Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National media projects where Georgia football will start in 2020 Way-Too-Early Top 25

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageNational media projects where Georgia football will start in 2020 Way-Too-Early Top 25

The 2019 season has officially come to an end and the Georgia Bulldogs finished the year ranked No. 4 in the final AP Poll. Only LSU, Clemson and Ohio State finished higher, and all three of those teams made the 2019 College Football Playoff. But as for where the Bulldogs might begin the 2020 season, it likely won't

Read the full story here

Comments

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think 6th is about right....The Dawgs have to replace 9 starters on offense....I would feel better if we had a top 3 dual QB coming in with a 6'4" 240 pound RB to knock people around......... but I guess we'll do with what we have......I'm still angry at how Georgia played against LSU and it has badly shaken my confidence in Kirby.....If coaching does not step up this year it could be a lot worst than 6th

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

The pre-season ranking matters since the playoff. It wasn't until after the ACC championship win that Clemson should have even cracked the top five. They proved last night that they were good enough (played LSU about the same as UGA) to be among the top teams - but, with their schedule, there was no reason for them to be anywhere near the top for most of the season. The only reason they were is the pre-season ranking - which isn't supposed to matter - carried over into week 1, then week 2, and on and on.

ESPN has been one of the best things for college sports . . . but, it has clearly been one of the very worst, too.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, all Kirby did this year was lead the team to an 11 and 1 regular season with five of our opponents having off weeks the week prior to playing UGA and only one SEC caliber receiver that was injured most of the season. If coaching had not stepped up in 2019 we could have been and probably should have been 8 and 4.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"(played LSU about the same as UGA)"

LOL! I don't recall being up on LSU in the 2nd quarter(did we at any time have a lead on them?) or making it a game into the 4th quarter. You lose credibility when you write stuff like that.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did you watch the offense last year? Yes we have to replace a lot of starters but that may not be a bad thing. It's an unknown and the offense will look vastly different compared to last year but I would argue that is a good thing.

I'm not sure how the game against lsu can shake someone's confidence in Kirby. What a ridiculous statement. That lsu team will likely go down as the greatest college football team of all time. That offense was special and our defense actually held them to less points than Clemson or Bama.

We are in just as good a position to win it all next year as anyone in the country. The offensive coaches were at a huge disadvantage this year with the personnel they were working with. The coaches recognized that and Kirby is addressing those shortcomings fantastically so far through our recruiting class, graduate transfers and coaching changes. If you don't have confidence in what Kirby is doing then you aren't paying attention.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama will either be playing a back up or TF at QB. UF loses their play makers and best defenders. Auburn must replace their OL and DL with marginal players. Tennessee is not close. I wouldn't trade the 2020 Dawgs for any team in the SEC.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree Clemson played a weaker schedule but they still deserved to be top 4 throughout the season. You can watch a team play and recognize how good they are even when they're playing inferior competition. Clemson may not have had the marque wins some other teams did but they were absolutely one of the best four teams throughout the course of the season.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't have a problem with Georgia being around 8, or better in the first rankings. I don't really get why anyone would expect them to drop-off any further.

The defense will likely be better. The 2019 offense didn't threaten any records, so with more talent at receiver and TE, I don't see any reason not to expect it to be improved at least by mid season. It could easily be a top 4 team by seasons end.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's the off-season now, so the experts get to voice their opinion on a top 25 poll that is irrelevant. Only poll that matters, is the final poll at seasons end..GoDAWGS!

Don't feed them any rat poison, go ahead disrespect them, make them have a chip on their shoulder. It almost worked for Clemson.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson #2. Give me a freaking break. Unless you are automatically giving the loser of the NC game a #2 slot, then that is complete BS.

Clemson lost by 17 points and it could've been 24 if it wasn't so "poor sportsmanship" to finish the job. So, not too much of a difference compared to our 27 point loss to them.

But yes, oh my, we lost in OT to Carolina. Too bad Clemson never came close to losing to another weak Carolinas college...

