Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA star knew early in the season what type of offense the Bulldogs had

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageUGA star knew early in the season what type of offense the Bulldogs had

UGA’s offense gets a lot of the blame for the downfall of this year’s championship hopes. On the other hand, the Bulldogs’ defense was considered one of the college football’s best, and was largely responsible for keeping the team into playoff contention until last week. UGA safety JR Reed is a finalist for the Jim

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you have 4 NFL talent WR's to throw to, your numbers should look good..

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Need a new offensive philosophy change to take the next step. We need a grown up passing game like LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. You know, the teams that are in the playoffs.

• Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

3/5 of the top offenses in football are in the playoffs. I contend that when we had the opportunity to sharpen our skills Kirby was calling off the dogs. I remember vividly making comments about us scoring 39 against Vandy and LSU hanging just south of 70! As I recall i was challenged by others that LSU also gave up 30 to the dores and people happy to win by 1..just keep winning. Chopping wood. Blah blah blah. I wonder how it could be so obvious to the fans early on and then the media finally caught on late. CKS never did. And we sit at home when the games really matter. A shame. And as long as he refuses to evolve , this is as good as it gets. “In this league they will chew you up if you can’t run the ball.” No. In modern day football you will get your teeth kicked in if you can’t spread em out and throw the ball so that you can run!

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reed made a true statement, when he stated you begin to know what you are by week 5. All things considering....Georgia offense did not improve throughout the year. Every since the Notre Dame game the offense never showed any consistency to include Jake Fromm performance. As a matter of fact, Jake performance regressed compared to previous years. We can say they lost their top four pass catchers to the NFL. A lot of teams loses their top performing athletes. However, teams recruit every year and they recruit the position they need help in improving. Bottom-line, Georgia did not evaluate well at the receivers position with the kids the recruited or they are not doing a good job in developing them. You have Trey Blount who was highly recruited out of high school and has not made an impact yet. Tyler Simmons never developed into a top pass catcher. Matt Landers with the size, never won many 50/50 passes that came his way. Kearse Jackson and Robertson still need some work of improvement. But they were considered good recruits. Jake numbers looked good because his accuracy was great the previous years. This year Jake had a habit of missing wide open receivers with over throws and short throws. He also held on to the ball waiting for complete separation instead of throwing the ball out of the receiver breaks. He had habits of staring down the receivers instead of looking down field. These are my opinions from what I have seen. Many may disagree, which is their right.    

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as I love my Dawgs, I’m not so sure I will be looking forward to the 2020 season as much as I was looking forward to this one. It appears Coley will be returning. However, I’m thinking it may have to be Kirby who is dictating how he wants the offense to look. If this is the case, Kirby may need to let Coley do his job. The offense did seem to show some different looks in SECCG. We’ll see what the Sugar Bowl is like. Go Dawgs!

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

In my opinion, this is what happened. We lost 5 receivers from last year, this year we had true freshmen (18 y/o) receivers, K.S. went on a transfer search, picked up a senior t/e and w/r. This should not have happened. He's a young h/c, gonna make some mistakes...this was one. Fromm had nobody to throw to, literally...that he was "in sync" with. Granted, they will "move into" sync, given time....but that's something we didn't have. Somewhere along the way, he lost confidence...easy to do when you hit them in their hands and they don't catch the ball. I don't know, at this point, what it's going to take...because, you say, they've had all year to "get in sync". They haven't...the LSU game shows you that if nothing else...6 dropped passes, of which most would have changed the game...don't know if we would have won it otherwise. But it sure would have looked different at the end. Fromm is taking this and putting it on him...it's Kirby Smart's "to bear". He's human, I think he's going to be the coach we need...as in anything in life, "the crime is committed" is when you don't learn from your mistakes...only time will tell. I'm looking at this Sugar Bowl as a game, not only do we need to win it...we have to win it. I don't want our guys to hang their head over this past season, they did the best they could...and almost pulled it off. Now we just need to finish. As usual...GO DAWGS!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Which four are you talking about? I didn't see a WR in the group that would have been drafted if eligible in this year's draft.

