Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A timeline of events regarding Zach Evans, his recruitment and Georgia football

2»

Comments

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawg365, and correct me if I'm wrong, do we have a confirmed LOI from Mr. Evans at UGA?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to wait.....the answers are forthcoming as we will soon see. I believe he had an LOI..but did he sign it? UGA will have to let him out of it if he did sign it as I see it or he cannot "communicate" with other schools. Why keep a kid on who doesn't want to play for your program?

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

As this mess squarely falls on the shoulders of Evans, UGA has to take a little responsibility. UGA took this commitment all the way to the 11th hour and then they pull out at the last minute. Evans' character flaws were already known and should have been expected to continue to some degree. Yet we still hung in there with this kid and as a result probably lost out on Tank or another great RB. We'll be fine but before we completely bash this kid, I think we could have maybe handled this whole process a little better. I trust Kirby and he's a great recruiter, but....

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What I read into this is Evans took the ACT (probably for a second or third time) because he needed a better score to qualify. Why else would the kid miss the first half of a semifinal playoff game? He assumed he'd get the score he needed, signed his LOI with UGA and then found out before the All America game he didn't get it. Kirby took a gamble that the kid would qualify (what coach wouldn't?) and now everything is up in the air. Perhaps LSU or Texas A&M have less rigid entrance requirements and he'll end up there. Who knows at this point? Wouldn't be surprised if he goes the JUCO route. Or he might have to take the ACT again and see if he get's the needed score before February 5th. No need to crucify the kid IMO.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Zonadawg, there is definitely an academic concern. He only needed a bare “minimum” qualifying score which is unlike the vast majority of kids where they are taking the ACT/SAT to get higher scores to gain admission into elite schools like UGA. Throw in there the multiple behavior violations and I have major concerns. There are very few high school coaches who would suspend the #1 running back in the country 3 games in a season including the state championship. The team violations had to be light years bigger than just using his cell phone. This looks like a kid who has way too much baggage and will be poison in a locker room. We need great team players.....we don’t need great disrupters. By the way, where was his loyalty to his teammates and his school when he continually broke the rules?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI Only......I peaked at the LSU and BAMA boards and LSU fan(s) don't seem to want Evans with all his baggage either. BAMA mixed. One LSU fan was very denigrating of UGA..said we would back a pervert who put semen in a drink and yet would not take Evans. Both their sites headline UGA denying Evans' LOI.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Evans is the truth !

• Options
    Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sadly we may never fully know the answer/truth regarding his suspension from the title game. Find it hard to believe it was over a phone.

As for grades, well it happens. These young men are told numerous times from jump they'll need a minimum score (SAT/ACT) plus the NCAA has a minimum GPA the athletes must attain otherwise they don't qualify.

The young man may very well have issues that aren't public knowledge as it were. Not saying he's "mental". Hell all of us have demons. It's how we address/handle them that allows us to function. Or not. It may be he doesn't have a stable environment and thus there's no one giving him proper advice and guidance on how best to navigate the path, his football talent has taken him thus far. At some point, carryin a football only gets you so far. Then it's what is up stairs that must kick in if you slip up an find you're goin down a road best not travelled. I will pray for the kid that he allows the Lord to help clear up the mess he finds himself entangled in. Like I said, this is much more than a cell phone issue. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

There are only a few reasons why this would happen. Failed academics, recruiting issue leading to ineligibility, alleged abuse, especially sexual abuse, major criminal activity involving guns or drugs. I hope I am wrong for his sake.

• Options
    MOSSMAN93MOSSMAN93 Posts: 44 ✭✭ Sophomore

If Conner could spell and write a coherent sentence without grammatical errors, I could probably understand half of the article. And it seems to be getting worse with every article.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's funny how there are a million posts about Evans pre-release but not a single beep after about why. UGA just released the #1 running back recruit in the nation. Nothing to see here.