Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart's Sugar Bowl statement wins keeps Georgia among college football elite

SystemSystem Posts: 10,551 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart's Sugar Bowl statement wins keeps Georgia among college football elite

Georgia football made a statement with its 26-14 Sugar Bowl win that it belongs among college football's group of elite programs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did more with less is the scope many people don’t fully grasp the difficulty of at this level in this conference and with that many top 15 or 20 ranked opponents that Georgia beat this year.

Sure the OT loss in the South Carolina game is a huge disappointment and underachievement for this team. Would have loved to had a better outcome against LSU but the Tigers may be the best team I’ve seen in a long time. That is still yet to be proven because they have to finish but Georgia did better than many people probably suspected after last years Sugar.

A very stout bowl performance this year with the players that were left but I’m still very hesitant about next years expectations because there was still a lot of key players on that field that may not be here next spring. Thank you to all those that will be leaving but stayed to finish the drill with the future Dawgs.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We know who skipped the bowl to prepare for the draft. We know who was injured. We know that Cleveland's dad confirmed his academic ineligibility. WHO DID DRUGS? Is it all the players who were reported "undisclosed" on this and other sites and even in Griffith's previous posts? Does Griffith have some inside knowledge about failed drug tests? My guess is not no, but HELL NO!

I can't recall one time Kirby has given Mike Griffith an exclusive quote, much less an exclusive interview. Griffith's lack of professionalism and willingness to slander the very players he covers in order to produce comments and clicks which is what produces income for the AJC, has to be the reason he is relegated to rehashing the same garbage post after post.

Towers was promoted within the AJC. Emerson went to The Athletic where people actually pay to read his insights about UGA sports. Griffith is going nowhere unless it's a demotion back to Knoxville. If his "reporting" wasn't free, nobody in their right mind would bother!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still a prevalent drug culture at UGA? If so, (there definitely has been in the past) I don't understand the kids that sacrifice so much of their time, energy, and dedication to the game of football and the discipline that goes with all of that but in the area of smoking weed, they can't leave it alone. Amazing.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look, CKS has done a fantastic job recruiting and beating some Top teams. The game against Baylor was stellar, especially considering the starters who were out. I'm proud of my Dawgs but want to see us move to the next level.

Kirby said he's not satisfied with the results and neither am I.

Kirby is 0-2 against Bama and LSU, and until we can consistently win against those type of teams then we've got work to do. We've got our next day of reckoning and chance for redemption the 3rd week of September in Tuscaloosa. We MUST win that game.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm glad Matt Luke is part of this football team.

P.S. Jalen Carter is a BEAST!

• Options
    MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

The only thing this exhibition proved was that Georgia's 2nd string was better than the best team Baylor ever had.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"And, as Freshman of the Year Semifinalist Azeez Ojulari said, 'it’s like a new team. ' " It is practically speaking a new team. Enhance it with the cadre of new high-star recruits and UGA will again be a team to be reckoned with....This time the SECCG!! At least. Our wounded team, as Griffith calls it, beat Baylor's best. Thanks mainly to coaches Smart, Luke and Coley!!!

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wednesday night's victory was a great one by any standard or measure. Hats off to the Dawgs!. And while I, too, wish we knew the names of those kids who had failed drug tests and academics, I'm not going to bash the writer of the article for that. My assumption is that he probably knows who those kids are "unofficially" but because that information is supposedly "protected," he can't reveal their names without outing his source. I still would rather know that some kids missed the game because of failed drug tests than just think they were lazy or whatever. Instead, my ire is at BOTH the ones who didn't take care of business in the classroom as well as those who used drugs. Both share blame for not being accountable. Yes, college courses can be difficult -- I failed one at UGA myself. But it was my fault and my fault alone. Same with those using drugs. You may not agree with the rules or the law, but they're STILL the rules and the law and they should be followed. But beyond all of that, there's something that Kirby said in his post-game remarks (apparently) about what's holding back UGA from greatness. Here's the quote:

"To be honest with you, the future is only bright if those guys continue to work because there's a disease that creeps in at Georgia where kids believe they're better than they are and they read their own press clippings," he (Smart) told reporters.

Smart made the remark in response to a question about how key contributions from two freshmen, running back Zamir White and wide receiver George Pickens, could set the team up for future success.

That word "disease" is pretty strong. Kirby realizes that there is some sort of malaise that sets in with many players at Georgia after they arrive and have some success. They get written about or win some accolades and all of a sudden, they stop striving to be the best. Smart even alluded to it elsewhere in the same article. He said this:

"Those kids that you just mentioned are tremendous players. But they'll only be as good as they can be if they stay as hungry as they are. When they're not hungry, you become average. Some of that, I think, has affected us in the past."

I'm glad CKS recognizes that as good as his squads have been since his arrival, that they can be better if they will put forth that inner drive. I think that right now, THAT is what separates us from the levels of consistency we see with an Alabama or a Clemson. We have the talent. Now the question is, do we have the hunger. I hope we do! Go Dawgs

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lowcountry, I think he meant 0-2 against each. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll add one more name UGA66 and that is DC Dan Lanning. This guy is making a name for himself and doing it rather quickly. If he has aspirations to be a head coach, we may only have a few or even couple of years with him on the sidelines. He was missing some big names as well but due to stellar recruiting, got some young guys ready to start and play exceptionally well. Congrats and great job to the whole coaching staff and to CKS for the leadership. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kept seeing a Carter showing up on the D line and wondering, who IS that? Then it hit me, and I was instantly impressed. I knew signees were allowed to practice, but I didn't realize they were able to actually play in these games.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Griffith has got people talking about players doing drugs and a "drug culture" at UGA as if it is fact. The week leading up to the Sugar Bowl, he made several posts claiming drugs were the reason some players were left behind within the text of his posts yet in the same posts listed the players as "undiclosed".

A good journalist identifies information that comes from "undisclosed" sources as such. Griffith is a dishonest hack that states his assumptions as fact producing a negative illusion about UGA football within the UGA fanbase which by extention could affect recruiting. Griffith's lack of professionalism deserves to be called out! He certainly makes me miss Emerson and Towers!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ShoottheHooch

Since you quoted "drug culture". I assume you're referring to my post below since I read everyone else's and couldn't find those words used by anyone else, maybe I missed it.

I think you need to read my post just a little bit closer, if you are quoting me. You say," Griffith has got people talking about players doing drugs and a "drug culture" at UGA as if it is fact."

This is what I wrote, "Still a prevalent drug culture at UGA? If so,........

Do you see the question mark? And the following "if so?"

How the hell is that talking about it as "if it's a fact?" To use your quote. If you are referring to this then you either don't read very well or you're just twisting my words to build a straw man argument against Griffith.

Please don't misquote me to further your rage against Griffith.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ Lowcountry...

Yes, and I meant CKS is 0-2 against Bama and 0-2 against LSU. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Basically, both teams OWN us, and we've got to CONSISTENTLY win against those other top teams in the SEC to be considered 'elite' in the SEC or nationwide. Especially considering how weak the SEC East is and has been for years....although it's gradually getting somewhat better.