm worried we might no longer be considered the best non-bowl SEC and might drop below Florida and possibly Auburn and even Bama. Ugh

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, I disagree with you completely! This team's 'trajectory' has plateaued and is slipping backwards. Smart's best years may be behind him now. Our offense is a mess and has no identity. Our defense has kept us in a lot of games but was torched today. Coaching is questionable at best and Fromm should NOT be our QB next season even if he decides to return. His best days are behind him too.

Bama and LSU now OWN us.

I'm not sure where this team goes from here, but we MUST evolve from this conservative run-heavy offense to a more dynamic explosive style that emphasizes the passing game.

Evolve or DIE.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Certainly hate the way this game went, but crying about it won't do any good. Still have a quality bowl game to prove how good we are. And to play for pride.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Fromm and Smart should talk. Get Georgia to get him and insurance policy for injuries and commit to finding some WRs at any cost as well as a new OC focused on passing.

I heard 3rd round for awhile and this loss might push him to 4th. Couldn't imagine it'd be best to go Pro finishing like this, but we needs support or he would be better off just heading off.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coley=Schottenheimer

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's unfair to Schottenheimer. He didn't have a pro quality offensive line and a returning 3rd year starter at QB who had taken the team to the championship.

PLEASE BRING BACK BOBO!!

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

@MaddDawg You've said EXACTLY what I have been saying all this year and last year. That's all....lol.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The result is more or less what I expected. When Mel Tucker and Jim Chaney left, Kirby had an opportunity to significantly upgrade his staff. But he decides to stay put. It worked out OK on the defensive side, but definitely not on the offensive side. The fact that the offense regressed over the course of the season is really disturbing. Entering the fifth year as UGA head coach, Kirby's career is really at a cross road. He is facing the challenge of making good decisions on his assistants as well as some uphill battle on the recruiting trail because of the on field result. Where our program goes from here, we just have to wait and see. I would really hope he makes some "Smart" decision, and would really hate to see a promising start of his UGA coaching career going downhill from here.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guys, Fromm is hurt. Look at how he is throwing the ball this year vs last. An injury will mess up your mechanics too. I suspect something is going on with his shoulder.

The game was over when Blaylock went out. Simmons, Landers, and Robertson is not the WR crew you want to depend on winning a championship. The defense held as long as it could but the offense couldn't do anything.

2020 starts now. I'm sure some guys won't play in the bowl game and I don't blame them. The window to earn that kind of money is more important than a non-championship bowl game.

• Options
    Birdie_Num_Num_DawgBirdie_Num_Num_Dawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

"Get rid of Mark Richt" they said.

"Kirby will win a National Championship within 4 years" they said.

"Kirby coached teams won't get blown out in big games like previous coaches" they said.

• Options

So what type of brilliant coaching changes will we see in the offseason? Will we actually see ANY?

• Options

Signs of a program in decline

1. Smart year 2 - leading NC game late and ultimately losing to Bama in OT
    2. Smart year 3 - leading SECCG late and ultimately losing to Bama on late score
    3. Smart year 4 - reaching SEECG and getting blown out by LSU

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Enough about this tonight's performance....I'm now more concerned about the future. 1) Kirby appears to have little urgency to make a necessary change in offensive philosophy/system - we will continue to lose ground to elite teams (btw-we're not one), 2) Recruiting will take a hit especially with top WR/TEs...we're already seeing it, and it may eventually affect defensive recruits, 3) Our program is now officially trending down. 2020 is a crossroads year and if we don't reverse it, we'll be a 2nd tier team for the next 5 years. Will Kirby be bold, brave and humble enough to make the needed changes?

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

question I have:

1) what percentage of scoring drives ended in td’s vs fg’s?

2) what about the havoc rate in games against ranked opponents this yr?

3) percentage of incompletions that we’re from drops?

these are all questions that we as fans are owed answers to. It seems to me our coaching staff is full of crap! We were told they would air it out and spread it around and we saw a starting qb that was below 50% completion rate in the last 3 games! Ladies and gentlemen we are owed better than that!

Also, I never have seen swift as an elite back, he was a great complimentary back to Chubb and Michel. Chubb and Holyfield were the ones getting the tough yards and softening the defense. Swift has finess, but a between the tackles back he is not and we have needed that this yr. do not be surprised if Cook transfers.

We as fans are all really mad right now because we have been sold a ketchup lollipop that gave up in a game when the first drive had 2 drops. I just hope Kirby takes his own advice:

change is inevitable, but progress is optional!