Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What we know about Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman's Georgia football status

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat we know about Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman's Georgia football status

Wake Forest graduate transfer quarterback Jamie Newman has enrolled at the University of Georgia, and ESPN reported that he has committed to play football for the Bulldogs. Newman, however, had not made any public statements about his college football intentions as of Saturday morning. Newman was 220-of-361 passing

Read the full story here

Comments

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, if he's enrolled, that pretty much settles it, doesn't it? I'd bet he didn't enroll just to get a Masters degree. His YouTube highlights says he's a big time player. I hope that remains true in 2020. Now, the Bama game is really on!

• ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

I am sure this has been in the works since he put his name in the portal. Certainly good news.

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

now, he needs to get in and absorb the playbook, Speaking of which, the playbook needs to be WIDE OPEN!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

Is it possible that  we are also pursuing another grad transfer? Could Newman move on and enroll at a different school and still play next year? It would seem that it’s a done deal if he’s enrolled, but the silence on both sides makes me wonder.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah like I was reading online, he could enroll at UGA but still pull out. So until there's official word, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I hope he comes to UGA, but also don't want to get too hyped up. Would be loads better if he had 2 years left, ala burrow. But then again, that would cause funneling affect for recruits/scholarship QBs on roster now. Maybe something will be released later on today. Either by him or UGA.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, assuming all the predictions on Newman coming to UGA are true, you've gotta love the position the DAWGS are in for 2020! Let the QB competition begin...but, if he's only eligible for one more year will Kirby have to commit to playing him in order to get him? Will there be no competitors for the starting QB job? Will any of our current roster QBs enter the transfer portal if this is true?

Lots of drama unfolding...

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With Kirby's loud mantra of "practice determines who plays", I cannot imagine him not staying true to himself. To not stay true to that philosophy would be "rat poison" to current team members and future recruiting prospects.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing was surprising about Fromm leaving. Dawgnation reporters are the worst except Sentell.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems strange but exciting if the guy lands here. Regardless, this has been the strangest recruiting cycle I can ever remember

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This young man is no recruit. He is tested and proven in NCAA competition. He is a graduate transfer. No question. It is weird that neither UGA nor Newman have announced his transfer except in the UGA enrollment register? ESPN surely did.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just wrote that on another thread...will current QBs transfer if Jamie is guaranteed the start. Very real possibility. Carson Beck comes and cannot compete for the slot...? He's gone. Just like Fields. Bennett...been around awhile...I would think he would hit the portal....Mathis...his brain surgery should keep him from football period. Very dangerous situation.

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

“ Coach Kirby Smart still has another vacancy on his coaching staff to fill. There’s been speculation it could be another bright offensive mind.”

Who is the bright offensive mind that we already have ?

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This was a good pickup. Now we need to adjust our offense and use this guy's talents. No more check downs because you can't go broke making a profit style offense. need to spread those guys out and throw the ball up make them respect the perimeter the running back and the quarterback run threat. And then let the defense do what they do.

• UGAThomasBrownUGAThomasBrown Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

"New offensive line coach Matt Luke, a former offensive coordinator and head coach at Ole Miss, has already played a role in the shift in philosophy."

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Coach Smart is not going to guarantee Newman the starting job. It would be a big mistake all the way around if he did. However, he is going to guarantee him an opportunity to compete for the starting qb position and that's what will insure whoever wins it will give us our best shot. I think Beck will battle him and who knows but if Newman wins the job, I think Beck will understand and continue to challenge Newman. I hope Mathis is ready and safely able to compete. It won't be until May or June most likely before D'wan is allowed contact so G-Day will have come and gone. I'm sure he'll be taking snaps and running plays but won't be involved in contact so you would think that puts him at an disadvantage but it could also put him way ahead of the curve in other areas. Stetson realistically is probably in a no win situation here.