Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Numbers game: Comparing new Georgia QB Jamie Newman to Jake Fromm

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageNumbers game: Comparing new Georgia QB Jamie Newman to Jake Fromm

Jamie Newman ran a much different offense at Wake Forest than Jake Fromm did at Georgia, but their numbers had some striking similarties this season

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Open it up and make a defense have to defend the quarterback run. Come out and three or four wide and make the defense defend the whole field.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two thoughts:

1. when we have run slow-to-develop plays, I recall more failure than success. That may be me just remembering the bad more than the good, but I do wonder how well such a slow play would fare against the speed of SEC defenses.
    2. Do we know anything about Newman's ability to make pre-snap reads? My apologies if this has already been discussed.
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I normally love numbers, but this is Apples-Oranges. You can't compare Georgia and Wake Forest based on their teammates and the teams they play.

Watching the highlights and Newman definitely puts some heat on the ball. The one concern I have is that he did the same run-up-the-middle play for literally half of the video. Can that play even be run in the SEC and in high caliber games? I would think that you could run that consistently for the first couple of cupcake games but by the time you reach a Bama or so, you won't have those openings.

One thing I really liked? The high pressure passes. Nothing is more difficult than trying to throw a strike when you have a defender coming at you full speed 0.5 seconds away. He made those passes and seem unfazed by the pressure. Kudos.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So according to the stats, we do have Jake coming back, just one with better wheels.

If Newman can pass at least as well as Jake and add the escapabilty of the rush and throw in 500 yards rushing to boot. Sounds like a winner to me.

Another thing is Jake had a much better supporting cast surrounding him, NFL talent galore.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While this is some fun tidbits of information, this article is mostly a waste of space. You're trying to compare apples and oranges - a dual threat mobile QB to a typical drop back passer - different offensive styles, etc.

Let the QB competition begin in earnest come the Spring, and we'll see who comes out smokin'...

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG of season if we are already comparing these two. For what?

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think it's a done deal that Newman will come in and take the starting job. I'm thinking Stetson Bennentt is going to be hard to beat out. While smaller in size, he is faster and has a stronger arm than either of the new QBs, Newman and Beck. I remember in the aftermath of the Rose Bowl, LBs Lorenzo and Bellamy both said that Bennentt, who took on the role of Baker Mayfield in practice, was better than Mayfield. DC Tucker agreed and called Bennentt "a beast."

• Options

"you know he had serious issues seeing the field in competitive situations against a good defense, so his stats were overblown"

Justin fields, 1st year starting QB versus AP top 25 teams Comp-78 Att-125 COMP%- 62.41, YARDS- 1629.3 - Rating- 173.2

3rd year starter Jake Fromm- versus AP top 25 Comp-84 Att- 149 Compl.-% 56.4- YARDS- 964 . Rating-125.8

Yeh, just wait til next year when he starts seeing the field a little better. Probably win the Heisman instead of being a runner up. Way overblown. Kids a bust.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tilting at windmills if you will. Wake Forest is not playing in the same league as UGA. Commentors have rightly said: let them duke it out this spring and summer..best performer starts at least against VA. So many new team members and reads, on and on. QB strengths must match UGA game plan. That is Smart's and Coley's domain. Jamie has a better than average chance at starting...unless they already promised it to him Has anyone heard directly from Smart on this? I cannot believe we are that desperate. You'd have two to three QBs in the portal today. I still believe Carson Beck will show some real promise.

• Options

Bennet is definitely an overachiever at his size. Which is why he is on scholarship. That said, size matters in this league, unless you are an absolute freak like Russell Wilson(but he still was thick like a running back). Watch Newman's tape where he powers it across the goal line on a couple of goal line stands. Dude in full beast mode. He's Stetson , just on steroids. Stetson in High School and JR. College is different than in the SEC. Let the best man win, just don't see it being Stetson. Was the defense allowed to hit Stetson in practice? Baker Mayfield another real solid dude physically.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Smilesterr: Among my friends, I defended CKS's decision to stick with Fromm all of 2018 and up UNTIL mid-season 2019 I thought he was the better QB because I had never really seen Fields actually play. I don't count the token snaps he played in 2018 because it was borderline coaching malpractice to have him hand the ball off the majority of the time or run a QB power. However, after 6 games as the starter at OSU, how can anyone outside of Jake's family and close friends say he's a better QB than Fields. If they both had enrolled at the same time, who thinks Jake would have beaten Justin out. It's a bit shortsighted to question Justin's play against good competition if you don't question Tua against us in 2018. Burrow and Lawrence are the only two QB's who have not struggled against good competition and it's not breaking news that top flight QB's have struggled in big games. I still don't regret Fromm being our QB for the last three years but Justin is better because he can make the same throws, is just as cerebral with the added dimension of mobility. Jake is big-time and so is Justin and keep in mind this is the most football Fields has played since his junior year of high school. He broke his finger his senior year and received token snaps as a freshman at UGA.

