Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Retiring referee admits they blew Tyler Simmons call in national championship game

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageRetiring referee admits they blew Tyler Simmons call in national championship game

It was a play that might’ve cost UGA the 2017 national championship. And Dan Capron, who is retiring as a longtime Big Ten referee, admitted that his crew blew the big call that helped Alabama rally to defeat UGA for the national title, in an interview with the Chicago Tribune’s Teddy Greenstein. Flashback: The

Read the full story here

Comments

• KBPKBP Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Much respect for admitting what everyone already knew but I would have had much more respect if he had admitted it the next day.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dipshit, that ain't the only blown call of that game. At least 2 face mask penalties were "missed." (sure they were)

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. If I recall, one of those was blatant and helped them in getting a stop on third down (Swift was basically tackled by the facemask), the inexcusable no-call essentially amounting to the refs taking the ball from Georgia and giving it to bama. And another two times Alabama players threw punches out in the open without being ejected. I'm not sure which was worse - the time that the refs assessed the 15 yards, acknowledging that the punch had been thrown, but decided not to enforce the other half of the rule, or the time the defender swung at Fromm's head when he was on the ground and the ref looking right at it from a few feet away did nothing. I believe the latter would have also given Georgia a new set of downs when they otherwise ended up punting. It's the damnedest coincidence, all of this started happening right around the time Alabama's roaring comeback began.

Yes, I'm still bitter. Usually after the heat of the moment passes, I calm down and remember that you win some and lose some when it comes to bad calls. There have been maybe 3 or 4 games in my life that have left me still upset about the officiating after more than 24 hours, and this one is at the top of the list.

• WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

Don’t forget the interception in end zone that was overturned.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Too little too late, does no good to admit it now, the correct call should've been made during the game. Mistakes are human nature, but seems those mistakes increase year after year, at the most inopportune time for a team.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were about 4 or 5 key penalties against bama that should have been called.

There was one play where not one but two of bama's receivers were down field before the ball was snapped. They scored a TD on that play! But the penalty was completely missed by the Refs.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama always has the refs on their side. Been this way for years, and anyone who watches a lot of college football knows this. And when things aren't going right for them, they resort to dirty tactics, or want to start fighting. I have a STRONG dislike for Bama. I hope we stomp a mud hole in their hiney this year.

TO HECK WITH BAMA!

GO DAWGS!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That video makes me sick to my stomach

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They blew more than those two calls on that one play. Nobody needs to tell us GA fans what those B1G officials did.

Alabama got away with a lot more than that...

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Refs make big mistakes...I know...my brother is a state ref in Florida. That was a game-breaker back then...sickens you. It does seem BAMA gets away with a lot. Let's hope not next September. Saban has no love for UGA, especially after his former DLC Kirby Smart was named #1 recruiter. Gotta hurt...lolol. UGA-BAMA game will make history! UGA will beat them!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jasper Sanks never fumbled either!

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will NEVER feel better about that game. We should have had that national championship, and it was stolen from us.

Admitting this after the fact is like admitting a mistake after someone has been executed. ....oh, well.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, did they ever! I think I counted about 10 missed penalties (blatant holdings, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.) that would have resulted in a UGA beatdown. Saban knew it too...he was coming unglued on the sideline, and then he had that defensive player go all nutjob on the sidelines.

I've asked Alabama fans to point out the blown calls for them, and have had no responses...because, in all honesty, I don't believe there were any.

They were all missed calls that would have benefited UGA. The one I couldn't stand was the unsportsmanlike no-call on the kid who shoved Fromm's helmet to the turf.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I already posted, but the one holding call that stands out was the 3rd down play with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter where Tua ran to the right then ran to the left and he evaded our tackles. The fact that he got the 1st down gave them a huge spark.

The holding call was where Roquan was bearhug tackled by a Bama OL. Had they called that, Bama would have punted and it would have just about been game over, because at some point they were running out of time.

And then we lose the game on the 2nd and 26. Yeah, that stung bad.

Winning in Tuscaloosa will be tough, but I hope Smart plays the 2018 NC Game for motivation.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hmmmmm........Lots or people crying about the officials