Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Jake Fromm is the embodiment of modern Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhy Jake Fromm is the embodiment of modern Georgia football

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Why Jake Fromm is the embodiment of modern Georgia football Now that his college career has come to an end, it's

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sure wish we had Plumlee right now.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't miss Plumlee. Running is his primary skill. I want a good passer who can run if he has to. I really don't care for designed runs for my QB. We'll see what Beck and Mathis can do or according to Pollock, the kid from Wake Forrest.

Other than the Herschel years, Jake has presided over the greatest run in Georgia history. I hope he and his family are proud!

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

A great reg season record at QB but we really won nothing with Jake of substance. A couple of good bowl wins (rose, sugar) and an sec championship that if you think about it was really negated by losing in the NC to an SEC team (Alabama). Great when he had a stable of elite playmakers around him, woefully less than stellar when he didn't. Even his supposed best asset of getting us in the right play was lacking toward the end of the season when he audibled to runs that went right into the teeth of a blitz (Remember Swift getting upset at him, anyone).

Jake Fromm had a chance to be the greatest player next to Herschel in the history of Georgia Football. He traded that in to be a mid round pick. I wish him the best of luck but I wouldn't put him ahead of Greene or Murray or Belue or maybe even Shockley and I definitely wouldn't have taken him over Fields, who will probably go on to win the Heisman next year.

The Fromm years at Georgia will be remembered for being close but not close enough and a case for what could have been. With him had he come back or with Fields had Kirby not run him out with blind loyalty to Jake.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking forward to see what Fromm does in the combines....Right now I don't see him going any higher than the 4th round

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake was the perfect QB for a coach that was beginning his head coaching career. Even the greatest head coaches of all time didn't begin their careers with 13, 11 and 12 win seasons three of their first four years. Many in Dawg Nation doubted Jake and were loud in their detraction. Even the coaches doubted Fromm in 2018. One thing is absolute: Jake, not for one minute, ever doubted Jake!

There are NFL all-time great QBs of every size and skill set. One thing they had in common, from Tarkenton to Brady, is that the great ones never doubt themselves. That is why Jake is ready for his next chapter! Once again, Jake's detractors are WRONG! Give 'em hell, Jake and thank you for three DGD years!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake is history....a great guy and good former QB but UGA needs to get with the program and usher in a transfer....football is progressive...constant flux....to succeed you must advance with it. Costello and Newman...couple of starters...with some training. Kirby...get one of them and keep up the UGA momentum in 2020. Let's go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What "elite" QB hasn't had great RB's, WR's, and O-Line? Without those, ANY QB is average. Ask any QB, and you'll get the same response.

• Options

Who cares what Jake does at the combines? If Drew Brees went to the combines this year, his skill set rating probably wouldn't be much better than Jake's.

Still, you've got Jake two rounds better than Tom Brady. It's not where you start, it's where you finish.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Although I'm very disappointed and surprised that Jake is leaving, I wish him nothing but the best. He was always an incredible ambassador for the University of Georgia, and one of the biggest winners in the history of the program.

I got a little emotional yesterday when I heard he was leaving but with 20 hours or so to digest it, and even though he'll never read this, I'm proud of him and thankful for all he did for my beloved dawgs.

• Options

So, Kirby was supposed to show "blind loyalty" to Fields the year after Jake led us to within a busted coverage of a national champioship? Insanity!

You would rate Fromm behind Belue who threw one memorable pass and jokes about making a career out of handing the ball to Walker? Insan...never mind. You know!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great guy. Average QB.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

You act like he won 35 games by passing for 300 yards and throwing 4 touchdowns a game. Jake was great at taking care of the ball, except for the few games that he wasn't. Great kid. The Mark Richt of QBs. If you're happy with winning a horrible SEC east for three years, we have a different set of standards. Yes, we are at the point where only a championship matters. We have waited for 40 years. So close so many times no longer matters. SEC east isn't enough. With the resources and talent we have it will be a disappointment until they get to the mountain top. Top 3 recruiting classes, state of the art facilities. Geography location that kids love. Come on. Until we win a championship, we will always be underperforming. I bet you Kirby would tell you the same thing. Forget "Do More" how bout "Win Now".

• Options
    hiawasseedawg2020hiawasseedawg2020 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

ONE POINT EVERYONE SEEMS TO OVERLOOK IS THAT TWO OF THE PICKS IN THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAME CAME OFF OF MISSED CATCHES FROM RECEIVERS HANDS .

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm had a good career @uga but he needed Sony Michel and Nick Chubb as much as Belue needed HW and had it not been for Buck Belue's mobility particularly against the gators, Dan Marino and his Panthers would have played for the national championship instead of uga. I watch the dawgs play during coach Dooley's era and he did quite well with the mobile/dual threat QBs and the program's record speaks for itself:

UGA Mobile/Dual Threat QBs won 2 national championships and 8 sec titles

UGA Pro Style QBs only won 4 sec titles.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, Dooley presented the mobile dual threat quite effectively. I too was around to watch Dooley during his early days at UGA. Dooley liked scramblers and throw-on-run. He also relied on RBs to close up front lines. I believe we are returning to that style. It offers more options. Heisman winner Herschel Walker took much of the game away from Buck Belue as he was UGA's go-to back with phenomenal success. Buck against Notre Dame proved that. Kirby does not have that luxury...yet.The new "look" at Georgia materializing will enhance the offense overall and open it up as LSU amd BAMA have done. Clemson as well. To accomplish this..UGA must persent a formidable dual style QB! Georgia's defense will not win the same games in 2020 it did in 2019. IMO.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And wasn't another one thrown to a receiver who ran the wrong route?

There were a lot of things that went wrong during that game, but aside from the interceptions and the fumble (was that Hill's fault...seems like it happened multiple times last year), I think we racked up over 500 yds of total offense.