Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What the success of recent transfer quarterbacks does and doesn't mean for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat the success of recent transfer quarterbacks does and doesn't mean for Georgia football

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. What Georgia football will look like with Jamie Newman at the helm By now, you've probably heard about how three

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Receiver depth may again be an issue to start the season, with only Pickens having had much success. Jackson and hopefully Blaylock will be healthy, but it just seems to take a while for a repaired knee to break in.

The talented freshman receivers and Darnell Washington will be a help, but still freshman needing to learn the system. By the midway point of the season, it could start to be a potent and balanced offense.

The defense may be outstanding. This may be an offense that gets much better down the stretch...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"... Bennett is the only one of those three who has thrown a pass ..."

Wait, what??? Neither of the two other QBs have ever thrown a pass? Oh boy, we are in some serious trouble...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that if Smart and the OC (I'll just leave it generic for now in case the coach changes LOL) design an offense around Newman's strengths, I think we've got a real shot of having a powerhouse offense this year if the hype is any indication (it often is).

The problem started with Richt. Richt believed that the Pro Style Offense was the "right" thing to do. It was what the "next stage" used and so he wanted to emulate that and prepare his players for that. He lost focus of what he was paid (very handsomely) to do which was to win at the COLLEGE football level. Players like Tebow would've been a huge failure under Richt.

Smart is definitely different, but I think that maybe having such strong RBs (and a history of strong RBs) led him to continue that process. It has to change.

Look, you have to be "light on your feet" in terms of coaching and experiment and adapt. There is nothing wrong with "old man football", but you need to always make sure it's your most successful strategy. You don't play NFL Blitz and choose a run-heavy strategy. You adapt to the strengths that are given to you as well as the weaknesses.

Lots of potential here and Fromm's declaration MAY have kept Mathis from transferring as he knows he's got a decent percentage chance to win the starting job. I'd love to see a multi-prong offense where both Mathis and Newman have custom plays developed for their strengths and allowed to BOTH try and win games for us. Don't underestimate the fact that the opposing D would have to prepare for 2 different QBs.

We'll see. Lots of time to talk about it for 7 months... Ugh. When is the G Day Game again???

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hope? Sometimes after reading these articles, I feel less than before reading it. I know the obvious - I just do not like reading of it. Still, I CAN hope Kirby changes the offense up and loosen things up a bit by having a more dynamic passing game that not only compliments the run game, by enhances it. But, after reading articles like this... GO DAWGS!

• Options
    tglenn93tglenn93 Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

Let's be blatantly honest... Newman didn't transfer here and Kirby didn't bring him here to ride the pine. He will be our starting QB and he should be, he is extremely talented from everything I have seen and brings experience to the table. I think our offense stays relatively close to the same. The play calling at times was suspect this year... however there was a lot of very poor execution as well. It will be nice to have a QB that when running the zone read will keep the ball from time to time.. as much as I enjoyed Fromm's tenure at UGA the zone read was essentially a handoff. The ability to go get 4-5 yards when no one is open will be nice as well... it seems like in todays college game having that QB that can get 4-5 yards on a 3rd down to move the chains is the difference between winning and losing.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

If uga utilize this kid the right way, they could have a special season. Jamie Newman gives us an advantage because he is a 2 year starter and every qb mentioned in this article are dual threats which bodes well for uga. Jamie Newman's worst performance came against Clemson but that offense had no chance against Clemson's DL - they were overmatched! They only recruited 3 four stars the whole time he was there so I wouldn't worry about that Clemson loss. Either way I'm rooting for the kid.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

At this point, just another guy to compete for the starting job. Gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng off season if we are already asking these types of question. 7 + pieces in 2 days by DN. Just another prospect and does not know UGA offense. Break.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Conner, you need to lighten up and be more optimistic.

Do you think Saban or Dabo's teams have all the right pieces every year? No. Yet, they both end up in the playoffs most years and often a National Championship at the end. That comes down to the right recruiting, coaching, and player development. If CKS wants to build a legacy Championship football program and join the big boys then he's going to have to consistently work through and manage what pieces he has and what he's missing. Is CKS good enough to take us to the promised land? We'll see.

We've got more than enough talent to make the playoffs and potentially win a National Championship in 2020. We've got some hurdles to get through but nothing insurmountable. No excuses if you want to win.

Winning isn't everything- it's the only thing when it comes to big boy football. Accept nothing less.

SIC 'EM DAWGS!!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want to share some honest feedback on Conner's video here. I hope that this is not taken the wrong way but I know Dawgnation can do better. I guess this is the first I've seen of Conner but this video should be embarrassing to DawgNation. This is propbably the most unprofessional video I've seen. The video was shot with a bad camera at a horrible angle. The biggest problem is with Connor's lack of professionalism. Do you want him dressed like that? IMO it looks way too casual for a professional video representing DawgNation. Connor is doing a video on news that broke a day earlier yet he seems unprepared and nervous. The whole video looks hastily done. I know DawgNation can do better. I hope again that this is taken as positive feedback as that is my intent in making this comment.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of the stuff being written and surmised about Newman, both by the "pros" at DawgNation as well as by the fans, is somewhat baffling to me. For example, this story, yet again, points out that no on should expect Newman to be "the next Joe Burrow." Well, what do we mean by that. No one thought much of Joe Burrow last year, his FIRST year as a transfer. And we may not have thought much of him this year if Joe Brady hadn't come along and really changed things up. So, quit saying that. There was only one Joe Burrow, but four teams made the playoffs, so obviously you didn't have to be Joe Burrow to get to the championship.

The other thing that bothers me is that people keep declaring that Newman needs to "earn the starting job," as if that's not going to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've yet to see where CKS has made any public statements about Newman at all. We know he's a pretty intelligent coach, so what would make anyone believe that he's not going to make the kid earn the job? I hope none of us thinks that one of the other QB's will outplay, out work or out hustle Newman, only to have Kirby give it to the kid anyway just because he transferred here. Give Kirby some credit.

But that said, ON PAPER, Newman would seem to be the best candidate to start for all the reasons Connor stated. Two of the three other candidates have never thrown a pass in a college game and the one that has, hasn't done it a lot. Newman was a starter at a Power 5 Conference school. Granted, it was Wake Forest, but it's still a Power 5 school. That means something. He's probably the most prepared person at this point to start, but we'll see where things stand after spring and fall practice.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My problem with big successes in 2020..mostly Bama right up front...Lose to them and we are down at least one.....that is if we got by VA. our first game? Lots of "ifs" right out of the blocks. To me...Jamie Newman could handle Bama better than any QB on UGA's roster. He has the experience as a fairly successful college starter. Then, later, Auburn, FL., etc on the way to SEC East....very challenging year!!! UGA defense will have to be peak. Will NEED a dual threat QB...solid passer/runner...Jamie is that. IMO. The others need to play more to realize their potential. I see no "beast", as was mentioned, on the QB roster? Bennett? He is a good back-up. He is no beast? Too short to read over the large linemen and LBs. Fromm is well over 6 ft. D'Wan is 6'6" or close. Jamie, almost 6'4". Carson is nearly 6'5". Carson and Newman have "wheels." D'Wan does too but I am still iffy about sending out this guy after brain surgery? IMO. Smart and Coley will make the call. I am just warming the arm chair.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You know, there’s one component to this UGA fans are turning a blind eye to. You think there’s any chance that we went out and got a mobile QB because we are concerned about the lack of experience/production from our backfield next year and may need a supplement? Especially given the losses on the O-line. Be careful before we assume this is a preseason top 5 team. Could be great but so much unknown.