Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck: Can he be the guy to replace Jake Fromm at Georgia?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageCarson Beck: Can he be the guy to replace Jake Fromm at Georgia?

Georgia is pursuing a graduate transfer option, but what could the program already have on campus in Carson Beck? DawgNation explores whether or not Beck could be ready to start as a freshman.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I like Beck a lot! The picture of them together makes Beck look more than the 2" listed difference in their heights (6'-4" vs 6'-2" for Fromm, right?).

Personally, I'd love to see Beck in the 11 jersey!

I like Mathis too.

Since Fromm is gone (man, that hurts to type), I think they need an older mentor. Was thinking it might could be Newman...he would only have 1 year of eligibility.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good article! Let's focus on the future!

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not worried about the QB position. I think this kid is going to do great. I can't wait to see him play next fall.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Jeff! Thanks for all the background info on Beck. Sounds like a promising recruit to add to those other promising QB recruits. It will be fun to watch the competition, especially with so many quality WRs in the mix in 2020.

The Dawgs will be fine, and I expect next season's goal for Kirby will NOT change from this year. There's no real reason other than excuses to not get to the next level. Get to the playoffs!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only reason that Newman would accept "backup" was a really good shot at a NC. If he's not willing to accept the possibility of being a backup, I don't think we get any of the top qb transfers.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Loved the article !

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From day one I've liked Carson. He is almost 6'5" actually. Much taller than Fromm. A tad shorter than Mathis. Sling shot arm. Raw. Needs some coaching, strengthening. SEC style stuff. He has Fromm's football mind. Smart. Exceptional leader! Newman has only one year eligibility...so he likely would sign on only if he can start. Carson would bow to that and learn. IMO. But Carson may well earn the start role anyway. Interesting to watch what transpires.

• Options

I didn't mean to imply that Newman would be the backup. With his experience, I would figure that he would be the starter.

I wonder if we even have a shot with him, as Oregon is one of his choices.

• Options

If he has Fromm's football mind then I like him even more...based on the article, it sounds like he does.

My thoughts exactly about him starting and teaching Beck and Mathis.

Yes! Beck may earn the starting job anyway...it will be interesting, and I am already excited about G Day!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So this is a very informative article. Thanks, Jeff. One particular line in the story stood out to me, though, and it's this one: "It is misguided to think any freshman QB can match the football I.Q. of an SEC champion QB who won a Rose Bowl, played for a national title . . . "

Why is this so "misguided?: Isn't this EXACTLY what Jake Fromm did as a freshman. Jalen Hurts as well (although he played in the Peach Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl). And, although he played in a different conference, Trevor Lawrence did it, too. Going back to Fromm, the fact is that he reached these lofty accomplishments ONLY in his freshman year. So recent history tells us with quantifiable evidence that not only is this not misguided thinking, it is, in fact, totally feasible thinking.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In stead of belaboring a bailer like Cade.......lionize Carson Beck awhile. This kid has the juice! He is going to be better than Fromm eventually. You get that gut feeling with some players....superior mentally and very good physicality...especially for a QB. Such promise! Moreover, he truly loves and lives for football...UGA football. Has already practiced with the squad. Is a quick study of defenses just as Fromm was. Carson actually studies various formations and makes up his own plays. A leader! His HS coach says no one he knows of has an arm like Carson's...even Stafford. Excellent resume'. He needs some college experience, especially SEC. I am high on this kid.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Reportedly, Mathis has accuracy issues. Hopefully, his non-contact period has been dedicated to correcting that issue. If not corrected, we don't need a tuck and run QB, we need an escape and get the ball downfield with an accurate throw QB. Loved Fromm but his Achilles heal was throwing accurately while on the move. Beck's athleticism could be major plus when added to an elite football acumen. The rumors of UGA's sudden demise has been greatly exaggerated! Is it possible Tuscaloosa will be Beck's South Bend where Fromm had his coming out party? Go DAWGS!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

it’s going to be interesting if we don’t get a grad transfer to see how quick he or Mathis has developed enough to handle the heavy front end of our schedule. Virginia in week 1, Alabama in Tuscaloosa week 3, Auburn in week 5. However, a lot of people didn’t think Fromm would be ready for ND in week 2 of his freshman season but with the help of many, he managed.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is it that some people say Georgia should look for a quarterback out of the transfer portal? I say they should play the kids they have and recruited. Develop them into being great quarterbacks or risk the chance of them entering the transfer portal because they are not afforded the opportunity to play. You know with today's kids....they are not to loyal nor show commitment with their decisions. You cannot please everyone as coaches, but you can be fair with the kids you recruit instead of bring in outside help from the portal. In most cases, the kids in the portal hardly pan out.

• Options
    GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can see both sides. The defense next year should be of championship quality with so many seniors coming back. You want to maximize your QB room to hopefully take advantage of that next year. On the other hand you lose some of that game time development of these young QBs working with these young receivers which could pay dividends a year or two down the road. Bird in hand kind of thing. It’s a tough call.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he probably has the best chance to win the job as anyone of the three.....Bennett just doesn't have the skills and, I like Mathis, but it looks like a strong wind would knock him down if he decided to run....

The QB position is one of the hardest to predict...Look at Burrow......He was an average QB until this year when he went crazy...it takes time to develop and many aren't given that time. I know Beck is a pro style QB however I want him to be like Lawrence....I was impressed by how Lawrence is not afraid to run with the ball when he had to....Fromm never had this ability

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like Beck a lot, but we are looking at Malik Hornsby outta TX. Dual threat guy. Posses a great arm, ability to run the heck outta the read option. Look at his tape throwing deep dimes and throwing dimes on the run. I would love to have him. He might not start as a freshman. He is listed 6 2 175. Might need a year to put on some muscle to handle the SEC rigors.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

He has the arm to stretch the field and force the safeties to stay out of the box

That alone will be an improvement where Fromm seldom to never was willing to push the ball deep