Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What the Georgia football offense still needs after landing Jamie Newman

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat the Georgia football offense still needs after landing Jamie Newman

Georgia football added a major piece to its offense on Saturday when graduate transfer Jamie Newman announced that he would be playing for the Bulldogs during the 2020 season. "As I look ahead, I am excited about joining such a great football program under the leadership of coach Smart and offensive coordinator,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Compared to other championship calibre teams, I think UGA has enough talent. We just need a good game plan, scheme, and in-game adjustments. What would coaches like Kiffin, Spurrier, or Riley do with our talent?? Easier said than done of course.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only excuses, poor coaching, and lack of execution should get in the way on the Dawgs making it to the playoffs in 2020. We've certainly got the talent no matter what Conner may want to infer. Experience comes in the trenches. 75% of Clemson's starting lineup are freshman and sophomores, and they are about to play for a Natty.

Kirby going 0-3 against Bama is NOT an option.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m worried about keeping our depth in the QB room. Mathis and Beck are both going to want to play, and Mathis especially will be eager after waiting a year. One would think that he would feel significant loyalty to UGA after the events that have transpired, but if he’s buried in the depth chart that will be an understandable source of frustration. If Newman wins the job, keeping both Mathis and Beck on the roster will be a tricky proposition, especially when one of them would still be relegated to the backup role in 2021.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Broderick Jones and Sedrick Van Pran are top priority for sure but I would like to see Daijun Edwards suit up as well. He's a strong kid with good balance, runs between the tackles very well and he's a good pass-catching rb. Kirby will have a plethora of elite players but the future of the program hinges on good play-calling, in-game adjustments and playing the best players on the team.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My guess would be about the same as Kirby will do with the exception of Kiffin, he would do far less.

• Options

I agree with a lot of your post except Mathis being buried in the depth chart. Not saying he won’t end up there but Right now he is a starting prospect along with Beck and Newman. Honestly I’m not sure Bennett is ruled out yet but I feel like if we get to there, the aforementioned 3 are not living up to their potential. But like you said, if Newman wins the job and I’m not necessarily convinced he will just because he was 12 to last in D-1 in interceptions last year and that won’t keep him on the field at Georgia. The highlights look good but that is just what they are, Highlights. But if Newman does indeed win the starting job and Beck gets the #2 spot, then the chances Mathis may enter the portal will increase. Same could be said for Beck but I really think he would wait until after his sophomore year and see how that pans out. The transfer portal is really going to make it difficult to stack 4 and 5 star recruits at the Qb position year after year.

• Options

I’ve watched a lot of Daijun all 4 years of his high school career. Daijun was is a hard runner between the tackles. He is the type kid where if you have a mobile qb then he can be really effective. Hits holes pretty quick and drives the pile. However, I think it may be a task to pull him from FSU.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tommy Bush and Matt Landers were both four stars that have been on campus for a couple seasons. Those guys need to step up or move on. Landers needs to work on his hands in the off season. His one TD reception was caught with his body. Dude drops passes that hit his hands far too often.

I am certain CKS will bring in at minimum one TE with experience that is immediately eligible, TE will be the least experienced position on the team. I wish they would have done more to develop the guys that are still on scholarship by giving them more playing time.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jones and Van Pran must be signed. Jones has been lured back to Arkansas by Pittman prior to his UGA visit. He will be hard to pry away from Pittman....the snake oil salesman. Pittman recruited for himself....as we can now see. Jones was one of his commits. Anyway, Daijun Edwards, I am reading, is 80% FL State. Dell McGee the RB coach is the UGA contact and Daijun, from what I read, does not have a visit to UGA scheduled. His FL visit is Jan 31. McGee better get on the stick or this talented GA boy is gone. FL State is doing some seriously heavy recruiting. Many players entered the portal...from what I read.

Also, I do believe Mathis and even Beck could transfer if Newman starts. Beck is eager to play as is Mathis with a year off for that brain surgery. UGA cut him some serious slack keeping him on the active roster. But these kids want to play...badly. As we know, QBs are hard to keep......the NFL saw to that. They need to get that grade up when they declare.

Overall, UGA is fine and will do well this year. I do not agree with Connor on this one. He has to create a story to keep the ball rolling!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This talk of Beck transferring seems panicky to me. He's been committed for almost a year, and by all appearances, enthusiastically so. He stayed committed knowing there was a good chance that Fromm would still be here next year (count me among those surprised that he won't be). Assuming Newman wins the job, Beck knows it's guaranteed that Newman will be gone after one year. It's not a scenario where he's only a year behind an established starter who's still got years of eligibility. I mean, who knows what may develop, but taking it at face value, I see no reason to worry.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice coverage, Connor.

I agree with others that talk of Beck (or Mathis) transferring is premature. Many people expected Fromm to return, and Beck talked of learning as much as he could from him... the (realistic) expectation that he'd be well-served to work his tail off for a year or two while soaking up as much as possible in the process. And of course if that hard work, right out of the shoot, earns him starts, that's gravy.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I respect the commenters who say transfer talk is panicky, and I don’t necessarily think Carson or Beck would go this year. My earlier comment was looking more toward 2021. Keeping both on the roster at that point could be tricky in the portal era. Not impossible, but tricky.