Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mind Game: Georgia QB D'Wan Mathis overcoming brain surgery, eager to compete

SystemSystem Posts: 10,441 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageMind Game: Georgia QB D'Wan Mathis overcoming brain surgery, eager to compete

Georgia quarterback D'Wan Mathis overcoming life-threatening brain surgery, eager for spring workouts, medical clearance

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm pulling for D'Wan. After going through all he has, he really is like a new, more mature young man. I want the best available player to run the offense, and if that is D'Wan, it would be a great story...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the update! We really hadn't heard that much from him and it being such a strange "injury", I was unclear whether he would every be able to play football again. Sounds like he has a new lease on life and is ready to push hard. I look forward to seeing him play in the G Day game.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

Glad to finally get some news on him. Was very excited to get him as a Dawg.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

I wonder, even though they aren't supposed to get hit, would they allow him to play? Especially since he won't be cleared for contact until may. You'd think they wouldn't want to risk and accidental take down, or him even losing balance and falling somehow. It's a lot to be scared of when you consider it was something with his brain.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

The thing that stands out here: "contemplated leaving UGA"........I've heard way....WAY too much of that in the last three months....I don't like it and I'm wondering what is going on.....

In any case...I like Mathis....I have been concerned that the surgery took a full year to recover from....but if he is ready to go them let's start......My concern is he is too thin at 6'6"...I would like to see him add 30-40 pounds

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can totally understand why he might have considered leaving UGA. I don't think it would have been to go play at another program; it would have been to leave football behind all together.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pulling for you D’Wan. Keep focused on where you want to go. All of Dawgnation is behind you!

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every athlete should have a plan of action based on their sport being taken away immediately. Focus on the free degree, although many male teenagers may have trouble with a long-term viewpoint.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

D'Wan characterizes the type of player that matures into the game after tragedy...a real gift. His dad also could see this potential and encouraged him to remain at UGA. If all progresses, he will be a solid QB with speed and physical dexterity, plus the positive mental attitude needed to succeed. We wish him well!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sorry we are losing Fromm, but one thing I won't miss is our INSANE insistence on running the "read option" with him. I'm not sure if he kept the football once this year, but dangit, or offensive coaches were CERTAIN that the threat of Fromm and his 5.4- 40 time kept the defense on their heels.

Oh look, there's another 2-yard run by Swift as all 11 defenders converge on him while Jake pretends to keep it.

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

So you want him at 250? I guess you don't want him running and for him to be a statue in the pocket. You sir have no sense.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good story... Pulling for D'wan!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's easy to pull for D'wan because of all he's been through.

That being said, all the arm strength in the world is of little use if the ball is not delivered where the receiver can catch it but the defender can't. If accuracy is a problem, until it is not a problem, D'Wan is not a dual threat QB, he's a running QB. There's a difference that few recognize or don't talk about since running QBs are automatically considered dual threat.

Good luck to D'wan and I hope he is putting this non-contact period to good use and eliminating the accuracy issue. There will never be a shortage of runners at RBU! We have to have an accurate passer and if he can run that's the cherry on top.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck Mr Mathis..GoDAWGS!

• Options

Exactly, a degree is much more important than a game. 1 play is all it takes to end a football career. With a degree, you have a safety net if that happens. Without that degree, it's not so easy in the real world.

• Options

Wondering the same thing.. 1 helmet to helmet hit could possibly be a lethal hit. Good question if the NCAA is as concerned about concussions as they claim to be.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think people will be surprised by Stetson Bennett in the spring game. I watched him 3 years in high school and have followed him. He can scramble and throw on the run. Do not mistake his size he can throw deep. If we bring someone else in or he gets beat out I'm all for it, just don't count Bennett out yet.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These rookie QBs that have been sitting on the sidelines - Beck, Bennett, Mathis - are ALL eager to compete. Bring in a grad transfer, and Kirby has got (4) guys hustling for the job. If we can't find our next starting QB in that field then we've got a problem.

Egads...people need to stop panicking about Fromm leaving. He's gone. Get over it. And honestly he would have done better and probably thrived more under a different offensive scheme. Just like Fields - who came in as a greenhorn to OSU and is now thriving under their system. Fields had little experience other than a hand full of plays with the Dawgs. And look at him a year later.

The same kind of results can happen with any of our current QB prospects. It all depends on coaching, player development, and how well our offensive style fits with each QB. Have faith. All these guys will be competing in the Spring.

GO DAWGS!