Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia basketball suffers deflating defeat, loses 22-point lead at Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,503 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia basketball suffers deflating defeat, loses 22-point lead at Florida

Georgia basketball competed, but the young Bulldogs simply don't play defense or communicate well enough to win on the road against quality teams

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike your earlier article stated Georgia had confidence going into tonight's game with Florida. If that was the case, I would imagine that's now gone as this season risks becoming a dumpster fire. I was very excited when Tom Crean came on board at Georgia, but now? I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if I read tomorrow that he was let go. That's how pathetic this game was. I watched most of it and Georgia was dominating. Sure, Florida's poor play helped, but in the second half, to borrow Jeff Schultz's phrase, Georgia played like trembling chihuahuas. Not sure Crean is the guy to get us back to the big dance.

And what was SO frustrating about this **** loss, was I started watching it in the happy glow of our no. 1 recruiting class in football. To see us dominating the hated Gators in another sport on the same day, was so satisfying... but only for a half, and not the half that counted. Pathetic.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t say this is unbelievable because it is believable. It’s typical Georgia basketball. I’m a Dawgs fan for all sports but I’m to the point now that I’d be happier if Georgia dropped men’s basketball all together. This is so embarrassing, losing 2 games in 8 days with a 20 lead in each one. Since I know they won’t drop basketball, then why can’t we go break the bank and get a top name coach to come here? Oh, because nobody in their right mind would. Enter Crean. He won at Marquette because people take them lightly and the big 10 was obviously down when he won at Indiana. How much more do us Dawgs basketball fans have to endure?

• Options
    mnbdawgmnbdawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

We can forget McGarity doing anything, he hired Crean and will never admit he made a mistake. Any coach that can sit and watch his team blow two 20 point leads in a week should just walk away. Without Edwards this team may have four wins at best.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tom Crean=Mark Fox 2.0

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kobe needs a Shaq.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

The worst part of all this is that as Edwards "shines" in these games ( and the high point totals mask the less brilliant parts of his game ), it becomes even more certain that he is "one and done". Then all the work getting the rest of the team better at "role playing" this year becomes wasted unless another "superstar" is found. The team doesn't seem to be able to handle success, blowing large leads. A 39-7 run shows that even Edwards fell prey to whatever it is that happens to them when they get a huge lead. Almost seems like they become overconfident and quit playing hard. They need to learn to play as if they are behind even when they have a big lead.

• Options

From what I've watched, they get a lead then start settling on long jump shots or 3 pointers instead of attacking the basket the same way they did to gain the lead.

• Options

It'd be different if this was an isolated incident, but losing a 20+ point lead in 2 of the last 3 games, and squandering leads in other games is not acceptable. I agree, without Edwards, UGA would be lucky to have 4 wins. Reminds me of the 70's when John Guthrie was the Head Coach of the UGA Basketball team.

• Options

Mediocre basketball has been the norm for UGA since the days of John Guthrie, quite a stretch of time.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA round ball game isn't ready for the big time. Two games lost after leading by 20 in both is a joke.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apparently it does not matter who UGA presents as the head coach in recent years.....they are all mediocre at best. This one is on McGarity. Take me back to Tubby Smith ...UGA head coach 1995-1997 ...20 wins back-to-back seasons...made elite 8 I believe...he moved on to KY and won NCAA Championship. Just sayin'........

• Options
    georgiajeepn2019georgiajeepn2019 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And to think I got 4 downvotes when I posted these same sentiments a month ago. Same old same old. Unless Georgia drastically upgrades their basketball facilities and shows they even give a hoot about basketball like they have football it would not matter if John Wooden's ghost was the coach.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

They play one half of basketball. If it's the first they lose if it's the second they win. Not too worried about this, but just can't see the light through the tunnel. It was more fun with Fox.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Who Tom Crean? He coached at Indiana. No, that was Bobby Knight. Oh!