Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: Sam Pittman's departure provides opportunity for UGA to reinvent itself

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football podcast: Sam Pittman's departure provides opportunity for UGA to reinvent itself

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not a fan of the UGA offensive non-creative play calling, and understand the notion that Sam's departure might be an "opportunity" to re-invent the UGA offense, but it also provides an opportunity to screw that up. If the SEC Championship game had been an actual game with both teams playing well (not talking about injuries - UGA has plenty of players any team would want), we might be in a better position to decide such things. But that game was deceptive. What does it look like if 6 passes are caught that were not (including the first pass of the game), and if an interception is made in the end zone (maybe that's why J.R. didn't make the SEC 1st or 2nd team, since every coach and journalist connected to the SEC was watching that game)? What then? Just saying. Now, I, for one, am a huge Ed Orgeron fan (even when I was in LA and USC let him go - huge mistake IMO) and I'd take him today over the still-learning and intransigent Kirby Smart, but I don't know that it's time to burn it down and start over. I am concerned about Mr. Fromm. Let's see if he comes back (should - or should go to a team that has exceptional QB skill coaches). And let's see what happens this Spring if Mr. Mathis is finally cleared. Could get interesting. Sorry, too long a note but bottom line was, what would UGA have looked like in that game if it had simply caught the football (oh yeah, and tackled the other team's quarterback).

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well this is quite a spin job. Losing Pittman and keeping Coley is not good no matter how you slice it. Have fun going 8-4 next season.

• Options
    JimmyJimmy Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

If Kirby refuses to change his system to use the talents of the players, AKA Justin Fields, then he is no better coach then Paul Johnson. How many great Georgia QB’s are going to win NC’s for other teams before he gets a clue. There’s another great one in Rabun county right now that is the number 2 ranked player in the country for his class and I haven’t heard a word about Georgia even having interest in him. He must not fit their great system. Here we go again.

• Options
    PianomanPianoman Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Let me start by admitting that I have no idea about what contractual agreements are made between schools and recruits up front, so feel free to let me know if I'm completely off base. For the purpose of this post, all that I am about to say will be in reference to football. That being said, I have to voice my opinion about players that have the choice of playing or not playing in a post season bowl game. In short, I don't feel there should be a choice. When a player commits to a school , that commitment should be for the entire season of each year he is on campus. Where there is a full scholarship involved, the player commits to whatever the requirements are to participate. In exchange, the school commits to providing the offer of a free college education. Obviously, there are other benefits ,for both sides; exposure for the athlete and hopefully more wins for the school. Ironically, both of those lead to a better paycheck for someone. We all know that the goal of most scholarship football stars is not a degree, but, rather, a huge NFL salary and early retirement. And no coach will tell you that a postseason bonus is something they don't think about at some point during the season. So, here is the point. Each and every player that steps on the field, either in a game or in practice runs the same risk. Injury. So, I hold no belief in the thought process that a player that has declared or will declare for the draft should be entitled to skip the bowl game to protect against injury. A contract is still in effect; one that runs the course of the season. And should that include a post season game, then so be it. And too bad if it's not a game he may not be interested in. I guarantee that if it were a chance to play for a national championship, that same player would be out there and probably want a spotlight on him. And let's not forget, that his own incredible talent aside, there is the team around him that lets him display that talent. All through the season when a player is allowed to be interviewed, we hear things like - "I just want to thank my teammates; if it weren't for them".........on and on the rhetoric goes about how important the team is. That is until it's time to declare. Then, it's "I can't risk injury for the sake of one more game." Well, what about the team now? Do you think it's possible that they may want to have the same chance at winning this post season game that you don't care about? It makes me wonder how important the team is or has been. The star has used them until it's no longer in their best interest. Should that player be able to choose to not play against a "cupcake"? or maybe the 2nd Saturday of each month? or anytime before 3 PM? The season ends with the last game and that may be a bowl game. And EVERY player should be made to complete that season - for the sake of the team, the coaches, and yes, the fans.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pittman-Excellent Recruiter, Good O-Line Coach, Head Football Coach for a SEC team? Apparently, position coach experience is all the experience needed to lead Arkansas. Queue the twilight zone music.