Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay strongly defends UGA QB Jake Fromm

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay strongly defends UGA QB Jake Fromm

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay strongly defended UGA quarterback Jake Fromm earlier this week. McShay was a guest on The Ryen Russillo Podcast of The Ringer: “Everyone that I talked to is like, ‘he (Fromm) needs to go back to school. You know, he really regressed this year,' “Like, you know what? Do me a favor

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

I have to disagree with that....."He had no support" C'est Vrai...no Doubt....But I saw too many passes flying over people's heads, behind them, knocked down at the line of scrimmage......And he made some average secondaries look elite.....All I can say is if Fromm wants to be drafted in rounds 4+...then he needs to come out now

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have went back and rewatched half a dozen of the games.

1) you’re correct, didn’t have much talent to throw to.

2) he got into his own head when things went south in games ( missed throws, dropped passes.) and let one mistake perpetuate into lots of mistakes, rewatch the 2 losses and the watch the Florida game. You’ll see the difference.

3) Foot work and follow through were really bad this yr, often times throwing flat footed or off his back foot, leading to inaccurate throws. Also here again, the Florida game vs the 2 losses and you’ll see.

4) I am convinced Swift has been dealing with something since TAMU. He never hit thy Swift-gear since. Sub par running game leads to more pressure on passing and so the snow ball goes.

these are just the few things I saw. I can’t see him returning hurting his stock, only helping. The young man is 3-0 against Florida and Tennessee and for this we are eternally grateful.

go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm is gone for all intents and purposes...take a look at this: UGA signee Carson Beck...he is 6'4" 225 lbs...very athletic! I posted this on another DN section as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOztW5_VR1s

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went back and looked at a lot of the offensive pass plays in slow motion just to see who was open and who wasn't and who the pass actually went to. Happened to see many plays where at least one receiver is running open by at least 7-10 yards and Jake threw elsewhere, usually to someone a lot more covered. Now those plays may have never been designed to go to those wide open receivers-LOL. But I did think that you go through your progression to find the more open guy.

You think Jake is "pretty good" and he is and then you watch someone like Joe Burrow in the same game and compared to Joe, Jake looks pretty pedestrian. Joe Burrow is a guy you want if you are an NFL team. I don't think there are many teams saying I hope we get that Jake Fromm guy. Jake's a great guy and I wish him the best whatever he does.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt seriously anyone can name a QB, pro or college, who would have performed any better than Fromm this year under similar circumstances. Certainly not Fields, Burrows, Lawrence or Tua......and definitely not Brady or Brees. In fact, Brady has been at best mediocre this year without Gronk. I’ve never seen a situation where a QB lost 4 great receivers to graduation, had his #5 receiver kicked off the team, then lost his #6, #8 and #9 receivers to injury while #7 was suspended. In the meantime, Fromm was without the services of his #1RB who is also a good receiver. That basically means he was down to his 11th best target in a period of 10 months. QBs have to establish timing with receivers and have confidence they can make the big plays. These aren’t just excuses, they are absolute facts. Imagine Justin Fields in a game without any receivers or running backs. He would panic and try to run every play. I wish everyone would quit blaming Fromm because it WAS NOT his fault. By the way, despite all the things I mentioned above, Fromm still had a much better junior season than a guy named Joe Burrow who this time last year almost every LSU fan wanted to run out of town. Go Dawgs and Go Fromm!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeh, Jake was better than anyone.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake's character and leadership skills have never been in doubt. His arm strength is what it is and hasn't regressed.

His footwork, however, has. Jake has been throwing off his back foot all year. He seemed much more fundamentally sound in his first two years.

And for a guy who gets so much credit for what he does "before the snap", he sure does seem to be surprised by the blitz quite often, for example the play in which he was injured in the SECCG.

I love Jake and I hope he stays to play one more year between the hedges.

I also hope he stops throwing off his back foot, stops spinning the ball in his hand before passing, and I REALLY, REALLY hope next year we have an OC who doesn't call plays that incorporate the "read option" with Fromm, who is only marginally more of a threat to run than my great-grandmother.

