Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tracking Georgia football offseason, anticipating Kirby Smart's quarterback derby

SystemSystem Posts: 10,701 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageTracking Georgia football offseason, anticipating Kirby Smart's quarterback derby

Georgia football has had a busy offseason, but it's Kirby Smart's style to slow play things, one decision at a time there have been offensive changes

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not much of a derby...You have a three year starter against two guys who have never played college football......short of someone stepping up to astronomical levels, Newman is the starter no doubt

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yep, good old DN click bait headline that is just rehash of same article over and over. Subscribe to the Athletic. Great in depth article on Monken from Seth yesterday. And someone actually proofreads the articles. DN is worth what we pay for it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby coaching 101 filler. Griffith popped off an article on all-things-Kirby things to do before the Feb. 5 signing day....then you will see a flurry of pieces. Until then.....how's the weather? LOL

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike wrote - "It’s hard to imagine a complete overhaul, especially when Smart is insistent a power element to the run game exist in some shape or form."

Mike in many of your articles you seem to downplay the idea of a complete overhaul of the passing game. Do you really believe these two new offensive gurus were brought in to tweak the offense a little? Can you go on record and give your opinion of what an overhaul would look like?

UGA avg. throwing it 27.5 times a game last year. What would an overhaul look like to you? Averaging what? 35 times per game? Is that a tweak or an overhaul? Is 38 times per game an overhaul to you? Are you are saying you don't believe we will avg. throwing it 40 times per game next season? Is that what you're getting at? I don't believe anyone on here believes we will do that.

So, someone where between 28 times a game to 38 times per game(what LSU avg.) is either a tweak or an overhaul. Which is it?

But here's the thing, passing attempts are to some degree irrelevant. I was shocked when I discovered LSU only avg. 2.5 passing attempts more per quarter than UGA this past year. I expected to find that LSU passed it on avg. well over 40 times a game. They didn't. The difference is that they scored with the passing attack they had. They averaged 2 more passing TD's per game than UGA with those 10 extra passing attempts than UGA.

Production is the key, not necessarily throwing it 40 times a game. Hopefully the overhaul or tweak(just semantics) will be in the scoring dept. When the running game clicks it opens up the passing attack and it also works the other way around. When the passing attack is dynamic, then defenses can't just put 8 men in the box and shut down the run game.

It is interesting to see that LSU threw it 49 times against Clemson to win the NC. Play to your strengths.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭ Junior

I for one think Mathis will be a lot stronger competitor in the QB derby than most people think. While he hasn’t been able to go live action, he has been running pass skeleton drills for a whole season now as well as studying film and learning the playbook. He has a live arm by all accounts and good feet to move around the pocket. He doesn’t have the game experience of Newman obviously, but he has all the tools. However given the new OC, the system is going to change but I still think his experience from this past season will be valuable.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's Newman's job to lose. CKS wants to win and win now! Can't see him trusting the offense to a guy who didn't even practice last year, much less play, and a red-shirt freshman at that. Not impossible(hey anythings possible) but just don't see it.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimmyBob Keep those comments coming! It reminds me that some people don't always agree -- but at least you read and form an opinion, and that's a good thing. Everyone sees things differently. I enjoy writing about KIrby -- he's fascinating to me, as someone who has covered HOF coaches at Alabama and Tennessee, and seen many different perspectives since breaking in covering Auburn in 1993. Georgia has several good writers covering the team, in my opinion. I do my best to share my opinions and the knowledge I can pick up -- and I can assure you, those quarterbacks have all been told they have a chance to win the starting job and will be splitting reps in the spring. Sure, Newman is the favorite, and I've written that several times. But you can count on Kirby talking about his other QBs and giving them a chance -- and there will be a race for the No. 2, No. 3 and perhaps No. 4 spot -- regardless of who you or I believe will win it. It's great to know as much as possible about everyone at UGA! Have a great day, and good luck in 2020!