Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football hires Todd Monken as new offensive coordinator

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football hires Todd Monken as new offensive coordinator

Georgia football has made Todd Monken's addition to the Bulldogs' staff official

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was wondering...lots of "sources say" but no official he is hired until this article. Welcome aboard Todd....make us proud! You have the best team and staff at your disposal! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Kirby has lost some really good coaches since he took over but he has hired some good ones as well.

• Options
    GABirdDAWG69GABirdDAWG69 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Well I have to say I was actually OK with what Coley did the past season from a play calling perspective for the most part. He had some issues early on in the season with predictability, but he adjusted that pretty quick and by the time we got the Jacksonville, GA I thought he was doing a really good job calling plays. Execution was the biggest problem on the offense really all season and that part wasn't getting fixed and I think that's what precipitated this move. In his interview he said it starts with him and he was right. I'm good with this hire. I live in Florida near Tampa and the Bucs offense in 2018 was unstoppable minus the knucklehead under center, but Monken made that offense move the ball down the field. Good hire IMO really excited to see what he does with the new WF QB. Go DAWGS!!

• Options

I think that is a key element in the hire...Jamie Newman...I truly believe he is going to be the starting QB that Monken works with to jump start the 2020 season. He fits the QB resume' Monken best works with. IMO.

• Options
    GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m interested to see what this looks like in 2020. Hope they can get some other receivers to contribute. New receiving TEs coming in surely doesn’t hurt. Also should allow White to get some more open lanes and build his confidence.

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

With a good passing , mobile qb, good receivers and a good OC , the sky is the limit for the Dawgs. Good job Kirby.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow. Kirby doesn't mess around when it comes to changes. I had said earlier today that maybe Monken wasn't the best fit for us. What did I know. Ha. Coley is a recruiting master and hopefully Monken is the missing piece our offense has been needing to open things up a bit more. Time will tell.

Welcome Coach Monken!!

• Options

Kirby is on a mission....now you see it. Monken will not hesitate to shake things up offensively. He is perfect for this mission. I surmise he will be a drill sergeant. So, let's hope now for better things offensively!!! Monken sounds like a solid leader....team builder. Lots of quality experience. UGA needs this.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

i would like to toast to the death of the run run pass offense, that you Kirby, for a minute you had me worried that you were going to be Kirby Richt.......

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perfect timing for the big weekend.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

HELL YES! let's open up the offense instead of run, run, 3rd and long. Hopefully we will better utilize our offensive weapons next season. Can you imagine how DEADLY our defense will be if our offense can do more than three and out? Holy hell, this is going to be a good season.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It appears that Kirby is trying to duplicate his player recruiting prowess with his coach recruiting.

Well done Kirby. I think Kirby can completely turn the offensive driver seat over to Monken and Luke.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like this hire ! Go Dawgs !

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Still wondering about Coley.....Why did he get the job in the first place and why was he allowed to stay in a role (Assistant Head Coach) that could be anything...bringing Kirby coffee

• Options

Gets Kirby Coffee? Coley is a tremendous recruiter. Pittman had the same title as I recall. I suspect Coley will leave soon, anyway. Monken is now in charge of the offense.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like the move. Gotta give Kirby some credit here for making the change. It was obvious that with the talent we have, we underperformed on offense the entire 2019 year. And I rejected the notion that it was a result of player attrition. There are so many coaches around the country that would love to have our offensive roster. We just need to put players in the best position to make plays.