Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Junkyard Mail: Bulldog Nation wasn’t a very happy place this week

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageJunkyard Mail: Bulldog Nation wasn’t a very happy place this week

Dawgs fans weren’t in a very good mood after another loss in the SEC Championship Game, this time a blowout, and a season that saw continued offensive struggles. As reflected heavily in the Junkyard Mail, fan talk this week was full of discussion over what Kirby Smart needs to do about the offense (and whether he’ll

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Technically, you can fit a round peg into a square hole. Great article though, Bill.

• Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

Although the sky is falling is nothing new for college fan bases, especially for us UGA fans, i think too much is being made about this one season. Everybody was excited for it to start with expectations but deficiencies were noted at the start and had a huge part in the outcome. I think there is something to the arguments for modernizing the offense but at the same time there wasn't a collective feeling of outdated in 17 and 18.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Smart better be searching for the best offensive minds in the country. Because that run the ball down people's throat time is over. and you can say what you want to say about our quarterback but he isn't better than Justin. fromm is the check down King if he has two 1,000 yard rushes behind him he will look decent if he has to pass to bring us back we're in trouble. Smart better fix this our defense is elite our offense is just playing horrible. We will be better off running the option

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Uga abandoned the Mobile/Dual Threat QB when coach Dooley retired. That's too bad because several Elite Mobile/Dual Threat QBs were starting to come down the pipe line. Charlie Ward, DJ Shockley (started only 1 season), Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence (who by the way is as mobile as they come) all won a championship and 2 won the heisman trophy and if Justin Fields wins a national championship this season that will be 5 QBs who left the state to lead their team to a national championship victory.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article as usual Bill. You summed up the major concerns coming out of this season very well.

Concerning UGA's outdated offense, I couldn't agree more. Evolve or die.

Concerning Fromm, I do think that unless we seriously change our offensive attack to a more spread, dynamic, and fast-paced style, then Fromm will continue to struggle against those teams (which are most of them) that load the box and force him to pass. I also think that college football teams, in general, do much better with a DUAL threat QB who is big enough yet mobile enough to be a run threat. 3 out of 4 teams in the playoffs this season use dual-threat QBs (Clemson being the lone outsider although Lawrence can move if he needs to do so).

If Fromm comes back next season I hope to heck another QB will challenge him and possibly replace him. I think his best days are behind him in our current style offense.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One proven SEC quality wide receiver and he was hurt half the year and the problem was Fromm and the OC. Please, someone name the receivers that could have lined up in the spread and made a difference whose name is not Cager. With Cager, Fromm 70+%, equal to Burrow with three experienced SEC quality receivers. Without Cager, 50%.

It sure seems that Dawg fans were a much happier lot when our chances of even playing in the SEC championship game were decided in October and we had our bowl game out of the way before New Year's.

As for me, I realize Kirby has had just three full recruiting classes and a 13 win season, an 11 win season, and probably a 12 win season. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he may know what he's doing!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess we commenters have like company...dual it up again like my old friend Vince Dooley. Backed up by a solid rushing game, Fromm looks respectable, not having to use his arm to come from behind. It 's comical but UGA used Hot Rod to boot us back into games. UGA either comes into 21st century football or remains chopping wood with an axe, not even a chain saw!! So to speak. Bama joined the air corps offense...why not Smart??? These defensive coaches don't make the best head coaches necessarily. They play not to lose...true. All four of the top teams play to win and that means air it out every game. UGA....loses by almost 4 touchdowns to LSU. My point. Could have been closer but not a win by UGA....not under the current "administration." Kirby may just see the light here soon. Some decent WRs have committed. Commit Carson Beck...well he's a pro style QB. But has the ability to leave the pocket....encouraging. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

All things equal. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole but?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You may need to worry about the defense.....Mike Norvell, new HC at FSU, has his eye on Dan Lanning!!! That's all UGA needs!

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our offensive problems can be fixed with a top notch OC and a top notch qb who is mobile. We have a good O line and receivers.

• Options

I agree. Most are advocating for a spread offense but I need to see if lsu can win a NC with it because it didn't work very well for bama against Clemson. In my opinion, uga just need a oc who will play his best players and call plays that make sense.

• Options
    GABirdDAWG69GABirdDAWG69 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

”indicate Smart’s coaching staff has a problem coaching/developing QBs.” I believe this to be true. Fromm’s mechanics were sloppy all season.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll get to see Bama's "air corps offense" without Tua and at least three of their four SEC quality WRs next year in Tuscaloosa. Except for a broken coverage in the NC game, the Dawgs have owned Tua and his SEC WRs!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know it won't happen but let me say that Anthony Edwards would do well to stay for a second year in college BBall, Not just saying this because it would help the Dawgs (which it obviously would) but it would help his game as well.

As for Fields vs Fromm, can we agree that Fields grew and matured greatly from his one season as a Dawg? He got a whole year of college coaching, film study, workouts, training table, game experience. No wonder he is killing it at Ohio St. To bad we aren't getting the benefit of all the experience. AE should consider the same before jumping to the NBA but I know he won't.

As for how Kirby handled the situation, well that is another matter. Kirby was obviously trying to avoid the dreaded QB controversy. If you recall, Kirby rarely gave Fields more than a play at a time. The only time he got to run a series was in mop up duty. He runs and throws better than Fromm ever will, but last year, he didn't have the experience to beat out Jake. Too bad we will never see him in a GA uniform again although he sure looked sharp in that red and black tux at the College Football Awards ceremony.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tired of seeing Georgia fans and sports writers call this offense we run Pro-Style or compare it to CMR

Its neither . We line up in shot-gun every play. We don't have a FB on roster.

We run a finesse offense built odd the QB. The trouble is we have an average QB

• Options

Maybe so but uga need to get back to using mobile/dual threat qbs. They have won 10 sec titles, 2 national championships with mobile/dual threat qbs and only 3 sec titles with pro style qbs. Bama and lsu didn't beat us with their spread offense, they beat us because their qbs could runaway from our defenders. That's what uga qbs use to do to their opponents.