Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Can Georgia coach Kirby Smart, QB Jake Fromm handle monstrous expectations they created?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageCan Georgia coach Kirby Smart, QB Jake Fromm handle monstrous expectations they created?

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has created a monster of expectation with all of his success, and the Bulldogs need Jake Fromm one more year to repeat as East Division champs

Read the full story here

Comments

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart needs more veteran help, both from coaching and from his team player leadership. Its extremely disappointing that so many juniors are declaring for the NFL draft since Smart arrived. We need more senior leadership and veteran coaches to keep this ship afloat. Once a law is passed that forces college athletes to get paid, Georgia will keep more senior players as we have the wallet to afford them.

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just hope Matt Luke doesn't bring that "peeing dog" with him.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper both had Fromm projected as an early second rounder in their mock draft report yesterday. McShay said it's very possible that Fromm goes late first round. He give some legitimate reasons for Jake's drop in production and compares him as an Andy Dalton type qb.

Our QB situation is not in a very good spot if Jake declares. I say that because Mathis missed most all of this years learning opportunity with his unfortunate medical condition which I hope he is clear and free from going forward. I just can't come to grips with Stetson as a starter. I watched Stetson as a high school qb out of Pierce county and he is a good one but I'm not comfortable with his ball protection as a starter.

Beck is not on campus yet and honestly I can not get a great read on how good he really is. I've watched a lot of video on this young man and the potential is there but he still looks a little raw. Is Coley the guy that can coach his progression up to his potential as a qb coach.

I honestly believe the elephant in the room concerning Jake's production regression largely falls on the qb coach. I understand his receivers wasn't creating separation often enough but Jake was missing guys wide open and his throws were more erratic at time this year. I can't exactly put my finger on it but something is not right cohesively between Fromm and Coley.

As for leaders, a true leader is not someone you appoint with a title, it comes from one's actions. They're a lot of intangibles that go into being a great leader. Some of our leaders this year lacked in appropriate actions.

I hope these younger guys make their mark on this program during this Sugar Bowl preparedness and game. I'm looking forward to Zamir and McIntosh putting on a show. I'm convinced McIntosh has the skill set to be one of Georgia's best.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia sells results, not hope." Jake Fromm can go or stay. He has certainly earned that right. Either way, we'll go back to Atlanta next year. What was lacking this year is now irrelevant. Let's handle Baylor and get this party started!

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

While Cook did a silly thing, I'm far more concerned about Pickens and if Kirby is getting desperate and adding immature guys. I mean, I've never heard of a guy getting ejected from a game in which he had already been suspended for the first half. The program has lost some momentum.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really hope Jake stays another year. He’s a DGD!

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I said before the season started that Kirby had to, at least, win the SEC for this year to be a success. I stand by that. The further down the road we go with Kirby, the more I wonder if 2017 wasn't just a fluke year that had to do more with the talent than the coaching. I mean I hate to be brutally honest but it has to be said. I think Kirby is a very good coach.....no doubt about that...yet I don't see Kirby anywhere near that next level.

BTW.....I could be wrong but I don't think Fromm will leave Georgia...if he did I don't think there would be any chance of him being drafted before the 4th

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Jake would prefer to stay and improve his draft status(have a better year) but when he looks at the receivers ,there isn't anything telling him that next season would likely improve his numbers significantly. It is what it is, 2nd round(or later) or bust.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA must make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021 or it will be clear the issue is coaching because the talent is overflowing onto the field and even on the bench. However, I personally am not overly concerned about the number of playoff appearances. Kirby can captain this ship for as many years as he would like. I have been a fan of UGA and our football program since first attending UGA in 1991. I've not been more excited at our football program than I have been under Kirby's tenure. That excitement is reward enough for me. As long as we win the East, I am grateful he is our coach!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You have to be kidding? The actions of one or two players, outliers, is unequivocally not indicative of our program losing "momentum." Be honest, you are a Florida Fan trolling this site.

• DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

Kirby defended Fromm the whole year and blamed the WR's. The fans see the open receivers that Fromm doesn't see, they see the bad throws to open receivers. Elite QB's win you Championships, they "throw receivers open" ( or in Georgia's case they throw the ball where Simmons and DRob stay on their feet in the SECCG). Fromm didn't do that, his mechanics regressed and for someone without Elite arm talent, that's a situation for disaster. No look-offs or pump fakes. Fromm needs to leave so Georgia football can advance.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, this is another excellent article.

When you first arrived I was frankly underwhelmed, but you have become much more of an authority on all things Dawg. Your articles just get better and better. They're well researched, well written, informative ,and interesting.

Maybe you're fooling me, but I'd swear you're becoming a true Dawg Fan.

Thanks for doing such a great job, sir.

Go, Dawgs!

• joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman
    edited December 2019

Take the money Jake. He has probably reached his ceiling & the team is less likely to finish 11-1 next year. Does anyone see UGA beating Clemson or Ohio State next year? Good luck Jake in your pro career.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake’s decision is one of the biggest storylines of the offseason.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As was written: Fromm is conspicuously silent. My old Dawg bones tell me he is seriously looking at his options - NFL possible late pick or another (?) season in the NCAA. But I should think he would support the team in the Sugar Bowl. He knows it would be a disaster for sure if he did not participate. The other two QBs are barely recognizable with limited playing time.

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will be very surprised if Jake doesn't play in the Sugar Bowl. That said, he has a very tough decision to make about turning pro. Most mocks have him as the fifth QB taken. That projects somewhere between late first and late third rounds, depending on team needs. Burrow, Herbert and Hurts are clearly first round. I think Eason might go there. Maybe Love goes before Jake, too. Jake has to measure not only this year's grade, but also next year's class, which will likely include Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and several others. He'll certainly have some new targets at UGA next year, but will there be enough imagination in the offense to highlight his skills and improve his stock? The QB coaching didn't seem to improve him this year. Good luck, Jake, no matter your decision. You'll always be a DGD, and have taken us where we haven't ventured in a LONG time. P.S. Bennett needs a lot of snaps in the Sugar Bowl, regardless of other considerations. Game speed reps is the only way he'll be ready. Go Dawgs!

• diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Griffith

The expectation is not to win the NC every year. Getting paid $6.43 MILLION a year, OR, $17,616.00 a DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES bring high expectations, though, just as all of the upgrades such as an indoor practice facility, new locker-rooms, new recruiting quarters, huge increases in recruiting travel, etc, etc, etc.

When you are given everything & more, you should have to produce. Getting beat each year by a much less inferior team or blown out by a good team is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

TOP $$$ + TOP recruits + average coaches = TOP 10 team

TOP $$$ + TOP recruits + really good coaches = TOP 3 team

TOP $$$ + TOP recruits + great coaches = NC appearance with a 1 in 3 win