Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart orchestrates amazing reinvigoration of Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,411 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart orchestrates amazing reinvigoration of Georgia football

ATHENS — It’s hard to say exactly what Georgia football will look like next season, but what a difference 6 1/2 weeks has already made. It has been an amazing and bold offensive transformation by Kirby Smart, a coach who can't seem to turn the pressure up on himself and his program enough with slogans like "Do More"

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

Well all of that remains to be seem....Is this an "amazing reinvigoration" or are we simply rearranging the deck chairs....I'll give him credit for not letting the grass grow but we still have 9 starters on offense that we have to replace

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I'm quite impressed. Who knows what will happen, but the main thing is that it's not the whole "everything is okay as is, next year maybe will be better". This is as close to as Smart can get with saying "our offense **** because of coaching and I'm fixing that right now".

It's all about adapting and Saban has reiterated that point.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the departures on offense from Fromm to Swift and several starting lineman, not to mention Pittman, many were already counting the Dawg's out for 2020, Florida had already caught GA, and with Mullen at the helm, it would be Florida at the top of the East.

Two weeks later, I really like the direction of the program. First, Pittman's line vastly under performed at run blocking, especially considering the talent he had to work with. Then Luke takes over and gets a makeshift line minus three starters to perform better.

The offense looked better over all in the Sugar Bowl, and I credit Luke and the improved line performance for much of it.

Now after all the coaching upgrades on offense, a senior transfer QB, it's hard to not see the offensive production improving over last year. This is a team who finished No. 4 despite the lack of offense, and is returning the best defense in CFB.

I hope Florida continues to get the media pick as favorite in the East. They get an advantage with an easier schedule and West opponent draw, this is Mullen's best chance to catch Kirby, and if he can't do it this year, then when?

No Mullen offense has ever scored over 17 points on Smart's defense since he came to Athens. With an improved offense, Kirby may even put more separation between his program and Mullen's. If that happens, how long before it's the Florida fans calling for an offensive upgrade?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If nothing else there is hope and optimism for a much brighter future(than there was after getting trounced by LSU, and seeing all the linemen and Jake leave)). Give credit to CKS, he's a fighter, he knows it's there for the taking in 2020 if he can implement all the right moving pieces. If it works, then coach of the year for sure.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

With all of these changes going on..one that is kinda overlooked is the addition of Matt Luke......I mean he did fail as a head coach but I think he can be top notch as an assistant...I liked his style leading up to the Sugar bowl.....We all have to admit that something just wasn't right with the Dawgs.......and that still may be the case but I did see a change as soon as Luke was hired

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were a lot of people on here "whining" about the offense this year. It was pretty lame at times. You do realize that this forum is just a microcosm of what the majority at large are feeling. Evidently CKS wasn't pleased to say the least with our offensive production, either. His shaking things up in the dramatic fashion he has shows his true feelings no matter how much he poo-pooed the criticism from national sports experts. columnist, beat writers and the fans. He took up for his team, it's what good coaches do, then they work to fix the problems they made excuses for or refused to criticize publicly.

• Options
    booker0815booker0815 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

i can’t stand Tennessee but is anybody starting to feel like this is our version of the 1998 Volunteers??? The lose their all time greatest QB and key offensive players and were wondering how they would replace them. Preseason #10 and went on to be undefeated and BCS champions. Here is the only time I hope we are like TN! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with everything you said Mike, but one thing that Orgeron (and LSU) have over Smart and UGA is that they capped off their magical season with a national championship, and no matter what happens next year or in the following years, they'll still have that championship. That's why the way the 2018 National Championship Game hurt so bad; win that and all of the stuff that's happened since (back-to-back losses in the SECCG, the pitiful showing in the 2019 Sugar Bowl, losing to SC this past season, the early departures of Swift and Fromm and Wilson and Thomas) wouldn't sting quite as much because we could always say you know what, we won a championship.

I hope we do it this year. I really do. Like most Dawg fans, I'm quite impressed and optimistic about the recent changes by Kirby. Next trick is to translate all of this off-season euphoria into a championship so that Smart can also say that he's a national championship coach. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Come on Dawgs, I'm running out of years.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, not that my opinion matters; but, WELL DONE! Great article!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We will be at 85 Scholarships when both Van Pran and Jones sign in February. Does that answer your questions about the class?

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Smart's changes and non-stop recruiting have certainly kept us in the national conversation (in the offseason at least) and I am grateful for the excitement and possibilities the changes bring with them. Like a lot of folks I was concerned Smart wouldn't do much to the offense but have been so pleasantly surprised with the changes I'm looking forward to offseason updates like I haven't in a long time. The upcoming season went from borderline dread to exciting in a few short weeks

I'm hardly predicting a run at the Natty this year... I've given that up when it comes to Georgia (nothing short of a natty breakthrough will cure that). But I will say that despite Smart's "Pressure is a privilege" mantra, the fact remains that historically Georgia has often had their best seasons when there were very low expectations. So who knows? Why not Georgia? Why can't we win the East again? I look forward to seeing how Florida handles the pressure of being the favorite. Cousin Eddie is no Butch Jones, but he's still Cousin Eddie, and Smart's teams or defenses have played well against him. Georgia needs to keep the momentum going against Florida (and let's be honest, why shouldn't we? We did after all let them reel off 7 and 8 game win streaks against us!). If we do, we'll make the Georgia-Tennessee game in mid-November, with all the prodigal-son/transfer-portal/severed-pinky drama heading into it, THE biggest game of 2020 for the Dawgs.

• Options
    joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

Kirby's biggest weakness as a UGA coach has been getting too close to a certain player & staff and letting those relationships interfere with football business decisions. Close personal relationships with players & staff results in stagnation. Hopefully, he realizes these traits have cost him at least one NC.