Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart recognizes his offense needs to change after latest Georgia football coaching moves show

SystemSystem Posts: 10,446 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart recognizes his offense needs to change after latest Georgia football coaching moves show

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia offense set to undergo radical changes after latest coaching hires It would've been easy for Kirby Smart

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I can't wait to see our offense next year!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I sure hope Newman and his "skillet" cooks up a lot of points for the Dawgs.

Kirby is not feeling pressure. Kirby is not hitting the panic button. Kirby is building a program! We are so far removed from what Richt left: players coming off the field after narrowly escaping Georgia Southern as if they had won the national championship, hoping we could back into the SECCG by the middle of October, and more on the level of bad TN teams, KY, and Mizzou than Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Kirby is doing what Kirby has done since his first day on the job at UGA: working tirelessly to make UGA the best program in the country!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart, being intelligent, and, above all, wishing to bring the National Championship back to his beloved alma mater, is willing to set aside his pride and do whatever is needed to make it happen. He is Saban's most beloved protege, having been his student for so long. That he was unwilling to vacate his position as Alabama's defensive coordinator when offered the job by Richt shows his intellect, for he did what was best that he may someday become our head coach. I was broken hearted when he turned us down, however, he made the right choice by making a decision than must have crushed him. Hind sight, being twenty-twenty, showed he is forward thinking and just what UGA needs. His recent coaching hires further confirms this. We are in good hands, and the fans of the colleges in the SEC, with their propensity to visit all sites having anything to do with UGA (leaving nasty comments) proves this to be true. These days the out of site (a play on words - not a misspell), of mind cliché is no longer relevant where UGA is concerned. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do not see it as being an opportunity cost impacting Coley, for he is still young, and working with an offensive mind like Monken is an opportunity gain like few others Coley could experience, if he approaches as such. After a year or two, if Monken is successful (with our recruiting, he should be very successful), he will be hired by a professional team to return as OC (à la Joe Brady), or head coach, or he will be hired as head coach by a formerly successful college program wishing to return to their days of glory. Coley will then have learned a great deal and may become a top notch OC. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" Smart also has to worry about getting farther and farther away from Georgia’s most recent College Football Playoff berth. The elite programs like Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama have all made multiple trips to the playoff. And the longer the Bulldogs go without a return trip, the more that 2017 feels like an aberration, instead of the norm. "

Bingo.

Do we want to continue to be a second-tier wannabe elite team or a football powerhouse?

Evolve the program or see it die a slow death. Kirby made some much needed moves. Good for him. Now lets see if it pans out in 2020.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ZbulldawgZbulldawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let us be reminded & not lead by certain local media staff that Kirby has won 3 straight SEC East titles & a SEC title & gotten us into the National Title game in his short time in Athens ! It took the coach that Kirby replaced 15 years to accomplish that ! Let's not dismiss what Kirby has done so far ! In reality Our program has never been as strong as it is today ! Now I have been a strong follower of Our Dawgs for 50 plus years & I want an another Natty just as bad as anyone ! And in all of those years I've NEVER witnessed as much negativity about Our Dawgs as I have by the local media & their followers ! The true DawgNation... The true believers in Our Georgia Bulldawgs shouldn't follow or put up with this negativity ! Instead we should ban together to stand strong & defend Our Dawgs against all outsiders & those who claim to be insiders ! Now it's time for us " THE DAWGNATION " to show unity & do our part to help Our Dawgs stay STRONG !!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"With what we know about him and his skillet, Newman might as well be the antithesis of what Fromm was the for the Bulldogs."

Yeah, I heard Fromm made his grilled cheese in the oven. Pfft.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"But time is no longer a luxury Smart has. He’s entering year five, and he’s still yet to win a title. Unfair as that might be, it is the main reason he replaced Mark Richt. So that’s why he’s had to make such radical changes this offseason, even if it comes at the expense of one his top lieutenants at Georgia in Coley." Correct.

Kirby Smart is a veteran college coach. He knows that coaches come and go....college football is what I like to refer to as ..."fluid." That goes for coaches...good coaches and players...good players...we have all witnessed this firsthand over the past season. We talk up loyalty. Three years at best for most NFL- bound players..doesn't bode well for loyalty. So you place tighter boundaries on loyalty. Returning players for their senior year evoke hallelujahs from us...that is loyalty for some but improved NFL grade for most others. Brand is another. Well, you know where this is going...coaches are looking out for their best interests and future....as we all do, as are the players. The greener pastures at one school become sage scub over time for another...greener opportunity. So, we take to family as the bond. UGA is your family...that works for some..did for Vandagriff....literally. A college does whatever it takes to remain THE perfect home and family for its recruited players and coaches. Coach Smart is no different. He is on his way to the top...believe it! That is his focus. He is proving it. GO GEORGIA DAWGS!!!

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

It could take a long time for an inexperience hc to win a national championship. It took coach Dooley17 seasons to win a NC. It's difficult to win a NC playing in the sec unless you can beat them. Paul Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles and Ed Orgeron all had experience when they won their first national championship and I'm quite sure they experienced a number of peaks and valleys before they realized changes had to be made. In hope Kirby catch on sooner than his predecessor.

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

We applaud Kirby for making the necessary changes needed to move our program forward in the world of rapidly changing college football.