I hope CKS names a clear cut unquestioned starter after spring ball is over because whomever it is will need all of the reps to get ready for the season. Newman will need the reps to learn a new offense. Beck, Mathis, and Bennett will need the reps to offset a lack of game experience. Splitting snaps in fall camp with 4 QB's sounds disastrous.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1

Juusstt the right amount of sarcasm after the facts you presented. Hilarious!!

• Options
    GABirdDAWG69GABirdDAWG69 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Addition by subtraction is a good thing... Go DAWGS!

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Fields more talented than Fromm? Of course. And he definitely put up better numbers this year. The tricky thing is looking past the numbers. You compared top 25 teams in your stats, but several teams in the Big Ten were highly inflated in ranking for the whole season. Let's not forget that Penn State beat out Clemson for the #4 spot in the first rankings. OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin had a pretty good year, but the rest of that conference is sad. They showed it head to head in the bowls with the SEC too, except for our buddies in Auburn who decided not to show up and play once again. We can thank their lack of effort for UCF's claim of "a perfect national championship season."

My point is, the Big Ten is an absolute joke, but will remain highly touted because of the money they bring in and the history of many of their schools.

• Options
    GABirdDAWG69GABirdDAWG69 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Your last comment is why he is an upgrade at the position. If he can do that on a consistent basis he want have to do that run up the middle all the time that you are concerned about. He did all that with WF talent around him and still put up better numbers than Jake did. Yeah its the ACC, but its still WF talent. He made that team better by making plays with his legs, but more importantly with his arm. He's getting an upgrade at every position around him, just imagine what he can do with a cleaner pocket to work from along with RB's and WR's to help carry the workload. I am more than satisfied with this pickup and look forward to watching him make plays.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

one thing is for sure, when lines up in the SEC it will be obvious how he compares. Cherry picked stats will serve no purpose. I hope that if he wins the starting position that he lights it up with wins regardless of stats or comparisons.

One thing he will really have to improve is protecting the football. Let the battles begin!

• Options
    Hedges27Hedges27 Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

LOL! Too many UGA people have the proceed with caution approach to Newman. And don't get too excited about Newman. He played in the ACC(on a team with sub-par ACC talent). The only thing he may have had comparable to UGA is the receivers and more creative offensive scheme. The Offensive line was worse, and running game minus him was almost non existent.

1. The clip of this slow-to-developing play was against Clemson. I'm not saying you run it every play, but it CLEARLY gained positive yards against Clemson's defense. But you are concerned about it working against "SEC defense's???" LOL.

2. I understand Fromm is a legendary student of the game(pre-snap reads etc.). However, let's take the Baylor Sugar bowl game for example. Fromm ran the the same exact RPO that Newman ran at Wake Forest half of the Sugar Bowl game. It was the simple 3-5 yard hitch routes to George Pickens. Fromm had the option to hand it off to the RB or throw Pickens. However, Fromm is not a threat to run which will limit such a play. And when Baylor decided to press instead of the hitch you throw the fade. There was nothing complicated at all about that. Pickens ended up with almost 200 yard receiving and half of Fromms production.There's no complicated pre-snap read. You read the play as it develops. I love Jake Fromm. But get excited about Newman. If they guy is not successful it will be on coaches not his skill set or ability to read a defense. John Ryhs Plumlee torched LSU. You think people were talking about his ability to read a defense? It's about coaching and scheming him up. If they guy was going to LSU or Oklahoma next year I doubt people would be talking about pre-snap reads. My concerns are are will UGA tailor the offense to his skill? Who is this 10th assistant? Who is the Offensive analyst? Expecting him to run the Jake Fromm offense WILL NOT WORK.

Newman stats per game: 240 PY, 50 RY, 32 TDs 11 INTs

*Another nugget is he actually ran for 721 yards but due to sacks his net yardage is 574. That would've also made him the leading rusher as well on Wake Forest AND he missed 2 games. Imagine how good it will feel for him to join a team that can actually run the ball outside of his production.

If you are a fan of UGA get behind this guy. Pro Football Focus and others don't just throw out favorable stats to anyone. He is a future NFL draft pick at QB. Not saying 1st round(though I think he could be especially with the amount of qbs that get drafted in the 1st round, heck it may be the 5th round but he will be drafted.) BTW, I also think Fromm is a late 1st round early 2nd round pick (I see 5 qbs taken by mid second round).

It will be on the COACHES to scheme him up!

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options

"My point is, the Big Ten is an absolute joke"

Not the SEC for sure, but a joke? Hardly.

Tennessee barely escapes Indiana. Indiana played without it's leading rusher. Indiana held the lead all game til late in the 4th quarter. They outplayed Tennessee. They lost by 1 point to an ascending Volunteer team.

Michigan gave BAMA all they wanted for 3 quarters til BAMA pulled away at the end. BAMA was a top 4 team til the LSU loss.

Minnesota beat up Auburn. Easier to just say they didn't show up, I suppose. Derrick Brown even played.

Wisconsin lost by 1 point to Oregon the number 7 team.

Penn St. rolled over Memphis.

Ohio St. gave Clemson all they could handle with their 1st year starting UGA transfer.

"Absolute joke? Hardly.