Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH ESPN experts: Georgia has 'Jimmys and Joes all over the place'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWATCH ESPN experts: Georgia has 'Jimmys and Joes all over the place'

NEW ORLEANS — LSU and Clemson took center stage the last football weekend, and rightfully so, but Georgia was not completely removed from the collegiate football conscience. Coach Kirby Smart has made the Bulldogs annual College Football Playoff Contenders in his four years leading the program. , Georgia has won

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Absolutely, UGA has alot of Jimmy's and Joe's... we just need to get better in coaching X's & O's. We are certainly not far off because talent is what ultimately wins championships.

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chris Doering has vested interest in UGA not being good this year as he is a Gator. His analysis is always somewhat clouded by his desires. Not saying his takes are unfair - just know that going in.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with them both, I think. I do not think it a good thing to have the defense CARRY the offense. At some juncture, the offense must be self perpetuating...or you have a house of cards...eventually. This year UGA is again looking at a newish offense and top mature defense. But, the new style will allow for the option of using the running QB if pressured or passing to open WRs and TEs...plus RBs that can do their job well. Execution! I'm a believer. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At one time we couldn't compete with the big boys because we simply didn't have the talent they had year in and out. Now we have the talent but we have to change our mindset to adapt to what college football is. You have to a have a dynamic offense, last night LSU showed the world yet again what you can do when you invest in the right people. That Tiger team is the most deadly offense i have seen in years, on first through 3rd down they are looking to go for the big play and put the nail in you early and often. We have to get away from that mindset that you have to out physical someone to win. this isn't 2011, its 2020 coach. We have weapons we cant even use right. we are wasting Cook, look at Mecole, he goes to the NFL and now he is in the pro bowl.....really? that means he should have been able to take over games when we had him but at times he disappeared. Not a good look coach, better get it right this summer! run run pass is dead!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ya beat me to it, Goodlife....

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

How can anyone not be excited about next season? In the baylor game we saw more toss sweeps or outside runs, more passes to GP, a defense capable of shutting down any opponent they will face next season and with the addition of Jalen Carter and Kelee Ringo the defense will be even more dangerous. I can't wait!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The offense as a whole has been behind the defense since day one of Kirby coming to UGA. Yes, we had Nick and Sony, but we also had to bring in Tyler Catalina, a guard at Rhode Island, to play left tackle in year one.

The big deal on defense is not 9 of 11 returning starters, it's the 18 to 20 defenders on the "no name" defense that play in every game.

Every recruiting class since Kirby has arrived, along with outstanding use of the portal to fill gaps, has made UGA's roster better than the year before. There's no indication of that stopping. That's what has made Kirby success in his first four years as a HC unprecedented! It is also the reason UGA has gone from barely a top 10 team to a top five team in just four years. A top five team with a bullet!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have a gut feeling that Kirby hasn't had that 1 or 2 guys that he fully trusts to run their offense and has kept a tight leash on them. I don't think he fully trusted Pittman and Chaney to run their offense without his overpowering influence. I think he trust Coley but not enough to say "here James, you have 100% control of the offensive side of the ball". The thing is, I understand that reservation because it's his toes that are on the line.

Now enter Matt Luke. Pair him with Coley and now I think Kirby has found the combo that he totally trusts and will for the most part turn the offense over to.

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Best thing for college football is LSU winning the National Championship one year after totally revamping their offense. Coaches that thought they could get by without modernizing their offenses will be forced to make changes. Now we reshuffle the SEC with Fromm and Burrow gone. I wonder how long it will take before I can remember Jamie Newman's name, if he will start, and how effective our new QB will be. Will UGA's running game be as explosive as in the past? That UGA-Bama game early in the season is going to be big, isn't it?

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Burrow was a two star recruit out of high school. Coaching changes and personal desire made him what he has become.