Clemson #2

• Win (almost OT) against UNC (unranked)
    • Win against Texas A&M (unranked)
    • Win against Virginia (unranked)
    • Win against Ohio State (#2)
    • Loss against LSU

Georgia #4

• Win against Notre Dame (#12)
    • Win against Florida (#6)
    • Win against Auburn (#14)
    • Win against Texas A&M (unranked)
    • Win against Baylor (was #7, now #13)
    • Loss against LSU
    • Loss (OT) against SC

I just don't get it. How is weak win against UNC and one ranked opponent (#2) that maybe should've been Ohio State's to win with a beat down against LSU, 2 SPOTS GREATER than FOUR Top 15 victories, the same beatdown to the same team and an OT loss???

Clemson should be 4th at best. Georgia should be 2nd or 3rd.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You DO realize LSU could've easily pushed it into the end zone and made it a freaking 24 point game, right? Burrow was also clearly injured and not at a 100% for several of the drives.

The game was statistically over with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd and Clemson had less than 5% chance of winning by the 4th quarter. LSU beat them down just like us, Oklahoma and Bama.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA is poll-heavy. Seasons rise and fall on standings polls. Sure, you need some sort of yardstick because of the CFP and bowls. But here we are already deciding who will be the cream that rises or the anvil that falls. I know I glean the polls to see where UGA is placed...are we ahead of Florida? Where is Auburn? If we are not in the top four or five, I pay no mind to those..unless FL shows up. So I suppose polls have their place in the scheme of NCAA football....someone has to measure a team's ...statistical....success. It does get wearisome when you speculate in the off season. So many unknowns. By the way, I spot UGA about 5th or 6th. Not 8th. But then all these new signees...LOLOL Get my drift?

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

The box scores and end results are about the same. I agree that UGA was never really in the game with LSU. But, if you were paying attention last night, neither was Clemson - even with their very brief lead. It was not a game in the 4th QTR whatsoever. You lose credibility when you write stuff like that.

The point is that Clemson and UGA were about the same - a toss-up if they played (Clemson favored, maybe by a bit?). Still, Clemson was always top 3 despite a horrible schedule. By the season's end, sure, they were in about the right spot. Not at week 5, though. The pre-season rankings are the only reason for their week 1 ranking of #1.

UGA was down 14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter, it was pretty much over at that point. LSU was down by 10 points in the 2nd quarter to Clemson. The half times score for us was LSU-17 UGA 3 . At no time did we ever put a scare into LSU. (Maybe the 1st pass play that was dropped). At the end of 3 it was LSU-34- UGA 3. Hello? LSU 35- Clemson 25 entering 4th quarter. Hello? You telling me a 10 point lead was impossible for Clemson to overcome? versus being down by 31?

Sorry to burst your bubble but UGA never was in that game with LSU. If so, then say when. The defense played admirably considering we only had 286 yds of offense. Clemson had 394 against LSU. We only ran the ball for 61 yards. Clemson ran it for 160.

I quit watching the beat down of our dogs in the 3rd quarter. I doubt any Clemson backer did that.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I sincerely believe we're good at 8. Let us get warmed up without LOFTY expectations. I'd rather charge for the top than play a top 5 match between us and bama and come out flat, then kirby's coaching credibility will once again be the forefront. Believe me, I love kirby. But if our offense doesn't change, we're gonna be in a lot of trouble. I mean even LSU's defense isn't the best, but they formed a simple game plan and we were out of it from the get go. And to disagree with other comments, we could've been in it with LSU had we had better push on the DL. Trying to stand up OL with 20-30 lbs more than you is a joke. I mean we had a couple qb hurries, but clemson, in a good portion of the game, lived in LSU's backfield.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's all fertilizer at this point. But I guess at this time of the year not much else to talk about other than how good LSU looked last night....

"I mean we had a couple qb hurries, but clemson, in a good portion of the game, lived in LSU's backfield."

Yep. and it still wan't enough to stop them, outside of being backed up on their own goal line. Who cares if you can run the ball if you're just playing pitch and catch.

Both Burrows and Lawrence got their offenses going with their running ability. I'm not saying you can't win a NAtty without a running QB. It's just so hard to defend that extra dimension when you're d-backs have their hands full with good receivers and your QB can wiggle enough to avoid a sack.