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have seen what Jake can do the last 2 years. It's not Jake. I blame coaching--QB coaching, route design, route running, lack of timing passes, getting players comfortable with offense in general, formations that put us at a numbers disadvantage or tip off what we are doing, etc.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two ways to look at it, one is to hope Fromm moves on and close the book on a season that was in a lot of ways disappointing. Two, Fromm comes back to try and finish what he started. Personally I hope he comes back and goes down as one of our greatest QB's ever.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake definitely has not "REGRESSED". Anyone that says otherwise simply does not understand football or athletes that are the caliber of a Jake Fromm. Joe Burrow would not have won the Heisman this year had you had the same receiving corp. and injuries at that position that Jake has endured. Please, all the mouth breathers out there, don't show your ignorance by trying to claim Jake has regressed. Also, statistics rarely tell the whole story.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bye Fromm Hello Beck and deep on target passes the end!!!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

What Jake didn’t have this season that he had in past years was the playmaker receiver that made him look good. His Freshman season, Javon Wimms was catching everything thrown in his direction. As a Junior he had multiple guys with Godwin, Ridley, Holliman (sp?), and others we have talked about ad nauseum. I venture to say those guys made Fromm look better than he did this year for sure. Cager tried to be that go to guy but couldn’t stay on the field. Tyler Simmons season can be nothing but a disappointment for him and the team. Getting injured early in the season really held him back. Not sure what happened to the WR signees from ‘17 as they were passed by the 2018 recruits. Besides not being able to catch that well, the WR’s didn’t block that well as a group either, which contributed to the lack of explosive plays in the running game. That’s enough.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Obviously I meant Sophomore season below, because his Junior season was a tough slog. I think Fromm comes back because he is a DGD and he has unfinished business to attend to. Much like Chubb and Michel came back for their senior seasons and took us all the way to the NC game, Fromm needs to come back and finally win that Natty for GA. If Jake can accomplish that, he will be set for the rest of his life. The team should be loaded with 5*’s all over the place. He will have two RB’s coming back and a couple of freshmen studs to tote the rock. Pickens will be another year older with a new crop of highly rated recruits to throw to. The defense is going to be stout again. Also the schedule should set up well for another run to Atlanta and the SECCG. Jake has one more season that, with a few breaks, can last the rest of his life. The NFL will still be there a year from now but the chance to compete for a NC only comes next year. Obviously there are no guarantees and nothing is promised to him or us. But this is his last opportunity to be a Bulldog legend. I hope it is not too heavy a burden for him to carry but I fully expect him to try.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake is what he is.

A field general who limits mistakes

He has a chance for a solid lifetime in the NFL much like what David Green had about a decade ago as a back-up

Green might of had a lil more arm and ability to throw deeper passes and push the ball down field but other than that they are very similar

His up-side is very limited what you see today is about what you will have next season or 5 seasons from now …… Money wise I would think Fromm would be smart to go this season , He would probably be the 5th QB taken. I don't think another season and the strong QB class next year will help him rise any he might even slip down the list

Size , lack of a QB coach that pushes him to keep his elbow tucked into his side and his delivery over-handed instead of 3/4 arm or side arm , lack of an OC with any kind of real system (CKS wants recruiters not Xs and Os coaches) , Average to low arm strength , low pocket awareness or ability to move inside the pocket (he is a better athlete than he shows or is given credit for) , and honestly his decision making is lacking. (he checked us to runs that were straight into run blitz's a dozen times last season and yes he makes good decisions to limit turn-overs going with the check down WR or the guy 7 yards out in the flats but he misses countless deep options that at times have been wide open

I think Mcshay (the Mel kipper wanna be) is like CKS and many UGA fans and has a man crush on Fromm …. that being said I am betting without looking that McShay has Fromm 5th at best this season and even lower looking at next season QB crop

• Options
    SandyOnTheFlintSandyOnTheFlint Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I agree with McShay. If Cager stays healthy and or Tyler Simmons makes the catch in the SC game and the SEC Championship game, we go undefeated and would have had a much better chance with LSU. If #87 catches that first bomb in the SEC game the whole complexion of the game changes! We had almost no one that could consistently catch the ball at WR other than Cager.