Cager came to UGA rather than declaring because he wasn't ready for the NFL and played virtually the entire year with an injured shoulder and ribs. Simmons has hand of stone. Robertson hasn't proven to be a good SEC receiver much less NFL. Pickens and Blaylock were not early enrollees and played the entire year in the SEC with high schoolers bodies. They certainly have the potential to go to the league, but not even close this year.

Please! You or anyone else who make such claims, and there are many, name the receivers that could have been playing in the NFL this year. Coley, Fromm, and I would like to know!

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

True AirmanE, but Fromm also on the 3rd play of the game missed a wide open Robertson running across the field that could have been s potential TD. Then he threw a short pass that resulted into a interception right before the half, which we could have gotten some points. Then he starred down a receivers and threw another pick that lead to a short field for LSU, which the scored  a TD. It is a lot of blame that can be shared in several directions. The thing is...it is football that is played be humans. No one is perfect, but Kirby and his staff do not need to deflect that they had a problem on offense. Stop saying they lost their top pass catchers. Stop trying to push blame on receivers dropping passes. LSU receivers dropped some as well. It was an offensive effort that was bad all season. Plus, avoiding putting some of the blame on Fromm is due diligence because of Fields leaving and the support Fromm has earned playing the quarterback position.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is an aside, but here goes. I've seen quite a few references to Landers dropping that ball in the endzone (most recently below). Looked like great coverage to me. The DB's positioning kept Landers from being able to bring his right hand up to the ball. He made an effort to bring it in with his left arm, but it was knocked away. You could argue that if he had been able to position himself better he might have gotten two hands on it, but I think it's a stretch to call it a drop. Sometimes the defender simply wins the play, which is what that looked like to me.

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

Hooch, I think you misunderstand. 1Sicem and others were referring to the past two years, when Fromm had NFL-level talent to throw to, and clearly did not have that level of talent to throw to this year. Hence, the completion percentages were much higher one and two years ago. The four WRs referenced are likely Wims, Godwin, Hardman and Ridley. Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Landers is a physical specimen at 6-5 and 210. But he plays like a finesse guy, as opposed to Cager who is going to out muscle his defensive guy.. I hope he makes huge strides this next year, we need him to, but I saw early on in the year that throwing to him was a wasted throw, that is, he wasn't going to catch it. Same deal with Simmons, just hands of stone like someone else said. But, with Cager hurt and Pickens out in a game or two, they had to play. I think someone didn't do their job recruiting them to play at a major school like UGA or else these two have taken a dramatic turn for the worse. Pickens should break some records before he leaves UGA but how we got him I don't think even he knows. Sometimes the dice roll your way.

• GABirdDAWG69GABirdDAWG69 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Never mind the countless number of dropped balls, over throws, under throws, late throws and just simple poor execution across the board on the offense. But hey let's lay it on the offensive philosophy 🙄

Sums it pretty well can't disagree with anything said. My observations as well.

Completey missed what he was saying, he was talking about last years team with 4 NFL caliber WR's not this years team. Cager is the only WR on this years team who could even sniff the NFL and I'm not sure he can stay healthy long enough to do that.

That was my mistake, I didn't specify the year. You are correct though, I was referring to last year's team. And I agree with ShoottheHooch, I saw maybe 1 this year close to NFL talent..Cager. Possible Pickens, and Blaylock developed into NFL talent in the future. Time will tell..GoDAWGS!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our offensive philosophy was pound the ball up the middle and wear the opponent down so that in the 4th quarter we have our way with them. That pretty much worked until you have to score points and your philosophy goes out the window. With Cager we had a good go to guy for 3rd down conversions and we managed to skate buy some close ones, but it never looked pretty and it led to a few 4th quarter nail biters and UGA never passed the eye test. I think we all knew that brand wasn't going to play well against LSU. Now it ended up playing worse than even most suspected which is telling. And so some want to say they like this brand of offense? Well, it appears you are in luck because we don't really have any other options. Our receiving corp is either depleted due to a lack of eligibility left, or to a lack of skills, or to injury. So, smash mouth football philosophy, here we come. For better or for worse.

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, it doesn't come off that way at all. There's no context for reading that statement this way.