Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Quarterback trainer: Jamie Newman fits new direction Kirby Smart taking Georgia football offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,429 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageQuarterback trainer: Jamie Newman fits new direction Kirby Smart taking Georgia football offense

Georgia is taking a new direction with its offense, and Kirby Smart has found a graduate transfer level quarterback to help lead the way in spring drills

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Push it down the field, not the check down King

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A perfect storm is brewing in Dawg Nation! Our new OL has winter, spring, and summer to become more mobile and athletic. Pulling linemen, moving pockets, and all the skills needed to take advantage of Newman's talents that have not been an option for several years. Eight, nine in the box? Press coverage? Bring it on! These Dawgs are going to be fun to watch!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Newman is no check down guy. He to me is Mr. Versatility. He will get you to the House one way or the other. Fromm lacked that one dimension...running. He did scramble on occasion but was not considered a running QB. If Foley will let him do his thing...Newman will "push it down field." TDs...not so many field goals. He has to get to know who he's got as receivers and who he can depend on. He should love Pickens' aggressive style.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Finally a QB that can move.

• Options

Newman will fill in the gaps for sure, ShoottheHooch. I am seeing up to three safeties trying to hold down the Dawgs...lolol. Coley will create this "moveable feast" during down time...hopefully. He has to get a sense of who this guy Newman is and what he has to do to sync. him to the offense and conversely. I am seeing a whole new "look" for UGA.....not just manipulations. The dynamic is different...open...you are right...pulling lineman, moving pockets....working options. WRs that help keep momentum moving down field...while backs press the line keeping the defensive backs honest. Like it.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not sold...I'd rather give the job to Beck if he proves himself this spring...I'm thinking a lot of people see this guy as Georgia's Burrow......the chances of that are small

• Options

Just going by the stats, BoulderDawg. I too very much like Carson...but he has to prove himself as a SEC QB....Newman is not the second coming of Burrows...no. You do need a starter who is familar and adaptable to college schemes. If Carson can better meet coaches needs, so be it. On the surface...Newman will be hard to beat. That is all we are saying. Pollack and Richt are pretty good reads on QBs...they feel Newman could be one of the best....for a year! Then Carson for sure could step up. Absolutely.

• Options
    ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I like that he's going to be there in the spring and learn chemistry with the rest of the offense plus he will be competing with Beck and Mathis in a true competition and not in a battle with an incumbent who is like a surrogate son to the head coach and had QB'd a team filled with all time great Bulldogs to a near-national championship.

Fromm is a great guy and was a good QB but he was obviously limited physically.

There may be growing pains next year but get ready to see a more explosive dynamic offense.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

So excited to see this offense evolve past the 'can't get broke taking a profit mentality.' Looking forward to seeing a QB with an arm teams will respect.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 350 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we are seeing the beginning of a QB style change at UGA. Which is fine, since all the successful programs have more mobile QBs. This makes for a less predictable offense too and harder for defenses to prepare. We might could take more use of Cook's pass catching talents too (granted he comes back from injury).

• Options
    DawgOnTopDawgOnTop Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I loved the comment about how he'll have the time to study the play book because he'll be taking online classes. Kind of pathetic but the way it is these days. I remember the early 90s when I was on the track team and took a class called "Contemporary Georgia." It was a rocks and jocks course. One of the exam questions was, "which of the following interstates does not go through Atlanta: 20, 75, 85, or 95?" It was yesteryear's version of today's online courses. Good times. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok, Mr Newman enters as a Grad transfer with expectations to start. I hope he does if if he's the best to help our cause. Our current players will hopefully give him some competition and push to improve. Great news to get some experience in game situations other than a newbe to to college football.....All the reviews from various sources has been good. We will see with G day and the practices leading to the spring.... Maurice Smith, L.Cager, E. wolff did well!!! GO Dawgs

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

While UGA fans cry about the Wrs and try and make up for Fromms poor play I guarantee you Newman is smiling ear to ear because every starter and 2nd team guy he will line up beside at UGA is better than the top wr he threw the ball at in his previous season ….. The OL is better and will gibe him much more time to throw..... The Rbs will give him more man to man chances down field and he has the arm and willingness to throw deep and back the safeties up from the line crating more room for the Rbs

all and all I was happy if Fromm had stayed and I am excited about the potential that opened up for the team with his departure

• Options
    BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

A lot of you may not be sold on Newman but Pro Football Focus lists him as the #3 returning QB in the nation, just behind Lawrence and Fields. He sounds like the real deal.

• Options
    DawgvilleDawgville Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

How does anybody know what Kirby was going to do with the offense? Pretty sure he doesn’t tell every reporter that he passes. Most fans knew that all of the elite teams have a mobile quarterback and Georgia needed the same. Hopefully they will try and use all of the abilities that Mr. Newman has. DJ Shockley has somewhat the same skill set and he did pretty well for himself. Wishing the whole team the best in their preparations for next season.