Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

REPORT: Georgia offensive lineman Ben Cleveland academically ineligible to play in Sugar Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,564 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageREPORT: Georgia offensive lineman Ben Cleveland academically ineligible to play in Sugar Bowl

Georgia football offensive lineman Ben Cleveland will not play in the Sugar Bowl on account of academic issues, per a report by 247Sports

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel bad for Big Ben, it must be terribly embarrassing for him and his family. This failure is his along with our entire academic support team.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought it was supposed to be Pickens who had the academic trouble. Wow, three starters off the O-Line missing in the bowl game. There's depth there, but my goodness. Baylor's defense is pretty good, too. This is not good. I hope Cleveland gets things squared away in time for fall. If he can't play in the bowl game he's likely out for Spring practice, too.

And I disagree @ftworthdawg , that the academic support team is at fault. At the end of the day, getting your schoolwork done lies with you. all the tutoring and counseling and study aids won't do a thing if the student himself isn't willing to buckle down and do the work. If Ben is ineligible, the fault is 100 percent his. I mean, it's rare for a scholarship athlete at UGA to fall behind academically and I know for a fact that they ain't all been Rhodes Scholars.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like a case of priority confusion here (hunting and etc.) instead of taking care of what is really important.... I hope this is a lesson that everyone on the team learns... You are a STUDENT first, ATHLETE second.... Don't put selfish ambitions that have a risk of jeopardizing your teams goals. It is a privilege to be a student-athlete because these days you are pretty much treated as royalty and everything is handed to you by your support staff. In my opinion as a fan and a former student athlete, this is a selfish act!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The more this season and now off season progress it becomes more and more clear to me that some of these Bulldogs appear to have lost focus along the way. I believe the OL may have listened to the hype a little to much, the receivers believed the meme that they just weren't good enough, Jake Fromm lost his focus. The coaching staff appears to have lost a little control over this bunch. Let's hope the next bunch of stars let this bit of a let down along the tail end of the year as a motivator to climb back among the elite.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep your head up and take care of your business big Dawg.

GO DAWGS!

BEAT BAYLOR!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry to hear about Big Ben, but he really hasn't been that dominate this year. He never has been able to lock down a starting position on the line. I didn't realize that Shaffer had been ruled out for the season, that is not good news. Neck injuries can be career threatening. I wonder if this has contributed to the number of OL prospects that we have recruited for this year (on top of the two declaring for the draft). The coaches always know more than us fans on the outside looking in. I think Coach Luke is going to fit right in and coach these players up. I hope we can keep him 2-3 years before he gets another head coaching job.

• Options
    Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

We'll I'm not gonna sugar coat this. It sux buttermilk! How does this happen now a days? The players have all manner of academic support for them to keep up and on track to graduate .

I know back in the day (1970's) it wasn't uncommon for certain schools to be labled "football factories". Not casting shade on UGA.

Hope he gets his gradesin order for next yr. Also use the time to get healthy. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just more bad news.

• Options
    OKDAWG64OKDAWG64 Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

This does ****. Playing in the Sugar Bowl without both starting tackles and one of their top backups is going to be tough to overcome. We're about to find out just how deep our line is.

And, nice to see DallasDawg and ftworthdawg on the post. It's a bit lonely being a Dawgs fan in this part of the country (I'm in Oklahoma City).

Go Dawgs!!