Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Kirby Smart downplays Georgia players missing Sugar Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: Kirby Smart downplays Georgia players missing Sugar Bowl

Georgia coach Kirby Smart downplayed Bulldogs' players missing the Sugar Bowl, explaining that each absence has its own set of circumstances

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Turn the young pups loose

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's make this one happy new year...UGA!!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

I support all these players in their decisions, but....I hope in the future that permanent captains are chosen AFTER the season ( including bowl game if not in the playoffs ). I have some of the same feelings as some of our former players about this subject. Unfortunately, it is the world in which we now live. I, like always, will be thrilled if the Dawgs give their best in the game, win or lose. Fortunately, there have been very few times in my many years of being a fan when I wondered if the team just didn't give their all. I guess I wish there was a way to have adequate financial insurance against injury for all the players on all teams. For me ( and I hope that I am just being "old school" and not selfish ), not finishing with your team takes a little shine off the "elite" label. Makes me feel that loyalty to team and fans isn't as important as it once seemed to be. Guess I am just getting old!

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

I will never accept a player who does not finish a season regardless of the reason! They are quitter plain and simple. It says the game does not mean anything and the team is not worthy of the risk of them playing. Not good!!

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach should preach, every year, so the young guys know..... THE SEASON IS OVER AFTER THE LAST GAME HAS BEEN PLAYED...Period. Every player has gained a reputation, education, publicity, because of the program, the school, the fans and alumni who have contributed to their success... The players should FINISH THE SEASON. Exceptions are only injury.... Academics failure should result in tuition payback...or other penalty, if failing the team committed. Failed drug tests will be specified for reasons not playing.. (which prob does not matter to NFL)

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Literally millions of dollars on the line for some of the best players who come from poor families many times. It's their way to help themselves and their families(get out of poverty) and the NFL can be a cruel business. Get a Achilles injury or a blown knee and watch all those hopes and dreams possibly go bye-bye. Don't think for a minute the NFL has any obligation to offer you a dime if you're damaged goods. I don't like kids missing, especially for grades, or bad attitudes(failed drug tests), but I can't judge the ones who are just looking out for their dreams.

• Options

NO.....They understood that when they signed.....and it should be reiterated every year...You are not being educated for nothing, food costs are expensive, housing is not free, work-out facilities cost money to maintain,,,, AND YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY, (if the bills have been provided by the program)....... which have been provided by the fans/ alumni

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI ONLY ---The major sports news tonight on my 1-phone reads UGA could be missing 13 regulars for the Sugar Bowl!!!! The writer did not paint a very rosy picture for tomorrow's outcome against Baylor!! Are other top teams losing so many players? Many are questioning why is Georgia's attrition so great....it cheapens the Sugar Bowl? Others say if UGA loses big they have an excuse this year. It is puzzling. Lots of flux at UGA. Smart would like to move on but the media will not let go of this one.

IMO loyalty at Georgia may need to be addressed. The NFL has a strangle hold on NCAA football. Few top prospects finish the four year degree program. Many refuse to play in the bowl games. It is all about development for the NFL and draft status ....sad but true. Follow the $$$$$.

Hope the "Puppies" have a decent game.

• Options

Just as is in your own household,,,,,,If you allow bad habits and patterns,,(even with the kids) ,they will will continue and will be harder to stop, ,than if they never started to begin with.... Stop the pattern before it starts,,,,make no exception rules and stick to it!!.... Players play,, and go all out for the team, their brothers,,,go to war for them,,,,. It's not about YOU,,, you do it for the other guys.... your reputation.....For that, you will rewarded in you own soul for doing the right thing.,,,regardless of the outcome. Most all times you you will be proud of yourself, be happy with the decision, and forever will look back and be glad it it was done that way without regrets........I' ll shut up after this post, and stay silent

• Options

HAPPY NEW YEARS Dawg 's fans. Eat some collard greens, black-eyed peas, corn bread and pork meat for good luck, and cheer on the DAWGS and hope no work on the next day early...I love them dawgs, and the guys here,,,,,

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the NFL cared about college ball, which they don't, then they'd move the NFL draft back to the end of November. That way, players could finish their season without fear of an injury affecting their stock.

• Options
    GoDawgs123456GoDawgs123456 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Derrick Brown and rest of Auburn players playing. Anyone out for Baylor? Sad.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"NO.....They understood that when they signed.....and it should be reiterated every year...You are not being educated for nothing, food costs are expensive, housing is not free, work-out facilities cost money "

Get real, These football programs bring in millions and millions of dollars for the school. It's a cash cow. Coaches making 7-8 millions dollars a year. And you want a kid who maybe grew up in poverty to risk providing for himself and his family for the rest of their lives, and why? So you can have a better chance of your team winning a meaningless bowl game? Amazing.

Is the school going to guarantee their futures if they get hurt? No! What would YOU do in real life? Protect your family's potential livelihood or play in one more game? What would you want your son to do?

How many coaches recruit guys knowing they're not going to be there to coach them? Where is the commitment of the coaches to see their commitments through to these young men and forgo the almighty dollar?